• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I personally have no problems with the players, to me they all seem to give 100% each time that they have played this season so therefore I will always vocally support them when I am at the ground.

Our squad are not great, we have many players who are average league two players (some average at best) and that is not the fault of the players themselves or the management who are very restricted in who they can sign (when they could sign players).

What my 'overreaction' is, actually relates to the issues with our tactics and the inability to do one of the basics at any level - defending set pieces. We have become shambolic and you can see how each set piece puts the fear into our players, fans and backroom staff.

Last night was not a 'reserve' match - it was our only chance of a realistic cup run, a boost in revenue and valuable game time for some plauers. I can never accept my side losing a match because it's a JPT match, that's utter 8oll0cks!!!!

I personally have no problems with the players, to me they all seem to give 100% each time that they have played this season so therefore I will always vocally support them when I am at the ground.

Our squad are not great, we have many players who are average league two players (some average at best) and that is not the fault of the players themselves or the management who are very restricted in who they can sign (when they could sign players).

What my 'overreaction' is, actually relates to the issues with our tactics and the inability to do one of the basics at any level - defending set pieces. We have become shambolic and you can see how each set piece puts the fear into our players, fans and backroom staff.

Last night was not a 'reserve' match - it was our only chance of a realistic cup run, a boost in revenue and valuable game time for some plauers. I can never accept my side losing a match because it's a JPT match, that's utter 8oll0cks!!!!

So would you rather give up a cup run in the JPT or get promotion, yes it was wonderful to go to wembley last season but I would have swapped it for promotion any day of the week, but that is just my opinion, you boost revenue in the club by playing at a higher level with a larger away following, last season we had some good crowds for the JPT compared to other clubs,but we would be better off trying to get out of this league.

In your opinion. You need to come to terms with the fact that the JPT is not, and will never be, a sought after trophy. Yes it brings in a bit of revenue IF we get to the final, but I doubt the £7 per head ticket prices last night which no doubt boosted attendance to 3.5K (well short of our avg attendance) went much distance to paying the cost of our stewards, players appearance fees, floodlights and any of the other running costs per game. I agree that it is valuable game time for players, but should be seen as an opportunity to give the second string a chance to show what they can do.

Take a look at the other teams we've played against in the past, specifically last year. Most of the teams we got past were resting key players (as were we), the only reason teams play more regulars than they currently do is the rule that states you must have a minimum of 5/6 (cant remember exact number) players in the team from the previous game. I mean, even the competition organizers have recognized that teams are using it as a "reserve cup"....And then you have the further evidence by the fact that the draw takes place on SOCCER AM!!

I would take a bet that at least 25% of those who attended our last home game failed to even turn onto Sky Sport News to check the result last night.

So would you rather give up a cup run in the JPT or get promotion, yes it was wonderful to go to wembley last season but I would have swapped it for promotion any day of the week, but that is just my opinion, you boost revenue in the club by playing at a higher level with a larger away following, last season we had some good crowds for the JPT compared to other clubs,but we would be better off trying to get out of this league.

Well we won't be achieving either of them so it doesn't matter!

Nope - I would rather us compete in both. A maximum of seven additional games (six this season with a bye) spread over six months is no hardship and pressure on the players workload. Maybe the players should stop playing 'behind closed doors' friendlies and train a little less. Resting players and not taking cups seriously is a complete farce and excuse that big clubs use - winning is a habit and instills good habits.

Taking cup matches seriously does not harm promotion pushes (not that we are in one of those anyway)- this thought process is a complete and utter myth and is banded about almost like a fashionable saying because the big teams do it. From my memory, a high profile cup run didn't do Bradford any harm last season.

Ok the result was shocking but apart from a crazy 10 minute spell we were far + away the best team last night. Phil Brown by picking that team showed that the cups arent our priority this season by giving the rusty fringe players a game. Timlin was really terrible for the 1st 70 minutes but by the end he was getting back to his old self again buzzing around. Smith's 1st run out all season wasnt happy + the crowd certainly dont help, 2 goals were his fault but the rustiness showed. Woodrow showed what a cracking player he is + should start , alongside another striker rather than effectively up on his own. Reid was rusty but ran his socks off but was given woeful service + i'd like to see Reid + Woodrow up top together.

So last night we didnt get the rub of the green but we still played well enough with half a team missing .... IT WAS EFFECTIVELY A RESERVE MATCH !!!!!!

Think back to saturday we absolutely smashed Oxford away , kept a clean sheet + created a dozen good chances.... Forget last night + for once lets try to be glass half full not half empty ....

