• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Think it's 'DWB' that needs to explain.

He mentioned the transfer kitty being wasted and 'Rigsby' asked him what transfer kitty he is referring to, as I doubt anyone has exact figures as to what was made available.

But it's still irrelevant. We do not know the extent of the kitty but we know it has been spent poorly. Too much risk. League 1 is rigorous. One experienced player can be a help but too many on their last legs is unwise. The effective teams have pace and pace is the only counter to this. Barrett was a prime example. A fans favourite yes but one ball over the top of him and he was left grabbing at shirts to try and recover and he was not as slow as our current CB 'best' pairing.

Whether it was fifty grand or fifty pence it has been spent poorly.

To be fair if the transfer kitty was 50p I think PB has done a cracking job![/QUOTE]t

That's just it PB has not even spent 50p on any off these so called big names because they were all out of contract when they signed. There never has been a transfer kitty for L1......

That's just it PB has not even spent 50p on any off these so called big names because they were all out of contract when they signed. There never has been a transfer kitty for L1......

Yes, but even with "free" transfers you still pay signing on fees and wages. PB does/ did have a budget to play with. I agree that PB has a limited hand with which to play, but it is disingenuous to suggest there is no budget at all. To be honest, I don't really have a problem with the signings-- PB has made some really good ones-- it's the performances and the results that are the problem.

To be fair if the transfer kitty was 50p I think PB has done a cracking job!
t

That's just it PB has not even spent 50p on any off these so called big names because they were all out of contract when they signed. There never has been a transfer kitty for L1......[/QUOTE]

The kitty or budget is one and the same and he has spent it poorly. No transfer fees I accept but still he got through the amount of money allocated for players and poorly.

But it's still irrelevant. We do not know the extent of the kitty but we know it has been spent poorly. Too much risk. League 1 is rigorous. One experienced player can be a help but too many on their last legs is unwise. The effective teams have pace and pace is the only counter to this. Barrett was a prime example. A fans favourite yes but one ball over the top of him and he was left grabbing at shirts to try and recover and he was not as slow as our current CB 'best' pairing.

Agreed, but I still stick with my original point that hardly anyone felt these were poor signings in the summer.

Indeed, I would wager that other clubs in League One saw us signing the likes of Kightly and thinking that we mean business this season, having just missed out on the play-offs last season.

Also, don't forget on the budget (wages) we had offloaded players, as well, so there is a nett spend here, which I think is the point 'Rigsby' is alluding to.

.. I don't really have a problem with the signings-- PB has made some really good ones-- it's the performances and the results that are the problem.

Spot on.

It's the under-performing of key players and not signings in the summer, that has us where we are.

t

The kitty or budget is one and the same and he has spent it poorly. No transfer fees I accept but still he got through the amount of money allocated for players and poorly.[/QUOTE]

No it isn't....Not the same at all. The budget is the total a manger can spend on players etc wages for each season.

Obviously teams like Scunthorpe, Fleetwood and Posh will sign younger better players because they have what SUFC don't....Money for transfers in the first place

How relevant is that question? Whether it was fifty grand or fifty pence it has been spent poorly. Hindsight plays a part in this appraisal but the length of contracts and renewed contracts for certain individuals did not need a crystal ball to see it lacked business sense or even common sense.

If you don't understand then there's no point in explaining.[/QUOTE]

Drifting back to your old ways I see.
No idea why you are asking me how much was in the transfer kitty, how would I know? Onceknownasarab has made a valid point which you again have chosen to sidestep. It doesn't matter how much is in the kitty, it wasn't spent wisely, everyone accepts than. Ex premier stars aren't cutting it this season and that's part of the problem. Ron has acknowledged to me that the players aren't doing it without telling me the reason why but he knows and he is in the process of fixing it

Agreed, but I still stick with my original point that hardly anyone felt these were poor signings in the summer.

Indeed, I would wager that other clubs in League One saw us signing the likes of Kightly and thinking that we mean business this season, having just missed out on the play-offs last season.

Also, don't forget on the budget (wages) we had offloaded players, as well, so there is a nett spend here, which I think is the point 'Rigsby' is alluding to.

It was too many risks. Look back on posts and I warned about the defence before the season kicked off and I was not alone. I also did not see anything to suggest we meant business but had long felt this was going to be a painful season. I tried to put a positive slant on it at times but in truth we are not only in a desperate position but I doubt the worst has yet arrived. Partly because of the signings but also because he can't get the best out of the unit because they are not a unit. He assembled it and in the process dismantled any hope.

