• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

MEDIA FIRST LAUNCHED

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Aug. 25 2005,16:36)]No the orange one is the link to the feed you need to copy this and paste it into the software which can be downloaded from here.
Sorry... that's the link I selected from the official site, not the orange one.

Before I got a very confusing page of codes... but now I cannot even open the link on the Feedreader front page to download the thing!

Is there another programme I can use?

I just tried pasting the podcast link into the address bar of Firefox which launched Windows Media Player but it didn't actually do anything, merely remained 'connecting' for the next 10 minutes. Second attempt with Safari displayed the podcast page correctly and clicking the link also launched Windows Media Player but I then got an error message saying "the channel does not support the stream format" - anybody got this working on a Mac yet?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Aug. 25 2005,15:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Aug. 25 2005,16:36)]No the orange one is the link to the feed you need to copy this and paste it into the software which can be downloaded from here.
Sorry... that's the link I selected from the official site, not the orange one.

Before I got a very confusing page of codes... but now I cannot even open the link on the Feedreader front page to download the thing!

Is there another programme I can use?
Plenty, just type Free RSS Readers into Google and loads pop up.

Well done to all concerned for getting this world first, it sounds in theory a very good idea.

I'm getting totally confused by all this RSS and upload/download talk, and I don't own an MP3 player, so thanks to Artful Shrimper for posting a link - does that mean you can listen direct to the "podcast" straight from the official site?

The problem I had, however, was that I would get three seconds of podcast and then nothing for 10 to 15 seconds, before I got the next two or three second chunk of speech, so I gave up eventually as it was getting very frustrating! Does anyone have any possible explanations for this? Although I think it's probably the fact that my computer is just too old and slow to cope with the modern world!!

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southampton Shrimper @ Aug. 25 2005,18:27)]... does that mean you can listen direct to the "podcast" straight from the official site?
That's what I thought. But the link only opens a page of HTML code.

It would be far better for us bods without an MP3 player to be able to open a link that itself opens the appropriate Podcast in Windows Media Player or something. That would be a lot easier that trying to use this RSS Feeder thing which has totally confused me and others. I just don't want to miss out ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Aug. 25 2005,17:03)]Plenty, just type Free RSS Readers into Google and loads pop up.
Yes but what the hell do you do with them? None of them offer any user-friendly instructions at all and I get presented with a page of full of "Binaries" and "Sources" and lots of different options! Eh?! Which one do I need?! The FAQs are no help unless you know what five feed translators are and how to modify a "translate.lng" file or something ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Aug. 25 2005,17:43)]That would be a lot easier that trying to use this RSS Feeder thing which has totally confused me and others. I just don't want to miss out ...

WS
Is this someone from the dark ages!! Get in touch with modern times.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ Aug. 25 2005,17:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Aug. 25 2005,17:43)]That would be a lot easier that trying to use this RSS Feeder thing which has totally confused me and others. I just don't want to miss out ...

WS
Garlic Bread? Garlic ! Bread
rock.gif
!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Aug. 25 2005,17:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southampton Shrimper @ Aug. 25 2005,18:27)]... does that mean you can listen direct to the "podcast" straight from the official site?
That's what I thought. But the link only opens a page of HTML code.

It would be far better for us bods without an MP3 player to be able to open a link that itself opens the appropriate Podcast in Windows Media Player or something. That would be a lot easier that trying to use this RSS Feeder thing which has totally confused me and others. I just don't want to miss out ...

WS
Did you try a link from the official site or from the Artful Shrimper's post on page 3 of this thread?

I used the latter and that did put me straight on to Windows Media Player, but that's when I encountered problems, because it kept wanting to buffer itself after every two or three seconds worth of speech!  
mad.gif

If you tried the link from the website, where did Artful's link come from?

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southampton Shrimper @ Aug. 25 2005,17:27)]Well done to all concerned for getting this world first, it sounds in theory a very good idea.

I'm getting totally confused by all this RSS and upload/download talk, and I don't own an MP3 player, so thanks to Artful Shrimper for posting a link - does that mean you can listen direct to the "podcast" straight from the official site?

The problem I had, however, was that I would get three seconds of podcast and then nothing for 10 to 15 seconds, before I got the next two or three second chunk of speech, so I gave up eventually as it was getting very frustrating! Does anyone have any possible explanations for this? Although I think it's probably the fact that my computer is just too old and slow to cope with the modern world!!

smile.gif
Dear God, this is like an IT support's inbox here!

I don't know what RSS is, what is good about it or what it does because I haven't yet been able to play about with it. If I wanted to know, I would have probably done a search on Google with my question before asking on here.

Possibly the worst thing is that I have Firefox but haven't even looked in to RSS.

Regarding the idea of podcasting, I think it's a very good idea Dave and will go very far. It is clearly a rapidly spreading idea and as soon as someone combines effective delivery with a content that holds a high demand, perhaps this one, I feel that the idea of podcasting can go far.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ Aug. 25 2005,17:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ Aug. 25 2005,17:51)]
[b said:

WS
Garlic Bread? Garlic ! Bread
rock.gif
!!!
thats a taste sensation THATS THE FUTURE!!! GARLIC BREAD.....

whats that??? ..... CHEESE CAKE?
rock.gif
?

biggrin.gif

For those who do not have Firefox then here is how to use the FeedReader.

Firstly download from here! This will automatically download the correct file.

Install the FeedReader, then run the program.

To add a feed press F2, now you need to now the location of the RSS feed XML file.

If you have IE ensure that you have Status Bar viewable, if not goto View then select Status Bar.

Now hover over the Orange RSS icon. You will now see the location of the XML file. Take a note of this and enter it into the Location of Feed field in FeedReader.

/pics/misc/FeedReader1.jpg

And once you have clicked Next and Finish - you should see something like.

/pics/misc/FeedReader2.gif

nice to see the rss info on the official website has just been taken from the bbc sport website......... or did the bbc sport website take it from us??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southampton Shrimper @ Aug. 25 2005,18:57)]it kept wanting to buffer itself after every two or three seconds worth of speech!  
mad.gif
Are you sure you weren't listening to Blues World live commentary?

laugh.gif

Its a great idea Dave, but another Mac user here with no joy...

I use Firefox (on Mac) and subscribe to SZ and BBC's SUFC RSS feeds with no probs. Clicked on the orange icon on the website and I just get a page of XML code, no choice to subscribe.

Still, great idea nether-the-less.

If anyone is using a Mac and sucessfully subscribed to the RSS, please post here!

Can't you copy the RSS feed address and is there not a section in Firefox to manually add feeds?

Guys - If you click the Orange icon it will just show you the xml as it is just a link to the RSS xml file,

Dave - You need to add some info to the head part of your Index page, this will allow RSS readers such as Firefox to automatically know there is a RSS feed available for this site and people can just click the orange icon on their status bar in the browser or RSS Reader.

Not stid, General Easterly posting.

Now boys and girls, the simplest way of downloading young Mr. Scriven's poptastic podcast is to use ipodder, which will automatically download the podcast for you and upload it to you MP3 player, be it iPod or whatever.

You can download it from iPodder ([url]http://ipodder.sourceforge.net/index.php)[/url] and it is so simple it's untrue.

Here endeth the lesson.

Oh yes, and it's open source (just like Firefox).

Back