• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

dan_mays

Coach
At the end of the Cheltenham game yesterday there was a small number of fans just putting the knife into Liam Dickenson.
I think everyone in agreement it was a dreadful performance yesterday but the whole team had a poor game.
Dickenson certainly did not deserve to be the only player singled out and come on people we should be sticking behind the team, what on earth do you think that will do for his confidence?

In the league that was our first defeat since Swindon away and we are 2nd in the table and promotion is the aim so we should be supporting the team not singling the players out for abuse

At the end of the Cheltenham game yesterday there was a small number of fans just putting the knife into Liam Dickenson.
I think everyone in agreement it was a dreadful performance yesterday but the whole team had a poor game.
Dickenson certainly did not deserve to be the only player singled out and come on people we should be sticking behind the team, what on earth do you think that will do for his confidence?

In the league that was our first defeat since Swindon away and we are 2nd in the table and promotion is the aim so we should be supporting the team not singling the players out for abuse

There have been several posts on here today with people winging and moaning about the performance the loss and this surely caps it these so called supporters Do Not Deserve to wear the Colours of SUFC be it a shirt a hat or even a badge with southend on it

We go on a fantasctic run and people moan we lose and and people moan there is no pleaseing people if and when we get promoted they will still ****ing moan its about time it ****ing stopped people shoud grow up and look at themselfs and think before they open the mouths and abuse the players

Either get behind the team and support SOUTHEND UNITED FC or just **** off and go and support somebody else :angry:

Groundhog-Day.jpg

Sadly, it isn't the first time and it won't be the last.

Well said Homer, it prompted a reaction from Dickenson which the guy completely deserved. We should be getting behind the team and supporting them they have all played their socks off to get us to where we are in the table and we are there on merit. it was 1 defeat it's not the end of the world.

We should not be abusing the players n also y dont they small section of fans chanting Martin Out just **** off to. There no need for that with reaction from some people you would think we are struggling at the foot of the table.

Bottom line we are 2nd, still in fa cup NOW LETS GET BEHIND THE LADS AND IF YOU CAN'T DO THAT DON'T BOTHER COMING

Coughlan said that the players did not put in enough effort, show enough pride or passion. Is that a form of abuse ?

Singling out individuals, when the whole team has underperformed is unlikely to be helpful.

Well said Homer, it prompted a reaction from Dickenson which the guy completely deserved.
Sorry, do you mean the guy(s) that were giving him abuse? If so I'm glad to hear it, Dicko has been one of our better players this season and doesn't deserve that kind of behaviour. Sounds to me, from your comments, that some of the more neanderthal of our supporters may have been present.

thats the typical supporter for you isnt it, one bad performance and anyone would think we have just dropped 10 places down the league, its how we bounce back the matters so lets keep showing some descent support over the next two games as i am sure we will pick it up again.

thats the typical supporter for you isnt it, one bad performance and anyone would think we have just dropped 10 places down the league, its how we bounce back the matters so lets keep showing some descent support over the next two games as i am sure we will pick it up again.
You might want to change that because "descent" means going down hill, which is something I think, none of us wants to happen! :winking: On the other hand "decent" support will hopefully pick them up!

If i could get to gamesi certainly would not carry on like that, however upset i was about the result. Now having said that, i reserve the right to moan of at players if i see fit. This is an old chestnut about people having a go at players when you may feel its either undeserved or downright stupid. people pay at the gate and act in a manner as they wish as long as it is inside the law, wether it is helpfull or not. You also have the right to come on here and complain about said supporters, wether that makes you right im not sure. again to single out players for abuse is at the the very least unhelpfull in my opinion, but then i suppose at the end of the day its all about opinions, and they are intitled to theres as much as you.

Think the only reason Dickinson was singled out by this young man was because he was the player who came nearest to the away fans to clap us for our support at the end of the match. It was one person venting his frustration at the first player he saw. He was very young and when he matures a little bit will realise it was stupid and pointless. As for Dickinson shrug it off mate and prove him an idiot with a great performance tomorrow and more to the point next Friday.

You might want to change that because "descent" means going down hill, which is something I think, none of us wants to happen! :winking: On the other hand "decent" support will hopefully pick them up!
That made me think: when the ref says he's sent a player off for dissent (swearing at the ref, etc), it's possible they've actually been sent off for descent (diving)?

Think the only reason Dickinson was singled out by this young man was because he was the player who came nearest to the away fans to clap us for our support at the end of the match. It was one person venting his frustration at the first player he saw. He was very young and when he matures a little bit will realise it was stupid and pointless. As for Dickinson shrug it off mate and prove him an idiot with a great performance tomorrow and more to the point next Friday.

Not necessarily - there was someone hurling abuse at Dickinson throughout the game. I couldn't see who it was though so don't know if it was the same bloke who did it at the end.

I can't believe people are abusing players. Our unbeaton run was always going to come to an end sometime and I for one expected there to be a dip in form. But for fans to do that is un-acceptable. Do they think that this will help the players perform better?? it won't it will just put them in a bad mood and **** them off. Get behind the boys, that will make them perform.

Teams have off days, this was our off day, we're not going to go a whole season without losing so lets be realistic.

Why does this not surprise me? Time and again, up and down the country regardless of what team you support, many football fans, believe that they deserve better. Quite frankly, if someone come into my company and told me I wasn't doing a good job today, I would tell them to **** off. That be regardless of whether they have the best interest of the company at heart or not.

Granted I would never tell a fan that if I was a professional sportsman but only for the reason I wouldn't want to damage my reputation, But I would certainly be thinking that they can pee off and leave me alone. I always believe if you are able to have a quiet word and tell someone to improve then great but shouting abuse when you have your mates around you is not big nor clever. It's actually totally pointless. Why not think of something productive to say, or suggest ways to improve.

How would anyone react to being called worthless, crap, etc. They would be de-motivated. In fact this point to me completely highlights why professional sports players will suffer with depression. If you haven't had a read, please view this article about Leon Mckenzie.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2071792/Leon-McKenzie-suicide-attempt-depression--interview.html

In my opinion, absolute mindless cretins. You can't always have a good day at the office. How can a striker have a good day at the office if he is starved of service. How likely is it a goalkeeper will have a good day at the office and your team win a game if the defence is having a shocker. It's a team game. We win and lose together. Berating players is totally unacceptable. Sure tell them you are disappointed but any swearing or personal abuse, why it has been 'allowed' for so long at football grounds is beyond me. Look at Luis Suarez getting punished for his gesture to the Fulham fans... Yet how many different people do you see use hand gestures in the crowd at a football match! Massively out of hand and quite frankly there will always be a percentage of people that you can never please.

Abuse on back of such a great unbeaten run makes this even more shocking. Well, I posted about mindset and positive thinking. This will just serve to crush a player and his team. Why would the players want to run their backside of for 'fans' like that? They wouldn't is the simple answer.

Despicable.

Back