• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mental Health Mental Health

I am not sure what you mean by "dedicated room" I put it in this froum as to me it is relevant to all that is happening out there at the moment. It is a terrible problem for so many but we can't have it in Chit-chat as it is not SUFC related. We can put it in Homers bar if you would prefer that? Failing that I am open to suggestions.
Thanks. Which is the most visited bit of the forum? Could we put it there as, even if it's not directly related to football, it's the page most people visit?

I get depression, I doubt that few of us don't.
Winter is worse for so many reasons.
For me running is a great balancer, I always feel better after an hour getting muddy, cold, wet etc and nowadays only run off road to save my knees.

Dog walking is a great relaxer as well.

If you haven't visited the threads there are both running and pets threads on SZ Homer's section.

I am not sure what you mean by "dedicated room" I put it in this froum as to me it is relevant to all that is happening out there at the moment. It is a terrible problem for so many but we can't have it in Chit-chat as it is not SUFC related. We can put it in Homers bar if you would prefer that? Failing that I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for your reply.

The problem where is is right now, it's hidden away in a sub sub section, so people won't know where it is or even know about it.

Couldn't you create a new main section dedicated to it on the home page?

I have suffered with mental health over the years, I tried to committed suicide the few days before the Ipswich at home game in the championship back in the late 00s lucky my girlfriend at the time found me and got me to hospital otherwise I would not be here now.

I wish I could have been there for Bob Evans years back, that was tragic and he was a lovely bloke but you never know what’s going on inside somebodies head

Anyway yeah I have suffered recently as it goes, I don’t talk about it much because most people just laugh or think it’s Scott he’s messing, well I’m not I feel damn low, my health gets me down and yes that’s my own fault, I was a drug abuser and that has really hurt me long term, but I just feel sometimes you can’t talk about it as it’s seen as a weakness

I have suffered with mental health over the years, I tried to committed suicide the few days before the Ipswich at home game in the championship back in the late 00s lucky my girlfriend at the time found me and got me to hospital otherwise I would not be here now.

I wish I could have been there for Bob Evans years back, that was tragic and he was a lovely bloke but you never know what’s going on inside somebodies head

Anyway yeah I have suffered recently as it goes, I don’t talk about it much because most people just laugh or think it’s Scott he’s messing, well I’m not I feel damn low, my health gets me down and yes that’s my own fault, I was a drug abuser and that has really hurt me long term, but I just feel sometimes you can’t talk about it as it’s seen as a weakness

Scott, we have had our differences over the years and you have opened up to me privately in the past. My private messages are always open if you’re struggling or just want someone to chat too. I get lonely and do have moments of feeling down even more so in the current climate and enjoy talking to people.

Offers always there mate.

Scott, we have had our differences over the years and you have opened up to me privately in the past. My private messages are always open if you’re struggling or just want someone to chat too. I get lonely and do have moments of feeling down even more so in the current climate and enjoy talking to people.

Offers always there mate.
Bless you mate, will message you later if that’s ok

I trained as a mental health nurse many, many moons ago (1980) and trained at the old Runwell Hospital (those of you that remember it).
I have to say hand on heart I loved my time working there and eventually moved on and worked at Rochford Psychiatric Unit when it was apart of the old Rochford hospital.
Throughout my past 40 years working as a nurse (I now work in Primary Care) I have seen significant changes in Mental Health and the delivery of MH services however, it’s only been the last 2-3 years that it has come to the forefront of health care and it still remains the Cinderella service.

People are more open now but, people still feel uncomfortable in discussing it and others when informed often don’t know how to respond.
I do feel sometimes some people use the word “Mental Health” too freely and I often have discussions with people explaining that healthy anxiety is perfectly normal but, there is lots available out there now and most of it sadly if from volunteers etc.

I always say use the people around you for support and any good/true friend will be there for you. Sometimes people don’t want long and meaningful conversations nor do they want to be analysed they just need to talk to someone who will not judge nor make comment.

Remember that it is vital to keep your brain healthy just as much as your body

It

That's sad mate, you're lucky you have your girlfriend by your side, many people don't have that and suffer in silence.

I think people talk about it more now because it doesn't have a stigma attached to it.

I hope you're on the mend right now

It

That's sad mate, you're lucky you have your girlfriend by your side, many people don't have that and suffer in silence.

I think people talk about it more now because it doesn't have a stigma attached to it.