WE ARE UNBEATEN IN 3 LEAGUE MATCHES !!!!! UTB :thumbsup:

totally agreed - 7 different topics of negativity on here post this loss. I counted 2 threads after we won at Oxford.

As others have said, the JPT is an unwelcome distraction - particularly this year with lack of players and umbongo. After all - when have we ever played well at the Final! 3 losses, all 2-0.

Concentrate on Saturday and forget last night.

In your opinion. You need to come to terms with the fact that the JPT is not, and will never be, a sought after trophy. Yes it brings in a bit of revenue IF we get to the final, but I doubt the £7 per head ticket prices last night which no doubt boosted attendance to 3.5K (well short of our avg attendance) went much distance to paying the cost of our stewards, players appearance fees, floodlights and any of the other running costs per game. I agree that it is valuable game time for players, but should be seen as an opportunity to give the second string a chance to show what they can do.

Take a look at the other teams we've played against in the past, specifically last year. Most of the teams we got past were resting key players (as were we), the only reason teams play more regulars than they currently do is the rule that states you must have a minimum of 5/6 (cant remember exact number) players in the team from the previous game. I mean, even the competition organizers have recognized that teams are using it as a "reserve cup"....And then you have the further evidence by the fact that the draw takes place on SOCCER AM!!

I would take a bet that at least 25% of those who attended our last home game failed to even turn onto Sky Sport News to check the result last night.

Come to terms...you really are a berk. It's all opinions I guess so with that in mind I am not even sure why I am responding to yet another one of your responses aimed at my posts, but I will humour you with my response.

I am sure that the club made a profit last night after costs were covered (If Martin actually pays them), they was 3500 there so without doing the maths, I reckon that would cover a few £20 stewards and floodlighting. Throw into the mix food, merchandise, 18 full boxes with bar spend and it is certainly financially worthwhile for a club counting every last penny.

The draw taking place on soccer AM is irrelevant as is the irrelevance of what other teams do. Try telling those Swansea City fans that winning the league cup was pointless because Man Utd or Chelsea did not take the competition seriously!!!!

As for the 25% of fans not even checking the result then I would be amazed - I personally check all results no what where I am in the world, each to there own I guess. By that comment, I assume that you did not attend last night?

I did not go to the game but was listening to BBC Essex in the car as i was working. Glen Pennyfather the ex SUFC player and Chelmsford manager pretty much agreed with Danbury in his aftermatch summary. The goals were shockers apprently and the defence need to sort out set pieces. But we played most of the football. People were moaning about PS's style last season and as good as said they did not mind us playing good football even if wee lost. Seems that was not true. I understand that but you can't have everything.

I did not go to the game but was listening to BBC Essex in the car as i was working. Glen Pennyfather the ex SUFC player and Chelmsford manager pretty much agreed with Danbury in his aftermatch summary. The goals were shockers apprently and the defence need to sort out set pieces. But we played most of the football. People were moaning about PS's style last season and as good as said they did not mind us playing good football even if wee lost. Seems that was not true. I understand that but you can't have everything.
What he said!

Disagree, tosser, ****, idiot etc. are mild insults, ****** implies mental disability

For the purpose of this board all insults are wrong and not allowed.

Lets all play nice, our 2nd team got beaten, not need to all start ripping each other to pieces over it.

Come to terms...you really are a berk. It's all opinions I guess so with that in mind I am not even sure why I am responding to yet another one of your responses aimed at my posts, but I will humour you with my response.

I am sure that the club made a profit last night after costs were covered (If Martin actually pays them), they was 3500 there so without doing the maths, I reckon that would cover a few £20 stewards and floodlighting. Throw into the mix food, merchandise, 18 full boxes with bar spend and it is certainly financially worthwhile for a club counting every last penny.

The draw taking place on soccer AM is irrelevant as is the irrelevance of what other teams do. Try telling those Swansea City fans that winning the league cup was pointless because Man Utd or Chelsea did not take the competition seriously!!!!

As for the 25% of fans not even checking the result then I would be amazed - I personally check all results no what where I am in the world, each to there own I guess. By that comment, I assume that you did not attend last night?

Name calling....Pretty un-called for, childish and offensive. (Where do I recall reading that before)

Why do you post on a forum if you don't expect people to respond to your comments? Perhaps you should start your own SUFC forum where only you get to post, that way you won't have such issues where people have the audacity to disagree with you. Still, I appreciate you "humouring" me.

The "Mickey Mouse" draw and the resting of players DOES have relevance. It shows that the vast majority of teams and fans do not care about the competition, or have little respect for it. The relevance of this being that I dont want players getting injured or suspended in JPT non-games rendering them unavailable for league games which might later impact our ability to get promoted which, and I think you'd be a fool to argue here, would see us missing out on far greater long term revenue streams than the odd Tuesday night affair. Bradford made it to the League Cup final last year, now that IS an achievement and has shown that anything is possible even at L2 level.

