• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Davros

The Whippet
Elvis currently number 1 in the midweeks, but will he stay there...I doubt it, they start of strong and then run out of stock. I'd expect U2 to be no1 by Sunday.
Current sales also see the Doves, Rhagav and Noise next door inside the Top ten. Daniel Bedingfield low jus scraping the top 20 atm, with my tune of the week Motiv8 at midweek pos 47
sad.gif

A Rundown....

Singles

01 (NEW) Elvis Presley - Wooden Heart
02 (NEW) U2 - Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
03 (01) Eminem - Like Toy Soldiers
04 (NEW) Doves - Black & White Town
05 (03) Brian & Delta - Almost here
06 (NEW) Destiny's Child - Soldier
07 (04) Ashanti - Only U
08 (NEW) Raghav - Angel Eyes
09 (05) Ciara - Goodies
10 (NEW) Noise Next Door - Calendar Girl

New Entries 11-40
13 Duke Spirit - Lion Rip
17 The Kills - The Good Ones
18 Daniel Bedingfield - Wrap My Words Around You
33 Beautiful South - This Will Be Our Year

New Entries 41-75
43 Apartment
46 Adam Green
47 Motiv 8
50 Fierce Girl

Albums

01 Athlete
02 The Killers
03 Mcihael Buble
04 Scissor Sisters
05 Green Day

Other Album New Entries
37 Hanson - Underneath
42 Michael MacDonald - Motown II

Bring back the days when a new entry did well to get in the top 20 and songs went straight in at number one about once every 5 years!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave @ Feb. 09 2005,13:19)]Elvis currently number 1 in the midweeks, but will he stay there...I doubt it, they start of strong and then run out of stock. I'd expect U2 to be no1 by Sunday.
Sad state of affairs - the number 1 will either be someone who's been dead for years or a band who's best years are far behind them and whose lead singer sees himself as some kind of world statesman.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Feb. 09 2005,13:42)]Charts? Next.

rock.gif
Oh I don't know Kev, as a music fan (as I know you are) wouldn't you love it if a band you really liked had chart success?

Most of the time the charts are sh*te, but occasionally a band or two will break through to invade the Top Of The Pops territory and those times are to be cherished.

Of course it doesn't mean that there isn't plenty of great stuff outside of the Top 40, it's just that I don't buy this indier than thou attitude of not wanting to be in the charts.

Look at the top 10. There's one song in there which is good and that is by The Doves. I must admit that Beddingfield's new song is quality though and am gutted at it being so low ...
biggrin.gif
He looks set to do well in the US and good luck to the bloater.

But as you say, Elvis is dead and we've got 18 tracks coming out from him in 1 friggin year. Great. I haven't even seen or heard U2's latest song.

However, look at the albums' and that will normally tell you something. This is where i'd look before the singles and you'll normally find at least 3 or 4 good groups in the top ten ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Feb. 09 2005,14:00)]Look at the top 10. There's one song in there which is good and that is by The Doves. I must admit that Beddingfield's new song is quality though and am gutted at it being so low ...
biggrin.gif
He looks set to do well in the US and good luck to the bloater.

But as you say, Elvis is dead and we've got 18 tracks coming out from him in 1 friggin year. Great. I haven't even seen or heard U2's latest song.

However, look at the albums' and that will normally tell you something. This is where i'd look before the singles and you'll normally find at least 3 or 4 good groups in the top ten ...
I take your point but when a great single makes that breakthrough (Stone Roses and Happy Mondays on the same TOTP, The Prodigy at number 1, perennial indie losers Pulp storming the charts etc) it is a great feeling.

which.. SYF 1995, Stayin Alive in 95, SYF 2001 or Forever in 2002??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 09 2005,13:34)]Sad state of affairs - the number 1 will either be someone who's been dead for years or a band who's best years are far behind them and whose lead singer sees himself as some kind of world statesman.
Oof, feel the bitter resentment...

oops.gif
suspect.gif
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 09 2005,13:50)]I don't buy this indier than thou attitude...
Quality...

cool.gif

The charts tell us only one thing: that as often as the British public demonstrate that they have taste, class and a streak of independence (e.g. seeing Prodigy and The Cure atop the charts brought a big smile to my face), the British public then undo that good work by showing that they are unutterable morons (e.g. Mr. Blobby, Bob the Builder, Cliff Richard and other similar idiotic novelty acts).

Don't rely on the charts - you'll just end up disappointed; instead, allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised by them every so often...

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,10:21)]Cliff Richard and other similar idiotic novelty acts).
eh? he's the only pop star to have hits in five different decades. hardly a novelty act!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,10:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 09 2005,13:50)]I don't buy this indier than thou attitude...
Quality...

cool.gif
Don't know what you mean by that?

wink.gif

Seriously though, most of my musical taste is what you would call 'indie' but what I mean by an 'indier than thou attitude' is the sort of person who accuses their favourite bands of 'selling out' as soon as they sell some records or play live at larger venues. Above all I see myself as a fan of pop music, my taste was formed by listening to The Beatles, Stones, Kinks etc who were all pop bands, and I want the music I like to reach as many people as possible.

Spot on with your description of the charts by the way, another thing we agree on  
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 10 2005,10:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,10:21)]Cliff Richard and other similar idiotic novelty acts).
eh? he's the only pop star to have hits in five different decades. hardly a novelty act!
Please tell me that I didn't get a "bite" with that comment! Blimey, you really are working hard to impress this bird, whomever she may be...

tounge.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 10 2005,10:29)]Spot on with your description of the charts by the way, another thing we agree on  
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

We are going to bore people stiff on Friday week...

tounge.gif

As for "indier than thou", it manifests itself to me in that if I haven't bought a copy of NME recently, then somehow I'm not allowed to have an opinion about music...

oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 10 2005,10:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,10:34)]Please tell me that I didn't get a "bite" with that comment!
nah, just trying to show off my musical knowledge.
I think I'm suitably impressed...

upside.gif

Of its era (late 50s), Summer Holiday was decent mainstream pop. It's only since the 1980s that he's gone a bit wacko on us all...

oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,10:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 10 2005,10:29)]Spot on with your description of the charts by the way, another thing we agree on  
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

We are going to bore people stiff on Friday week...

tounge.gif

As for "indier than thou", it manifests itself to me in that if I haven't bought a copy of NME recently, then somehow I'm not allowed to have an opinion about music...

oops.gif
You won't get than attitude from me, I believe that everyone has a valid opinion on music. I may not agree with it and will argue for hours on the various merits or otherwise of different artists but will still respect it.

The only opinion I dont respect are people who, when asked what music they like say 'Oh, anything really' or 'Whatever's in the charts' - in other words people who don't like music. I cannot understand or even trust people who are not moved in some way by music, any knd of music, as that is just not human.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 10 2005,10:40)]I cannot understand or even trust people who are not moved in some way by music
Jings!

wow.gif

Fear not, you'll get no "whatever's in the charts" from me. If it weren't for this thread, I'd have no idea what's in the charts, other than the fact that Elvis's fan-club appear to be rigging them at the moment...

rock.gif

I guess my weakness is that my tastes are perhaps a little to catholic, which means that I don't know a particular niche of music as much as I'd like. I know more about Duruflé than your average indie kid, and more about Athlete than your average classical-bore... but when the former gets on to Babyshambles or the latter on to Schoenberg, I tend to get a bit lost...

suspect.gif

Back