• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours McLaughlin to Mansfield

I don’t get why everyone is so attached to any of the players that have played regularly for the last 2 years. We’ve been dog ****. Sure, he might’ve been alright a few times, but still part of a almost relegated and then relegated team with horrific attitude and performance issues that stole a living from the club.
Clear the deck. Goodbye.
#teamron

5 and a half years. That's why people have some attachment.

I don’t get why everyone is so attached to any of the players that have played regularly for the last 2 years. We’ve been dog ****. Sure, he might’ve been alright a few times, but still part of a almost relegated and then relegated team with horrific attitude and performance issues that stole a living from the club.
Clear the deck. Goodbye.
#teamron

I take it you don't go to games?

He was also part of the team that got us promoted from league 2 and almost reaching the league 1 playoffs.

You cant judge a player because of how the rest of the team are performing!

Loved Macca when he first arrived, in the first few seasons, then I went off him a little for various reasons. He won me back over at Blackpool away last season, with his goal and reactions to the crowd that day. He really started to seem to graft and care once Campbell rocked up and we looked doomed. I wish him the best. I don’t blame any player for leaving us and starting fresh somewhere and if they can get more money fair bloody play.

I take it you don't go to games?

He was also part of the team that got us promoted from league 2 and almost reaching the league 1 playoffs.

You cant judge a player because of how the rest of the team are performing!

Watched every minute last season.

I like him. He is one of our better players. I’ve just lost any real affiliation to anyone that played in the last two years and won’t be losing sleep with letting one of our higher earners go.

We also got promoted over 5 years ago, in the last 2 years our total return for someone who should be one our most attacking threats is 5 goals and 4 assists.

Thats less than a goal every 10 games and less than an assist every 12 games. The fact we consider him one of our better players shows how **** they have all been.

I like him. He is one of our better players. I’ve just lost any real affiliation to anyone that played in the last two years and won’t be losing sleep with letting one of our higher earners go.

We also got promoted over 5 years ago, in the last 2 years our total return for someone who should be one our most attacking threats is 5 goals and 4 assists.

Thats less than a goal every 10 games and less than an assist every 12 games. The fact we consider him one of our better players shows how **** they have all been.

To be fair, we we've been struggling as a team for the past two seasons in League one, so 5 goals and 4 assists isn't a bad return in a struggling team that avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth a year ago and this year was basically relegated by the time the January transfer window came around.

All I know is Macca isn't the best player we've had but I appreciate that he always gives us his all. Even when he's having a poor game, you can't accuse him of throwing the towel in. He runs himself into the ground!

The performance and attitude of a number of players in the past two years has dragged a lot of otherwise good players down with them unfortunately. It's very hard to judge individuals over the past couple of seasons.

Personally I think it's a shame McLaughlin is off although I know he's on good money. I'd hoped he might take a pay cut to stay at a club where he's settled, but to be honest it's a short career especially on the wing, and he's probably not got too many contracts left. He will be thinking first and foremost about his young family and nobody can blame him for that.

I hope to be surprised and see him in a blue shirt again, but if not, I will wish him well. He's been a very decent player for us over the years.

Fair enough. Maybe I took your first post in the wrong way as I agree with what you said in this one.

So would you apply the same logic to White as well?

Absolutely, I would. Very few from the current squad were worth keeping. Does anyone think if we keep the nucleus of the crap we've had for the last few years things are magically going to be different.

We were beyond awful and need a lot of changes. Giving White 6 months, is just about acceptable as cover for now.

Absolutely, I would. Very few from the current squad were worth keeping. Does anyone think if we keep the nucleus of the crap we've had for the last few years things are magically going to be different.

We were beyond awful and need a lot of changes. Giving White 6 months, is just about acceptable as cover for now.

In your opinion, but not in mine. I'd have stretched it to the end of the season.

In your opinion, but not in mine. I'd have stretched it to the end of the season.

To what end? He's 34, barely second choice and we are managerless so no doubt a new man is gonna bring a few defenders in you'd think. I'd say White was lucky to get a deal at all and I dont get the pandering to him.

Yea, he's been a decent servant and although he is only cover, he IS reliable for the most part, but again, he's not the answer going forward.

To what end? He's 34, barely second choice and we are managerless so no doubt a new man is gonna bring a few defenders in you'd think. I'd say White was lucky to get a deal at all and I dont get the pandering to him.

Yea, he's been a decent servant and although he is only cover, he IS reliable for the most part, but again, he's not the answer going forward.

Of course he's not. He plays in defense.

I think the age thing is a red herring. He has more than enough experience and stamina to cope with the rigours of FL2 without being fazed by it. And successive managers have come into the club and each time JW has had a role to play in their plans, sometimes through design and sometimes through injury or circumstance. He may be cover this season, but that is no reason to throw him away as he has proved time and time again that when you need him he will deliver. None of this is pandering and I don't expect you to agree with any of it, but that is the joy of Shrimperzone, it is about opinions. And in this case I think I'm right. :Winking:

In the long term you are right he won’t be the answer but in the near future he is in my opinion needed, even if on the bench his experience will help the youngsters, not just the last 2 years but all his experience as a pro.

Sometimes teams need to sign players at the end of the careers so they have that experience in the squad, very harsh to knock on JW very harsh indeed

I also think John White is worth his wages for being a good, experienced head in and around the club and training who has the club at heart and can help bring the youngsters along. I truly hope we offer him a coaching position once his playing days are behind him.

He’s already said he doesn’t want to be a coach. Which is why he’s setting up his car sourcing company.

With us not being able to make any signings, and if we are then what with the difficulty we’ll have in attracting anyone.....John White will be absolutely worth his weight in gold next season.
Not just as a decent reliable defender but for his know how and good influence around the football club.

Back