• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In the North Bank of the 60's mouthy little ***** hurling any abuse at their own players were gently reminded with a slap that they were there to support the team, not abuse them.

In the North Bank of the 60's mouthy little ***** hurling any abuse at their own players were gently reminded with a slap that they were there to support the team, not abuse them.

Really, I spent my youth on the North Bank and we abused the players on a regular basis when we thought they deserved it. When shakespeare put plays on at the globe theatre in the 1500s if the crowd didn't think they were good enough they would boo and throw stuff at the actors. When they thought they where good they would cheer and throw money. To a man we stood up and clapped the team off at Victoria Road and all the other away wins. But like those shakespearian crowds we also have the right to show our unhappiness too. Where else can you go and throw abuse at officials , opposition players, opposition supporters and yes your own players. That stadium is the last bastion of our controlled lives when you dont have to control your emotions. A place you can scream at the top of your voice and tell people just what your thinking,and if that means giving your own players a bit of abuse long may it continue. Next time they come jogging out you just hope they dont want it again.

I think there is a big difference having a bit of a moan and the abuse I heard from the first minute of the game to the moment the people behind me left shortly before the end.

Also, it is selfish. If they want to swear for 90 minutes they can do it in the car on the way home.

I don't agree with the earlier point from the poster who said he'd give the players some abuse if they are playing badly so they don't do it again. I don't think anyone would work better with someone screaming at them while they tried to do their job.

Finally, what is the point in travelling to a game to shout abuse at the top of your voice at a team you purport to support. If you are going to be that disappointed, just stay at home.

Bloody Hell...didnt go saturday but heard what happened with regards to this incident...He goes most home games and away games, i no the lad a bit and i agree he aint the smartest tool in the book, he needs to learn how to keep his mouth shut at times, he learn with age like everyone else does. Unfair or not, everyone is allowed there opinon, some choice to keep it to thereself, some dont. Is life..it never change, always get people doing different things. But come on guys you not think some of you are going ott, Name and shame the young lad on here, absuing him behind his back..come on what good is that going to do...Soon as someone says there opinon at a football game, they have to be named on a public forum like this. somes things never change with SOUTHEND FANS.

I personally do not wish to be associated with the earlier remarks saying that some things never change with Southend Fans. I regard myself as a fan of many years standing but I would not dream of hurling abuse at a player or a team even if they had LOST 17 games on the bounce. There are ways and means of voicing discontent and hurling abuse can never be condoned however you try and dress it up. It's not about opinion it's about being reasonable, sensible and decent.

I think the only real abuse/criticism I was a big part of was at one Mr Colin Murphy...at Luton Town away!
Hey, we are all SOUTHEND UNITED...we are 2nd in the league.
Everyone is entitled to his/hers opinion...though lets get behind the lads!

Back