• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I wasn't disappointed by any of the signings we made at the time. I believe I may even have got cum in my eyes when I heard Kightly was coming back. I know I championed Hendrie as possibly being first choice. I know Ferdinand was excellent last year, and I believe I may have posted that his transfer extension was a smart piece of business. I'd never be disappointed a player who'd play in the Premier League joining the club. I looked forward to Nile's holiday ending, because he is the best forward in this division. And we are way better with a fit Wordsworth. I believed that this would be a season where we would challenge for promotion because frankly, the manager have pulled together a group of players who were playing a level below than they should.

I've said all of that, as recently as August and was encouraging my mates from far flung to places to stick a couple of quid on us.

And all the noises from the club were as positive. And, if I am honest, on here too.

So, I am not going to slate the manager for wasting whatever budget he has. I am going to question why some of these players frankly have not turned up.

I will (and have) criticised PB for his lack of tactical acumen in recent weeks, his team selection and clearly there is something very wrong in that changing room.

Hindsight is a marvellous, marvellous thing.

The whole debate in the shell of a nut there 'Lordster'

Spot on! :thumbsup:

I wasn't disappointed by any of the signings we made at the time. I believe I may even have got cum in my eyes when I heard Kightly was coming back. I know I championed Hendrie as possibly being first choice. I know Ferdinand was excellent last year, and I believe I may have posted that his transfer extension was a smart piece of business. I'd never be disappointed a player who'd play in the Premier League joining the club. I looked forward to Nile's holiday ending, because he is the best forward in this division. And we are way better with a fit Wordsworth. I believed that this would be a season where we would challenge for promotion because frankly, the manager have pulled together a group of players who were playing a level below than they should.

I've said all of that, as recently as August and was encouraging my mates from far flung to places to stick a couple of quid on us.

And all the noises from the club were as positive. And, if I am honest, on here too.

So, I am not going to slate the manager for wasting whatever budget he has. I am going to question why some of these players frankly have not turned up.

I will (and have) criticised PB for his lack of tactical acumen in recent weeks, his team selection and clearly there is something very wrong in that changing room.

A very honest, genuine response. As I said, I too would have welcomed any one of the signings, but not all the risks in one go. Did you never raise an eyebrow with concern? Hindsight is marvellous but I guess some people get paid to have foresight and are punished by hindsight. All I care about is the club, some of the problems you highlight and how we are going to sort it out. With PB, without PB, I only care that we put the wrongs right.

Wrong again Rab, you really should check your facts before slagging people off. Your right on one thing though....Nothing to worry about because we went from 23rd to 7th under Anton.

Whilst not everyone would agree with me about him being POTY, only those with a narrow minded personal agenda against PB would claim he was not only important for us but also one of our better players last season. Which of course you are certainly are not one of those people.

Rigsby I like and agree with many of your points on the forum. I agree that on paper most of our summer signings looked good and most would have looked to resign Anton. The trouble is, it’s not built a team. As an example, it seemed obvious that Anton and Turner wouldnt form a good partnership at the back and would need at least 2 other, quicker players to cover. That’s the problem, recruitment has brought in individuals and not a team in my opinion. It’s also been an expensive (wages not transfer fees) way of doing it. Perhaps most worryingly is that PB hasn’t seemed to be able to get some of the older signings to perform and in some cases we need to pay their wages for years to come.

yes this is it

Wrong again Rab, you really should check your facts before slagging people off. Your right on one thing though....Nothing to worry about because we went from 23rd to 7th under Anton.

Whilst not everyone would agree with me about him being POTY, only those with a narrow minded personal agenda against PB would claim he was not only important for us but also one of our better players last season. Which of course you are certainly are not one of those people.

Oh yes, I stand corrected. But still not inspiring. When you put up a CB pairing you hope they can do more than half a season each.

Ferdinand was signed 18 months ago having played about 25 games in the championship for Reading. You may remember when he took over from AB as captain we were 23rd we ended up 7th. That's one of the reasons he was my POTY, that and the fact Thompson looked a much better player once he played alongside Anton. We got 2 players for the price of one so to speak.

Turner didn't play many first team games for Norwich in the last 2 seasons but does not have a bad injurie record he was just out of favour. Of course he was unlucky to get a hamstring injurie before the season had properly kicked-off but has since shown he is still a good player and a good signing for us.

The reason we went up the league was because we stopped playing the miserable one up front tactics as Adam requested.

Rigsby I like and agree with many of your points on the forum. I agree that on paper most of our summer signings looked good and most would have looked to resign Anton. The trouble is, it’s not built a team. As an example, it seemed obvious that Anton and Turner wouldnt form a good partnership at the back and would need at least 2 other, quicker players to cover. That’s the problem, recruitment has brought in individuals and not a team in my opinion. It’s also been an expensive (wages not transfer fees) way of doing it. Perhaps most worryingly is that PB hasn’t seemed to be able to get some of the older signings to perform and in some cases we need to pay their wages for years to come.

I'm guessing Rob Kiernan was meant to be part of the CB plans. He did pass his medical so not sure who to point the finger with that one.

Anton and Turner have actually done quite well when they have been together, apart from the Bristol match and as we know there are things still emerging from that weekend.

From his first league appearance down at Pompey, Turner looked the part. Him and Anton had a good first 45 and right at the end Turner headed down the chance that lead to the penalty. Likewise a few days later he was pulled down for that pen at MK.....Is it their fault we miss penalties.

'We keep getting done for pace over the top' has been one of those zone myths that is now told as established fact...Our problem is we keep finding new and exotic ways of conceding goals but rarely have they been down to pace.

Not closing down second balls from corners or set pieces yes definitely.

