• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours McLaughlin to Mansfield

Wasn‘t there a similar situation with Clohessy? He always maintained we never offered him a new contract. So hard to know the truth though.

For all we know Macca’s agent might have told Ron he won’t sign a new deal, demanded a 50% pay increase or wanted a deal longer than we were prepared to offer. In which case Ron wouldn’t have offered him anything but would still be expecting him to leave unless Macca or his agent have a change of mind.

So they might both be telling the truth. Who knows.

Wasn‘t there a similar situation to Clohessy? He always maintained we never offered him a new contract. So hard to know the truth though.

For all we know Macca’s agent might have told Ron he won’t sign a new deal, demanded a 50% pay increase or wanted a deal longer than we were prepared to offer. In which case Ron wouldn’t have offered him anything but would still be expecting him to leave unless Macca or his agent have a change of mind.

Well the article says he was offered a new deal. So you could be right, it may have been an informal offer, but I didn’t read it that way, and if it was, it’s hardly a professional way to conduct business.

Well the article says he was offered a new deal. So you could be right, it may have been an informal offer, but I didn’t read it that way, and if it was, it’s hardly a professional way to conduct business.

Yeah that’s true actually. Does seem to be quite clear that he was offered a new deal. Unless CP has just interpreted that part wrong and it was instead an informal discussion with his agent that ended with the realisation he wouldn’t be staying.

I don’t trust agents as far as I can throw them. Clohessy still says he was never told he was leaving and never offered a new contract. Reckons he came back from holiday and we’d signed John White and sent him packing. After the season he’d just had with us I find that hard to believe. Sounds more like a greedy agent threw some weight around on Clohessy’s behalf which led to his departure.

Could well be something similar going on here.

Reactions: GBJ
We might not of formally offered anything, as his agent may well of told us that he was going elsewhere..

We might not of formally offered anything, as his agent may well of told us that he was going elsewhere..

This is the key part. It's written in the article we've offered a new deal but not a quote from Ron. So technically Ron hasn't said we've offered a new contract

Wasn‘t there a similar situation with Clohessy? He always maintained we never offered him a new contract. So hard to know the truth though.

I remember being told that Clohessy or his agent was asking for a pay rise and Ron was having none of it. From memory it wasn't even a big pay rise either.

Ron only said ‘we’ve spoken to Stephen’, which was probably his through his agent. Who knows what the content of that conversation was, but it’s likely there was a gap (in that conversation) between what might be offered by the club and the minimum the agent would accept - so no formal offer might have resulted. That would seem fine to me, and would mean that all of the quotes from the article and twitter have an element of truth in them. Nothing to see here and nothing to get het up about IMO.

I dont care which it is but Chris is a journalist and its inconceivable he wont be immediately resolving this with Ron. Unfortunately it goes straight to peoples credibility.

Ron either offered him a new deal or he didn't. Ron needs to clear up- forget the agent, Ron can phone Macca direct and be clear what is being offered if it hasn't been communicated. In the end the player is only responding because he probably would rather not leave.

Its the basics surely- forget the agent saying thats unacceptable, we need more, others are offering more (I would trust an agent as far as I could throw them either). make a formal offer to the player and let the player know. Its then on the table to reject or accept.

In business you would be surprise how many "unacceptable" offers get accepted once they are formalised. Put a time limit on it. Then at least we get away from the appalling they never even made an offer scenario that drags on for a few years afterwards.

Suspect it is that we had discussions with the agents who rubbished our proposal so we didn't bother getting something on a the table- which from a negotiation point of view would be lazy frankly.

Its obvious he wants to stay if we can stretch to a half decent offer- maybe the new manager might break the log jam and doing something outrageous and old fashioned (phone the player for a chat..)

Its the basics surely- forget the agent saying thats unacceptable, we need more, others are offering more (I would trust an agent as far as I could throw them either). make a formal offer to the player and let the player know. Its then on the table to reject or accept.

In business you would be surprise how many "unacceptable" offers get accepted once they are formalised. Put a time limit on it. Then at least we get away from the appalling they never even made an offer scenario that drags on for a few years afterwards.

Suspect it is that we had discussions with the agents who rubbished our proposal so we didn't bother getting something on a the table- which from a negotiation point of view would be lazy frankly.

Its obvious he wants to stay if we can stretch to a half decent offer- maybe the new manager might break the log jam and doing something outrageous and old fashioned (phone the player for a chat..)

I agreed with all of that, up until the final paragraph.

I’m not sure it’s obvious he wants to stay. Merely commenting on Chris Phillips’ post, isn’t enough to convince me it meant anything other than setting the record straight.

Frankly there’s plenty that has gone on, and is still going on within the club, to make a player think twice about wanting to stay here.

I

Back