• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend_Lady

Ginger Sam
After having a brief debate with ESB on the Sex in the City Film thread, it is clear that men and women both act very differently.

What I have always wondered is, is this due to the genetic make up of a man and woman's bodys' or is it down to peer pressure, media, social groups etc?

For instance lets use the SITC Film as an example. It is seen as unacceptable and uncool by other men to go and watch a chick flick with your gf. Is this because the man simply does not have any relation to this film and is not interested or is it because of the peer pressure from friends that stops you wanting to go?

Also lets take things like crying. For most men it is seen unacceptable to show any kind of real emotion. People have aboslutely ripped John Terry about bawling his eyes out after loosing the CLF (Haha). Yet if a woman was seen crying on tv like perhaps Danni Minogue on X-factor Serena Williams loosing the wimbledon final, or Paula Radcliff dropping out of a marathon, would be laugh as hard? No we wouldnt.

There are so many gender issues between the two species it always make me wonder whether actions of the two are down to genetic make up i.e. the difference in brains etc or mostly down to the media, social groups etc?

After having a brief debate with ESB on the Sex in the City Film thread, it is clear that men and women both act very differently.

What I have always wondered is, is this due to the genetic make up of a man and woman's bodys' or is it down to peer pressure, media, social groups etc?

For instance lets use the SITC Film as an example. It is seen as unacceptable and uncool by other men to go and watch a chick flick with your gf. Is this because the man simply does not have any relation to this film and is not interested or is it because of the peer pressure from friends that stops you wanting to go?

Also lets take things like crying. For most men it is seen unacceptable to show any kind of real emotion. People have aboslutely ripped John Terry about bawling his eyes out after loosing the CLF (Haha). Yet if a woman was seen crying on tv like perhaps Danni Minogue on X-factor Serena Williams loosing the wimbledon final, or Paula Radcliff dropping out of a marathon, would be laugh as hard? No we wouldnt.

There are so many gender issues between the two species it always make me wonder whether actions of the two are down to genetic make up i.e. the difference in brains etc or mostly down to the media, social groups etc?

Not answering your question as such but I think Terry has taken flak for crying out of his own sense of self-pity rather than that he was crying per se. No one lambasted Stuart Perace or Gazza at Italia 90 because it was seen that they were crying at bitter disappointment rather than feeling sorry for themselves.

I think men wouldn't want to see Sex in the City because it is so overtly female and glamourising a lifestyle that men (in general) simply don't care a $hite about.

Not answering your question as such but I think Terry has taken flak for crying out of his own sense of self-pity rather than that he was crying per se. No one lambasted Stuart Perace or Gazza at Italia 90 because it was seen that they were crying at bitter disappointment rather than feeling sorry for themselves.

I think men wouldn't want to see Sex in the City because it is so overtly female and glamourising a lifestyle that men (in general) simply don't care a $hite about.

Gazza did cry out of self-pity. He got booked and knew he'd miss the final.

An SZ member had the following in his signature.

"God gave man a brain & a penis, but sadly not enough blood to operate both at the same time"

Think that may go some way to answering your question.:)

An SZ member had the following in his signature.

"God gave man a brain & a penis, but sadly not enough blood to operate both at the same time"

Think that may go some way to answering your question.:)

Think you could be right there. I do often think that men really do think with their smaller (bigger for some) brain down below.

That was during the game he started welling-up. But at the end when we were out, his real tears came then. I don't think he would have been crying about missing the 3rd place play-off?

People do kinda laugh at Gazza though it is well known that he loves a cry but he does get laughed at about it doesnt he?

Not that I know of. And as stated above, nobody has lambasted Peter Clarke for his girly tears, that great big girls blouse have they?

Ok so then, is it acceptable for men to cry about football only? Is this the only time men think that it is ok to shed a tear for good or bad in football? Oh and death obviously. But apart from that, anything else would be considered girly?

Its all about makeup.... Women wear it and men dont! I cry, most men do especially when col u got relegated, tears of joy they were. I can remember crying when my brother broke my Evil Knieval toy only to be given a guitar instead, Seriously we are different in terms of emotions, as my wife thinks I am very hard person but I guess thats the way I was dragged up. I think it comes down to age as well because as I have got older I tend to be a bit more relaxed about things and having children creates a bond that no parent can deny tugs at your heartstrings. I did blubb a bit the other night watching forest gump but pretended something had flew in my eye.... What a whuss I am!

Ok so then, is it acceptable for men to cry about football only? Is this the only time men think that it is ok to shed a tear for good or bad in football? Oh and death obviously. But apart from that, anything else would be considered girly?

Football is more than life or death.

Thing is, I can understand this. Being a football fan myself I realise how important it is to people and how sad you feel for being relegated or England not qualifying etc. If a man cries over say Forest Gump *ahem Winkle* is that seen to be ok?!

no not at all, he should have his male membership revoked and gender reassingment surgery immediately ;)

Thing is, I can understand this. Being a football fan myself I realise how important it is to people and how sad you feel for being relegated or England not qualifying etc. If a man cries over say Forest Gump *ahem Winkle* is that seen to be ok?!

Actually, this didnt make me sad..... thanks to that idiot Maclaren and his mega rich 'stars' I found myself giving up caring!

(though now the TV previews are starting it is annoying we are not there!).

If a man cries over say Forest Gump *ahem Winkle* is that seen to be ok?!
We just cannot win either way! You women moan about us not being in touch with our sensitive side, and you just throw it back in our faces....Typical! Besides, I am ok with 99% of the film, its just the bit when he visits "Jenneys grave" I just start filling up!

We just cannot win either way! You women moan about us not being in touch with our sensitive side, and you just throw it back in our faces....Typical! Besides, I am ok with 99% of the film, its just the bit when he visits "Jenneys grave" I just start filling up!

Personally I dont have a problem with men who are football fans showing emotion as I know how important that is to a man. Although if I was watching a bit of a sad film with a bf and he started blubbering then I would be out of there faster than Forest Gump. I am not one of those women who thinks that men need to be in touch with their femine side! A little compassion and perhaps a lump in the throat is acceptable but anything more is surely seen as strange?!

Back