• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours McLaughlin to Mansfield

As much as I like Macca he is far from irreplaceable. We are in the do do financially and he is of an age where the next contract maybe he last decent pay. Which means he won't be getting that if he stays here with Ron's 5 Bob heros.

As much as I like Macca he is far from irreplaceable. We are in the do do financially and he is of an age where the next contract maybe he last decent pay. Which means he won't be getting that if he stays here with Ron's 5 Bob heros.

I disagree to be fair. Experienced pro, good relationship with the fans, no recurring injuries, still in his prime and has performed to a good standard for a good few seasons in the league above. I think we’ll struggle to replace him with a player of equal or better quality. We’re not exactly an attractive proposition at the moment and if there’s better available players, they’ll be wanted elsewhere and we’ll surely be down the bottom of their list.

Macca really is someone I would fight to keep. I think he’ll be an asset for us next season if we can hang on to him.

I agreed with all of that, up until the final paragraph.

I’m not sure it’s obvious he wants to stay. Merely commenting on Chris Phillips’ post, isn’t enough to convince me it meant anything other than setting the record straight.

Frankly there’s plenty that has gone on, and is still going on within the club, to make a player think twice about wanting to stay here.

I
Ok that's fair- let me put it another way. It's a buying signal in sales parlance that if you ignore and don't follow up you're not a salesperson..

Reactions: GBJ
McLaughlin has outlasted several different manager's, says it all for me.

That’s no mean feat. Most players that have been at the club for the last two seasons have outlasted at least 4 managers, 5 if you include Ricky Duncan!

I disagree to be fair. Experienced pro, good relationship with the fans, no recurring injuries, still in his prime and has performed to a good standard for a good few seasons in the league above. I think we’ll struggle to replace him with a player of equal or better quality. We’re not exactly an attractive proposition at the moment and if there’s better available players, they’ll be wanted elsewhere and we’ll surely be down the bottom of their list.

Macca really is someone I would fight to keep. I think he’ll be an asset for us next season if we can hang on to him.

Here’s the dilemma though... what offer could we make that would be considered fair to him and justifiable to us?

I’m expecting our wage budget to be severely reduced this season. Is he worth a significant chunk of that budget?

We won’t be able to re-sign him on the cheap, as he is/was one of the better earners already.

Ok that's fair- let me put it another way. It's a buying signal in sales parlance that if you ignore and don't follow up you're not a salesperson..

Fair point.

FWIW, if I had to hazard a guess, I’d say that McL has an idea of a contract in his head, but Ron has a very different idea, and as the two are so far apart, both parties have seen it as pointless trying to negotiate.

I doubt what we think makes any difference any more. Should Ron have done this? Should Macca have asked for that? When stories of this nature are released into the public domain, then, without exception, the player concerned is out of the window and off to another club. I can't think of one player in the last 5 years where this hasn't been the case. Bye Stephen, I hope you can get the deal you want at Mansfield. One thing's for certain though, their kit is pretty horrible at the best of times, but now we have the new Hummel gear you will look two bob when we play you. :Winking:

Here’s the dilemma though... what offer could we make that would be considered fair to him and justifiable to us?

I’m expecting our wage budget to be severely reduced this season. Is he worth a significant chunk of that budget?

We won’t be able to re-sign him on the cheap, as he is/was one of the better earners already.

that's probably the crux of the issue, we most likely spoke to his agent and offered something like a 50% pay cut and the agent flatly refused it.

now in the new world of very limited budgets in all industries Macca might be struggling to get a better offer anywhere else and we don't really want to commit that amount of money with no idea when fans can be allowed back in.

Why do people get so worked up with either a club making a low offer or a player asking for a higher one.
It’s the way if the world.
Basic commerce.
Nobody is out of order.

Macca said he's had no offer. No comms from Ron. He wouldn't be anywhere near the first player who had been disgracefully let down by Ron with just basic manners. Any decent leader treats their employees with respect whether they always get that or back or not. Mind you he doesnt even respect the people who keep this club alive either.

Just to remind you Mansfields chairman has pulled a stroke on us before with Will Atkinson.....Ron doesn't forget and is rightly not going to be played by McL, his agent and Mansfield yet again.

What SM is really saying......"I want a good offer in writing so that my agent can force a better deal with Mansfield"......Jog on sunshine.

Just to remind you Mansfields chairman has pulled a stroke on us before with Will Atkinson.....Ron doesn't forget and is rightly not going to be played by McL, his agent and Mansfield yet again.

What SM is really saying......"I want a good offer in writing so that my agent can force a better deal with Mansfield"......Jog on sunshine.

Stop it Rigsby, that doesn’t fit with people’s anti Ron agenda.

Might it be that Ron is allowing the new manager to decide if he wants Macca, and how much he wants him?
Could the new manager have already said " not in my plans".?

Mansfield get half of the average crowds than we do, even Mansfield was challenging for Promotion, they get under 4k, probably sort of crowds that Col Ewes be proud of.

Just checked and Mansfield averaged 4,500 last season in a L2 relegation battle?

I wonder which one of them is telling porkies, Ron or McL....

?
agree...thats crazy isnt it.. why would you play that game... he would be good for us next year....rons prob not offered him a new contract as he's a high earner and rons cutting his wage bill?

I don’t get why everyone is so attached to any of the players that have played regularly for the last 2 years. We’ve been dog ****. Sure, he might’ve been alright a few times, but still part of a almost relegated and then relegated team with horrific attitude and performance issues that stole a living from the club.
Clear the deck. Goodbye.
#teamron

I don’t get why everyone is so attached to any of the players that have played regularly for the last 2 years. We’ve been dog ****. Sure, he might’ve been alright a few times, but still part of a almost relegated and then relegated team with horrific attitude and performance issues that stole a living from the club.
Clear the deck. Goodbye.
#teamron
So would you apply the same logic to White as well? There can be exceptions. I think McLaughlin is a decent player on his day (and his improved form saw him have more good days) and covers a lot of ground up and down the wing. He'd be an asset in League 2. However, he'd be on decent money which can't afford any more.

Back