• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Oxley

Obssessed

Ummm .... Oh yeah ..

and you are the guy who wanted to keep MM on for another year ... or two.

Heres your hero

Your last line suggests you probably weren’t watching us last season and certainly weren’t able to understand how well the two you try to denigrate,performed in a near-impossible situation.
Your first and second lines suggest you don’t even understand the meaning of the word “tried”.

I watched us all last season ...

I thought the management was appalling and the goalkeeping alone cost us at least 9 points..

The goalkeeping was awful last season as described by someone Oxley was like a hologram ?

Astonishing then really that he now seems to be doing well at a higher level than us.

Astonishing then really that he now seems to be doing well at a higher level than us.

It is astonishing.

The key word is ‘seems’.

Apart from the bottom two, only Stevenage have conceded more goals.

Unlikely that ‘doing well’ is the correct terminology……

Godwin's Rayleigh boy's law is an Internet adage asserting that as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Adolf Hitler Mark Molesley approaches 1.

Back on topic. Last season with us and this season with Harrogate suggest that Oxley is a below average League 2 goalkeeper. I don't think judging goalkeepers on goals conceded is fair, but based on other stats show he isn't doing well. While a good defence can make a goalkeeper look good, a bad defence can expose the goalkeeper a lot, which can make them look good (makes lots of saves) or bad (lots of big chances/good finishing which give the goalkeeper a low chance of saving).

It is astonishing.

The key word is ‘seems’.

Apart from the bottom two, only Stevenage have conceded more goals.

Unlikely that ‘doing well’ is the correct terminology……

Another three today.

Only two behind Stevenage now.

We conceded 2 goals today. Do we blame Steve Arnold for those?
Oxley's save % isn't great in L2 which is what I presume Chapperz at least is referring to but it could just be that Harrogate are allowing easier chances to opponents than other teams. I don't think xGOT for L2 is publicly available which would be the correct metric to properly measure his performance.

But to be fair, that is what Ex Shrimpers and public football boards are all about.

….and, to be fair, he conceded another four tonight so now only Scunny have conceded more……nothing to do with him though……

….and, to be fair, he conceded another four tonight so now only Scunny have conceded more……nothing to do with him though……
Conceded four goals but made a big mistake (around 40 second mark) and somehow made a double save from inside the 6 yard box.

We conceded 2 goals today. Do we blame Steve Arnold for those?
It's not really the same thing. Keepers will concede goals, that's obvious. But, Oxley lost us a lot of points, especially last season when he made multiple errors resulting in goals being conceded. The amount of errors that didn't get punished saved his arse a lot! For some reason Oxley would make 15 errors and then one standard save and everyone would go on about how good he was. Guess that shows how fickle football fans are.

I'd take Arnold over Oxley all day long. The way he communicates with the defence, comes off his line, collects crosses, makes outstanding saves. Quality signing all round in my opinion.

How’s this for starters and in comparison to a list of your own? Sammy > Cawston > Bentley > Flavs > Arnold > Bart > Royce > Oxley > Capleton

Somewhere along the way I need to insert Budgie, Webster, Freeman and plenty of others I’ve missed. Ooooh Bramble!

For some reason Oxley would make 15 errors and then one standard save and everyone would go on about how good he was. Guess that shows how fickle football fans are.

If anything shows how fickle fans are it’s this.

I accept that you may well prefer Arnold all day long, I’d guess most if not all fans will agree with you and I may well be one of them.

But to suggest (even allowing for an exaggeration to make a point) that Oxley was making 15 mistakes to every save is completely unfair and in my opinion massively inaccurate. Even allowing for huge slices of luck and great defenders, 15 mistakes for a GK could / should end in 5-10 goals!!

The realistic assessment would probably place (for most GKs but certainly a lower league one, would be 7/8 saves to each mistake.

Unfortunately for Mark, as has been mentioned here already given the side that was in front of him for the last couple of years all of those saves and all of those mistakes were probably happening in every game whereas a half decent GK in a half decent side with half decent defending could maybe expect those 7/8 saves and 1 mistake to be spread over 2/3 games….far less noticeable and far less attributable….

Back