Drifting back to your old ways I see.
No idea why you are asking me how much was in the transfer kitty, how would I know? Onceknownasarab has made a valid point which you again have chosen to sidestep. It doesn't matter how much is in the kitty, it wasn't spent wisely, everyone accepts than. Ex premier stars aren't cutting it this season and that's part of the problem. Ron has acknowledged to me that the players aren't doing it without telling me the reason why but he knows and he is in the process of fixing it

People don't all accept that, though 'DWB'.

Most will accept that the performances have been below par, but at the time, the signings were generally seen as good positive moves.

The question on the kitty is relevant and the amounts are, as well.

I think the key is that we need the playing staff accounts for 2016-17 and 2017-18 as a comparison.

Without those, it's not possible to say that, at the time, money had been wasted.

It was too many risks. Look back on posts and I warned about the defence before the season kicked off and I was not alone. I also did not see anything to suggest we meant business but had long felt this was going to be a painful season. I tried to put a positive slant on it at times but in truth we are not only in a desperate position but I doubt the worst has yet arrived. Partly because of the signings but also because he can't get the best out of the unit because they are not a unit. He assembled it and in the process dismantled any hope.

I think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone walking out of RH after the Blackburn game to not be excited about what the season had in store, though.

The kitty or budget is one and the same and he has spent it poorly. No transfer fees I accept but still he got through the amount of money allocated for players and poorly.

No it isn't....Not the same at all. The budget is the total a manger can spend on players etc wages for each season.

Obviously teams like Scunthorpe, Fleetwood and Posh will sign younger better players because they have what SUFC don't....Money for transfers in the first place[/QUOTE]

It is exactly the same. If PB chose to pay a transfer fee it would reduce his wages budget. There is only one amount he has. Oh, and he paid for Bolger, another good player he could not get the best from. Perhaps it's best he doesn't pay out transfer fees.

Obviously teams like Scunthorpe, Fleetwood and Posh will sign younger better players because they have what SUFC don't....Money for transfers in the first place

It is exactly the same. If PB chose to pay a transfer fee it would reduce his wages budget. There is only one amount he has. Oh, and he paid for Bolger, another good player he could not get the best from. Perhaps it's best he doesn't pay out transfer fees.[/QUOTE]

Nope its not.

Would that be The Bolger booed by fans but ended up being a major factor in our promotion. His penalty alone was worth the money.

Spot on.

It's the under-performing of key players and not just signings in the summer, that has us where we are.

Four existing, senior players of what would generally be regarded as the spine of the team at the start of the season in Cox, Ranger, Wordsworth and Ferdinand have all been incredibly disappointing this season. I think everyone (fans and management) would have rightly expected significantly more from those four (individually and collectively). Any team would struggle with four of the so-called better, more experienced, higher paid players so out of sorts.

Added to that two of them at least sound as if they have let themselves and the club down off the pitch as well as on it.

I think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone walking out of RH after the Blackburn game to not be excited about what the season had in store, though.

For every fan, after the Blackburn game, that thought we were going places, I could find another that erred on the side of caution because we have seen it all before. PB's reign has been totally inconsistent even in his best season with us. Ask yourself, apart from that day, how many convincing victories have we had? So few you can name them on the back of a stamp. We nearly always look disjointed and our attacking play has been brought to question ever since PB has been here.
If RM wants the manager to stay, he stays. I will always support the team but if PB cannot show an ounce of humility and change some of his bewildering behaviour, then I will always criticise him. I would be more than happy for him to remain if he could redress the issues but in that I lack faith.

Wow in the nearly 5 years Brown has been here he has only spent a transfer fee of 25,000 pounds on one player the rest of his signings being free isn't he doing a good job...

It is exactly the same. If PB chose to pay a transfer fee it would reduce his wages budget. There is only one amount he has. Oh, and he paid for Bolger, another good player he could not get the best from. Perhaps it's best he doesn't pay out transfer fees.[/QUOTE]

Obviously teams like Scunthorpe, Fleetwood and Posh will sign younger better players because they have what SUFC don't....Money for transfers in the first place[/QUOTE]

Words are being twisted, he has wasted a lot of wages, on a lot of rubbish and injured players (you can point out we don’t know the salaries, but let’s not be silly) you must be one of the few that back him, or you just want to be antagonistic, only you know.

Back