Including the first goal at Bristol, Bradford's winning penalty, all 3 at Scunny from corners, Shrewsbury's winner, the game at Wimbledon.

Now add in a few strange ones like Coker's own goal, Harry's clearance and that pen. Even when we did get a free kick around the Northampton box we took it short and they broke and scored.

So yes some of our defending has been shocking and the annoying thing is in lots of those games like at Scunny the highlights make it look a lot worse than we really were over 90 minutes

Now add in the fact that we have had some laughable, division 7 of the Sunday league, misses and trouble at mill and you can see why we are where we are.......Problems, well yes that's obvious to all....Pace at the back is not the biggest....By a long shot.....IMO

I'm guessing Rob Kiernan was meant to be part of the CB plans. He did pass his medical so not sure who to point the finger with that one.

Anton and Turner have actually done quite well when they have been together, apart from the Bristol match and as we know there are things still emerging from that weekend.

From his first league appearance down at Pompey, Turner looked the part. Him and Anton had a good first 45 and right at the end Turner headed down the chance that lead to the penalty. Likewise a few days later he was pulled down for that pen at MK.....Is it their fault we miss penalties.

'We keep getting done for pace over the top' has been one of those zone myths that is now told as established fact...Our problem is we keep finding new and exotic ways of conceding goals but rarely have they been down to pace.

Including the first goal at Bristol, Bradford's winning penalty, all 3 at Scunny from corners, Shrewsbury's winner, the game at Wimbledon.

Now add in a few strange ones like Coker's own goal, Harry's clearance and that pen. Even when we did get a free kick around the Northampton box we took it short and they broke and scored.

So yes some of our defending has been shocking and the annoying thing is in lots of those games like at Scunny the highlights make it look a lot worse than we really were over 90 minutes

Now add in the fact that we have had some laughable, division 7 of the Sunday league, misses and trouble at mill and you can see why we are where we are.......Problems, well yes that's obvious to all....Pace at the back is not the biggest....By a long shot.....IMO

Well suffice to say you always back PB's corner. The majority view is that he is wrong so I guess that applies to you to. PB has made mistakes. It's time he accepted them, faced them and amended them.

Well suffice to say you always back PB's corner. The majority view is that he is wrong so I guess that applies to you to. PB has made mistakes. It's time he accepted them, faced them and amended them.

Come on Rab your better than this.

I think Rob Kiernan being unavailable has been a massive loss and one they couldn't have been foreseen. It has had a knock on effect across the team in terms of shape, balance and pace. He probably has tied up a significant proportion of the playing /transfer budget too if you think age and the circumstances that he signed for us (suspect he wasn't cheap even if we didn't pay Rangers much for him). With him missing we probably have rushed a few players back, played them when they weren't 100% (particularly Ferdinand). I know it is one of a series of mishaps - but nevertheless one they could have certainly done without.

I agree on Kiernans injury being a huge blow and we’ve not really thought through contingency. But we should agree to disagree on the rest. Lack of pace at the back means you defend deep, the midfield drops deep, the number 10 gets fed up and will drop back to try to get involved and the centre forward is isolated. Add it in with the fact we’ve not signed anyone in midfield with pace (it was clear last year that we wouldn’t push on with glash) so we don’t give the man on the ball options quickly enough and revert to launching long balls from the back to an isolated forward. PB signed individuals and not a team.

I think Rob Kiernan being unavailable has been a massive loss and one they couldn't have been foreseen. It has had a knock on effect across the team in terms of shape, balance and pace. He probably has tied up a significant proportion of the playing /transfer budget too if you think age and the circumstances that he signed for us (suspect he wasn't cheap even if we didn't pay Rangers much for him). With him missing we probably have rushed a few players back, played them when they weren't 100% (particularly Ferdinand). I know it is one of a series of mishaps - but nevertheless one they could have certainly done without.

Didn't we sign Kiernan when he was struggling with a chronic injury?

The other thing about Kiernan, I thought at the time he was signed as potential cover for Lenny.

The fact that Lenny could have gone anytime in August had a definite effect on PB's recruitment last summer. The current rule that goes to the end of August does no one a favour in the lower leagues.

I did say at the time we should have taken the money and planned accordingly in July.

Come on Rab your better than this.

I'd also point out that just because more people are posting anti-Brown sentiments on social media it doesn't necessarily mean it is the view of the majority of fans - and it would be wrong to try and pretend otherwise. The 'Hawks' if you like tend to be the ones that shout loudest but don't underestimate the 'Doves' who often tend to prefer to keep their own counsel. I don't think that the recent poll on SZ proves anything other than the above.

I'd also point out that just because more people are posting anti-Brown sentiments on social media it doesn't necessarily mean it is the view of the majority of fans - and it would be wrong to try and pretend otherwise. The 'Hawks' if you like tend to be the ones that shout loudest but don't underestimate the 'Doves' who often tend to prefer to keep their own counsel. I don't think that the recent poll on SZ proves anything other than the above.

There's an old saying....'Empty vessels make the most noise'

As someone once said ... "I'm not very keen for doves or hawks. I think we need more owls."

Didn't we sign Kiernan when he was struggling with a chronic injury?

I'd not heard that - didn't he start a game in August though as a holding midfielder? If so I'm not sure 'chronic' would have been a particularly accurate description of any pre-season niggle he might have had. 'Chronic' to most people I think conjures up visions of someone bring properly laid up with little hope of respite/cure.

There's an old saying....'Empty vessels make the most noise'

Very old, back to Plato.

"An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers".

Must check to see who has had the most to say on this subject :winking:

It's probably not who you think it is 'Mick'.

On Kiernan, he played in that League Cup match against Newport as a centre-half 'Brett'.

Did OK, but wouldn't say he shone out particularly.

Back