• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Oxley

If this is an attempt to suggest Ox might be in any way injury-prone,it is ,like other observations about our excellent former keeper,hopelessly misguided.
At his previous club Hibernian,he played in every game bar 3 ,over 2 full seasons.
For us ,he was ever-present in 2017/18 and absent for only 5 games last season.
In fact the only season he missed a significant number of games was 2018/19 when that clown Sol Campbell tried to ruin the career of young Nathan Bishop by keeping him between the posts for nearly 20 games....think Doncaster 1-7,Dover etc.

If this is an attempt to suggest Ox might be in any way injury-prone,it is ,like other observations about our excellent former keeper,hopelessly misguided.
At his previous club Hibernian,he played in every game bar 3 ,over 2 full seasons.
For us ,he was ever-present in 2017/18 and absent for only 5 games last season.
In fact the only season he missed a significant number of games was 2018/19 when that clown Sol Campbell tried to ruin the career of young Nathan Bishop by keeping him between the posts for nearly 20 games....think Doncaster 1-7,Dover etc.

You seem to have forgotten his forgettable first season 2016/17 when he played his last game on Dec 17th having played 24 matches.

In 2018/19 he was out injured between 15 December and 16 March.

In 2019/20 he was out injured when the season ended early having gone off on 15 Feb and missed the last 4 games.

2020/21 he missed 5 games injured between 24 Feb and 20 March.

Injured quite a lot for a keeper I would say ….

He's had Covid and dislocated his finger. Have I missed anything out? I don't think that makes him injury prone. As for the Ox, his back kept him on the treatment table a fair bit.
Fans at other clubs he has been at say he would pick up quite a few knocks/injuries during the season.

You seem to have forgotten his forgettable first season 2016/17 when he played his last game on Dec 17th having played 24 matches.

In 2018/19 he was out injured between 15 December and 16 March.

In 2019/20 he was out injured when the season ended early having gone off on 15 Feb and missed the last 4 games.

2020/21 he missed 5 games injured between 24 Feb and 20 March.

Injured quite a lot for a keeper I would say ….
How was his first season forgettable. If he hadn't of got injured we would have been in the Play-offs.

It was his form and the clean sheets that formed part of a great run before Christmas. Around the same time McL was also having his best form for us but had a season ender at Home to Charlton.....Less than a minute after hitting the post which would have put us 2-0 up. Don't think he ever recovered from that injury.....The fine margins of football.

Fans at other clubs he has been at say he would pick up quite a few knocks/injuries during the season.
True he should stay on his line and not risk injury. Who wants to see keeper claiming long throws under pressure and taking one for the team.

True he should stay on his line and not risk injury. Who wants to see keeper claiming long throws under pressure and taking one for the team.

Puzzled as to how you can post this spot on comment just after you praised to the rafters a ‘goalkeeper’ who behaved just as you describe?

Strange.

Went to Oldham Athletic yesterday to see Latics v Harrogate with my Latics supporting brother in law. Run of the mill Div 2 fare but Latics have found a diamond in Bahamboula, a magician wasted in the depths, and an emerging talent in young Harry Vaughan, who came on late on to exchange passes and slot beyond Mark Oxley for the Oldham goal. Mark was largely untroubled but his wordwork was rattled twice. One kicking error but marshalled his defence well. Comfortable afternoon for Mark and his team. Latics could be sliding the same way as us. But if so will we still be in this Conference division? What a sobering thought but after yesterday it is going to take a sea change to avoid oblivion. But does Ron really grasp the seriousness of the position? Please God that he does and takes action now.

Bahamboula is skilled but very inconsistent. Certainly if he could turn it on week in week out he would play at a higher level.

Bahamboula is skilled but very inconsistent. Certainly if he could turn it on week in week out he would play at a higher level.
Yep, I make you right in that view. But he is one to whom the ball seems tied to his bootlaces. He also seemed able to pick a pass. But back to Mark Oxley, he seemed very comfortable in his new team which was good to see. Couldn't help thinking that he must have been feeling relieved that he had escaped the toxic atmosphere which pervades Roots Hall.

Yep, I make you right in that view. But he is one to whom the ball seems tied to his bootlaces. He also seemed able to pick a pass. But back to Mark Oxley, he seemed very comfortable in his new team which was good to see. Couldn't help thinking that he must have been feeling relieved that he had escaped the toxic atmosphere which pervades Roots Hall.
Confidence is a massive thing for a goalkeeper and the fans did start to scapegoat him a bit when things started going wrong (I remember last season people had a go at him for a penalty going underneath him which was ridiculous), with a fresh slate he's probably feeling a lot calmer and not second guessing himself as much.

Confidence is a massive thing for a goalkeeper and the fans did start to scapegoat him a bit when things started going wrong (I remember last season people had a go at him for a penalty going underneath him which was ridiculous), with a fresh slate he's probably feeling a lot calmer and not second guessing himself as much.

That and he probably has a competent team in front of him too.

Looks like Mr O is still doing ok at Harrogate. This from the Saturday's match report.

Earlier, home keeper Mark Oxley had made three smart saves to keep his team on level terms at the break, as he denied Tom Elliott, Jamie Walker and Andy Cook.

The Bantams continued to press after the restart, with Oxley again showing outstanding reflexes to keep out Cook's downward header, while Warren Burrell also cleared a Yann Songo'o header off the line.

Sol Campbell tried to ruin the career of young Nathan Bishop by keeping him between the posts for nearly 20 games....think Doncaster 1-7,Dover etc.

Oh no - Sol ruined his career ....

I think hes contracted to Manchester United.

Oxley what an absolute liability - him and MM cost us our league status.

Oh no - Sol ruined his career ....

I think hes contracted to Manchester United.

Oxley what an absolute liability - him and MM cost us our league status.
Your last line suggests you probably weren’t watching us last season and certainly weren’t able to understand how well the two you try to denigrate,performed in a near-impossible situation.
Your first and second lines suggest you don’t even understand the meaning of the word “tried”.

Back