Of course I wasn't there last night. I live too far away to come up to friendly games, so I doubt this was going to rank high on my list of "must see" games. You need to take a look around at others who have posted on the website since last night. Whilst some hold the view that the JPT is a valid competition, there are many who are failry relieved to be able to concentrate on the league with the fairly minor "flesh wound" of having Phillips missing.

Let's face it , we are all hurting right now.
We were all buoyed by Saturdays result and performance ( which i guess very few of us expected ) , and subsequently , the majority felt we would beat Dagenham last night.
But this is our World.
This is supporting Southend.
Win unexpectedly away against a good team and then lose at home against an average one.
Now I'm not going to predict the Burton result ( been wrong too many times ) , but I will predict that these 'ups' and 'downs' will continue not just for this season , but for every season we support this team.
It is the way of it.

Ok the result was shocking but apart from a crazy 10 minute spell we were far + away the best team last night. Phil Brown by picking that team showed that the cups arent our priority this season by giving the rusty fringe players a game. Timlin was really terrible for the 1st 70 minutes but by the end he was getting back to his old self again buzzing around. Smith's 1st run out all season wasnt happy + the crowd certainly dont help, 2 goals were his fault but the rustiness showed. Woodrow showed what a cracking player he is + should start , alongside another striker rather than effectively up on his own. Reid was rusty but ran his socks off but was given woeful service + i'd like to see Reid + Woodrow up top together.

So last night we didnt get the rub of the green but we still played well enough with half a team missing .... IT WAS EFFECTIVELY A RESERVE MATCH !!!!!!

Think back to saturday we absolutely smashed Oxford away , kept a clean sheet + created a dozen good chances.... Forget last night + for once lets try to be glass half full not half empty ....

WE ARE UNBEATEN IN 3 LEAGUE MATCHES !!!!! UTB :thumbsup:

Well said danburyshrimper. I really have no interest in the JPT and with our threadbare squad, it's an unwelcome distraction to our main priority of getting out of this league.

If you didn't and stayed away because it was the JPT then fair play, although I doubt this is the case.

The truth of the matter is that we were going to go along (My father and I), but we ran out of steam pretty early on in our making the required arrangements. It wasn't a clear boycott as you suggest, but there was a definite "can't be bothered" theme throughout which we don't tend to experience when going along to league games.

Let's face it , we are all hurting right now.
We were all buoyed by Saturdays result and performance ( which i guess very few of us expected ) , and subsequently , the majority felt we would beat Dagenham last night.
But this is our World.
This is supporting Southend.
Win unexpectedly away against a good team and then lose at home against an average one.
Now I'm not going to predict the Burton result ( been wrong too many times ) , but I will predict that these 'ups' and 'downs' will continue not just for this season , but for every season we support this team.
It is the way of it.
Ultimately it's about perspective. Had the XI that started at Oxford started last night then I could understand some of the hysteria on here. But the two line-ups were very different and as such I find it puzzling that so many people have become doom-mongerers again. We left out two key midfielders in Leonard - our player of the season so far - and Atkinson, plus Corr, who is the only effective striker if we're playing one up front. As such we were bound to be much weaker, not helped by the fact Phillips is seemingly playing through the pain barrier again.

The post-match reaction in general has made for quite compelling reading today but come on people, get a grip and cheer up. :smile:

The truth of the matter is that we were going to go along (My father and I), but we ran out of steam pretty early on in our making the required arrangements. It wasn't a clear boycott as you suggest, but there was a definite "can't be bothered" theme throughout which we don't tend to experience when going along to league games.

The fact we took 30,000 shows how much the JPT can mean.

The competition itself isnt something anyone cares about, but when you get to the regional final that all changes, from then its the real deal.

That last minute goal to send us through is one of the SUFC all time great memories for me, yet I couldnt care about last nights result.

Ultimately it's about perspective. Had the XI that started at Oxford started last night then I could understand some of the hysteria on here. But the two line-ups were very different and as such I find it puzzling that so many people have become doom-mongerers again. We left out two key midfielders in Leonard - our player of the season so far - and Atkinson, plus Corr, who is the only effective striker if we're playing one up front. As such we were bound to be much weaker, not helped by the fact Phillips is seemingly playing through the pain barrier again.

The post-match reaction in general has made for quite compelling reading today but come on people, get a grip and cheer up. :smile:

Indeed, the level of anger over this defeat is so far above the last defeat we had its unbelievable.

We played a second string side, it has no bearing on our league form.

Back