• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Oxley

But to suggest (even allowing for an exaggeration to make a point) that Oxley was making 15 mistakes to every save is completely unfair and in my opinion massively inaccurate. Even allowing for huge slices of luck and great defenders, 15 mistakes for a GK could / should end in 5-10 goals!!

The realistic assessment would probably place (for most GKs but certainly a lower league one, would be 7/8 saves to each mistake.

Unfortunately for Mark, as has been mentioned here already given the side that was in front of him for the last couple of years all of those saves and all of those mistakes were probably happening in every game whereas a half decent GK in a half decent side with half decent defending could maybe expect those 7/8 saves and 1 mistake to be spread over 2/3 games….far less noticeable and far less attributable….

Oh come on hahahaha, I was clearly joking about regarding the 15 mistakes. I completely disagree with your point about 'if he had a better defence in front of him'. The mistakes I'm referring too was were the basics for any keeper. Some examples are when he would constantly parry a save right back into the danger area rather than doing the basics of parrying to the side. Rarely ever coming out to collect crosses. Being silent as a mouse most of the time and the defenders looking like they had zero faith in him. Rarely ever coming for crosses and when he did there was always a huge chance his he would miss it or flap at it. Rarely ever came off his line to close players down and when he did he'd either give away a pen or just get beat. The mistake he made in the video that was posted earlier on, at the 40 seconds mark, we've seen that before, cost us 2 points against Bolton (I believe it was) right in the last minute. His kicking where he's either put it straight to their keeper, straight out of play or scuffed it and its gone straight to their player who's either scored or should of. He got away with so many of those.

I wish I could list every single mistake he made just to prove how shocking (most of the time he was). When he moved to a league club I was genuinely shocked because, IMO, he's a complete liability.

I'm not saying he wasn't capable of pulling off the odd very decent save but that was massively outweighed by the negative parts of his games and as mentioned above, he's fluff easy saves and the opposition would get a tap in.

I know you'll deny the above, and quite frankly I don't care but if you fail to remember his countless mistakes then you either weren't there (that did or should of led to a goal) or your just plane crazy.

Oxley's history for me (thank god) but I cannot accept some ridiculous fans making out that he was actually good. I used to find it hilarious when he would make a normal run of the mill save and everyone goes to twitter saying how good he is and calling out the Oxley haters. I don't hate Oxley, like I say I struggle to understand fans who think he was amazing.

Oxley's history for me (thank god) but I cannot accept some ridiculous fans making out that he was actually good. I used to find it hilarious when he would make a normal run of the mill save and everyone goes to twitter saying how good he is and calling out the Oxley haters. I don't hate Oxley, like I say I struggle to understand fans who think he was amazing.
Yeah, I can empathise with this. You only have to look back to the Man U game and how people were saying Flavs was amazing for making some pretty routine saves that you’d expect any pro keeper to make.

In baseball they have a concept of Wins Above Replacment: the number of additional wins a player would pick up over the average squad player. We could do with a Saves Above Replacement illustrating how many additional saves a keeper would make over a notional back-up keeper. I think some would be surprised by how few more goals a first choice would save over a random reserve keeper over the course of a season.

Where a keeper can distinguish themselves though is with their command of the area and their distribution. Arnold is playing with a lot of confidence right now and is currently far superior to Oxley in these regards, who was a much more conservative keeper. By coming for things you are more liable to make a mistake and the keeper needs to be able to pick himself up off the floor when the error eventually comes. Arnold has built up a lot of credit so when the mistake comes he should still have the backing of the crowd.

Not the best keeper we’ve had, but not as bad as some here make out. He had nothing good in front of him the last few seasons.
Return we got on investment though makes him a big candidate for our worst ever keeper. Ron boasted we’d made him the highest paid goalkeeper in League One so he’d have been one of the highest paid players in League 2

Shot stopping is a goalkeepers bread and butter, that’s the absolute bare minimum but his ability to command his area was shocking. I’ve alluded to this before, possibly even in this thread, but very early on last season when we were having to watch games on iFollow with the empty grounds you would hear a lot you wouldn’t normally hear and I picked up on Oxley being a complete mute, he didn’t say a word.