I hope you're on the mend right now
I’m ok mate I just don’t feel I can speak out with my friends or publicly for fear of being judged or laughed at.
All I wanted in my life was everybody else to be happy and I would do all I could to support others often to my own detriment

Sometimes friends are good to let things out, but honestly get professional help, Shout, Mind are just two or even Samaritans
NHS are running about 10 weeks behind for patients but they will call you to assess

If you find it hard to talk seriously SHOUT is a great service to use on line, all professional trained and you can spend hours on there, pm if you need further info, can honestly say it’s brilliant and there are lots of safety guards in place, the people online are superb and totally understanding , they donot push just wait for you to answer in your own time
You are not a lone especially during winter or Christmas never forget that

I get depression, I doubt that few of us don't.
Winter is worse for so many reasons.
For me running is a great balancer, I always feel better after an hour getting muddy, cold, wet etc and nowadays only run off road to save my knees.

Dog walking is a great relaxer as well.

If you haven't visited the threads there are both running and pets threads on SZ Homer's section.

Dark night causes the brain to want to close down
SAD is season affective disorder and very common In people

I agree with you running and dog walking a great therapy but not everyone can do it

Be good if all runners could meet at Leigh for a run to the pier and back, as long as we all keep together and not make it a race and just talk might be a start once Covid is over , I’m up for starting it when the time is right

That's great from them. I must say I'm disappointed that this thread is hidden away still, even though I've asked it to be moved so everyone can see it when they log in.

That's great from them. I must say I'm disappointed that this thread is hidden away still, even though I've asked it to be moved so everyone can see it when they log in.

You’re very new to the site, having never posted before October 2020. Those of us who have been here a couple of decades have a decent feel for what Zoners can find and this is an appropriate home that can be easily found, in the context of a football fans forum. Thanks for your suggestion but respectfully we do not agree. If you wish to discuss your suggestion any further please PM me, as further posts about that will be removed so as to not distract from the important subject of the thread. Cheers :Thumbs up:

Stay stronge people, get your jabs if you're in the vulnerable category. We have a light at the end of the tunnel.

Stay stronge people, get your jabs if you're in the vulnerable category. We have a light at the end of the tunnel.
My mother in law gets her booster/2nd jab this week and that is already a major lessening of anxiety.
Once all the over 70s ( the main serious or fatal group) then hopefully the NHS can catch a break.

My mother in law gets her booster/2nd jab this week and that is already a major lessening of anxiety.
Once all the over 70s ( the main serious or fatal group) then hopefully the NHS can catch a break.

My wife’s grandmother was due to have her booster this week but she has some friends who had their first one earlier and their second has been postponed. She is expecting the same to happen with hers.

My wife’s grandmother was due to have her booster this week but she has some friends who had their first one earlier and their second has been postponed. She is expecting the same to happen with hers.
We have started to call people who are due their booster to cancel and offer to others who have not had their first.

I've got some personal stuff that i'm currently working through and thought going to football last night would be a good way to "do something a bit normal".

Why is that if someone asks if your ok as they haven't seen you for a while you sometimes can't say what you truly want to say. Is it a case that you don't want to add the burden of your worries onto someone else that really just came over to say hello and to watch a game of football?

Is it a fear IF you open up and let the person know whats wrong that you'd break down in front of hundreds of people in the surrounding seats, so instead do the simple answer of, "Yeah i'm ok, how are you?"

Is it just me that also does the same to their loved ones when they ask whats wrong which then starts to push them further and further away?

I both watched and didn't watch the game last night. I just stared at it. I didn't know what the final score was (although the dissenting voices around me suggest we were well beaten) and the BBC app didn't really help when checking later (as it said Daggers won 0-4 and were 0-3 up at half time)

I've got some personal stuff that i'm currently working through and thought going to football last night would be a good way to "do something a bit normal".

Why is that if someone asks if your ok as they haven't seen you for a while you sometimes can't say what you truly want to say. Is it a case that you don't want to add the burden of your worries onto someone else that really just came over to say hello and to watch a game of football?

Is it a fear IF you open up and let the person know whats wrong that you'd break down in front of hundreds of people in the surrounding seats, so instead do the simple answer of, "Yeah i'm ok, how are you?"

Is it just me that also does the same to their loved ones when they ask whats wrong which then starts to push them further and further away?

I both watched and didn't watch the game last night. I just stared at it. I didn't know what the final score was (although the dissenting voices around me suggest we were well beaten) and the BBC app didn't really help when checking later (as it said Daggers won 0-4 and were 0-3 up at half time)

Firstly, I hope you're ok..

I think it's just the British way, we tend to just Soldier on.

Mental health isn't a sign of weakness, it's a sign of someone carrying on for too long.

Back