Absolute night and day between him and Arnold for me

Return we got on investment though makes him a big candidate for our worst ever keeper. Ron boasted we’d made him the highest paid goalkeeper in League One so he’d have been one of the highest paid players in League 2

Shot stopping is a goalkeepers bread and butter, that’s the absolute bare minimum but his ability to command his area was shocking. I’ve alluded to this before, possibly even in this thread, but very early on last season when we were having to watch games on iFollow with the empty grounds you would hear a lot you wouldn’t normally hear and I picked up on Oxley being a complete mute, he didn’t say a word.

Absolute night and day between him and Arnold for me
We’ve had plenty of disasters over the years that probably weren’t too cheap at the time, and plenty of others who cost us promotions, lucrative cup money or relegations through being rubbish. Oxley was overpaid because he had one great season (player of the year in league one for us I think - although personally I thought people were going a bit overboard about him at the time). Nearly every supporter climbed on the oxley bandwagon and we overpaid to renew his contract. Almost as if paying him more would make him better and then it’s ok to beat him with the waste of money stick if he reverts to his normal ability.

Anyway. He’s left now. He did his best when he played for us and has another job now. Let’s wish him the best rather than revel when he drops a clanger. Steve has dropped a few this season too, but been fortunate on the most part that his defence dug him out. That’s ok though. I think he’s doing great, but remember come the end of the season that it’s best to not overpay him to renew.

Yeah, I can empathise with this. You only have to look back to the Man U game and how people were saying Flavs was amazing for making some pretty routine saves that you’d expect any pro keeper to make.

In baseball they have a concept of Wins Above Replacment: the number of additional wins a player would pick up over the average squad player. We could do with a Saves Above Replacement illustrating how many additional saves a keeper would make over a notional back-up keeper. I think some would be surprised by how few more goals a first choice would save over a random reserve keeper over the course of a season.

Where a keeper can distinguish themselves though is with their command of the area and their distribution. Arnold is playing with a lot of confidence right now and is currently far superior to Oxley in these regards, who was a much more conservative keeper. By coming for things you are more liable to make a mistake and the keeper needs to be able to pick himself up off the floor when the error eventually comes. Arnold has built up a lot of credit so when the mistake comes he should still have the backing of the crowd.
They also distinguish themselves by not having to make saves, i.e. always being in the right place. That would also render your theory redundant, unless you can modify it to say, saves below replacement.

Harrogate just signed York City highly rated GK Peter Jameson. The Ox will have serious competition next season when he is fully fit!

Harrogate just signed York City highly rated GK Peter Jameson. The Ox will have serious competition next season when he is fully fit!
Maybe there are serious doubts about Ox recovering. This guy’s 29 and ,even for a keeper,that’s not an age to be kept on the bench,learning.
I used to play football with Ray White and his twin brother,sometimes in their garden,together with Matt Lockward’s dad.

Maybe there are serious doubts about Ox recovering. This guy’s 29 and ,even for a keeper,that’s not an age to be kept on the bench,learning.
I used to play football with Ray White and his twin brother,sometimes in their garden,together with Matt Lockward’s dad.
Cracking goalkeeper in a very good Southend Boys team as I recall
He could have done with being a bit taller though
Good pair of hands

Playing for the first time since his injury for Harrogate in the second half of their friendly against Sheffield Wednesday tonight.

Playing for the first time since his injury for Harrogate in the second half of their friendly against Sheffield Wednesday tonight.
Update from last night’s EFL commentary
(Harrogate v Crewe) :
“Mark Oxley returned in goal for the hosts for the first time in nearly 4 months and HE SHOWED WHY HE’S SO POPULAR WITH THE HOME SUPPORTERS…..”

Back