• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So, today as Mooney was coming on the pitch - there was a real hostile atmosphere aimed towards him. We wonder why players don't perform... I think this could be a blatantly obvious reason.

Feel free to slag individual players off on SZ where they can't necessarily see it, but don't attack the man before he's even stepped foot on the pitch... ridiculous!

For what it's worth I'm not a Mooney fan by any stretch, but I thought he looked our best player when he came on - actually put some effort in unlike the other 10 players on the pitch!

I've seen a lot of Mooney, particularly when he was playing up top with Kevin Lisbie.

With the right partner he will score goals.

The way Ranger played at Sheffield would definitely complement Mooney's talents.

If there are boos, they should be for whoever asks Mooney to play in a way that does not suit either him or the team - not for Mooney.

booboys also turn up to work and get paid good money. I would think about how you would perform whilst people are on your case. Would you be distracted? Would you feel uncomfortable? Would you get frustrated?Would you perform well? I doubt it, you'd phone in sick?

Exactly. Using my example, if your old man has been a prick to you for your whole life when you end up seeing him years in the future he doesn't need to know everything but you're going to go all out to show him how much better you are than what he thinks and humble him.

I'm not going to change people's opinion but I do just find it funny that for some reason because you've paid money you can basically bully someone.

View attachment 4235

So here's the Cognitive Behavioural Cycle. Throw a crowd of angry, spiteful men shrieking abuse into this.

Thought: **** me, they really think I'm ****.
Emotions: What's the point? Even if I put in a shift they'll just say I'll be **** next time
Behaviour: A player trudging about trying to do things, but more going through the motions.

So then the crowd boos some more and the cycle starts again.

I'm not trying to paint David Mooney as a superstar who just needs positive reinforcement to become a world beater, he's a bang average lower league player. But the fact that he came here with a reputation as being a bit crap has hindered him from the get go and may be knocking 25% off his play, who knows? But shut the fans up. Applaud him on, shout "come on Dave", shout "chin up mate - it'll work next time" when he's just missed a long ball he'll feel better and could spur him on to actually try and gain more positivity and give him a buzz when he gives the fans something to cheer.

Keep kicking the man isn't going to help anyone. Even the boo boys get more depressed, they get it off their chest but then the environment becomes more hostile and the negativity has breeded more negativity, thus the circle continues.

Problem is now, we've got a cycle and breaking it requires several thousand people to just give it up and give being positive a try.

Yeah right, that's going to happen.

Peace out.

Crawliano, I always thought of you as the guy who thought Barry Corr was crap, always looking for a cheap laugh. However the post above makes a lot of sense, I actually work in community mental health support and I'm very familiar with the cognitive behavioural cycle. I've never thought about it in terms of a footballers performance, you've certainly made me think again about how my behaviour might affect an individual's performance.

Last edited:
Crawliano, I always thought of you as the guy who thought Barry Corr was crap, always looking for a cheap laugh. However the post above makes a lot of sense, I actually work in community mental health support and I'm very familiar with the cognitive behavioural cycle. I've never thought about it in terms of a footballers performance, you've certainly made me think again about how my behaviour might affect an individual's performance.

I think the problem is that we do believe that footballers are super human and nothing gets to them. In reality a lot of these guys who have been brought through the big clubs and find themselves slipping down the leagues to their natural level have spent a large chunk of their formative years being mollycoddled and generally not gaining as much understanding of the adult world so I would imagine that things like being targeted by your own would just simply not compute.

Strangely as an aside, the other day I did happen to say this team needs Corr in it, not enough true arseholes in this team now and despite his myriad of shortcomings one thing he could do well was being an annoying dicksplat to play against. We miss that.

Never booed a player in my 40 years of watching football. However, Mooney is paid to score goals. He won't score goals unless he gets himself into the box. I'm not sure he's fit enough to perform at this level with his languid style making him a target. He's not the sort of player that PB could rely on and seems to play the game on his terms.

I think the problem is that we do believe that footballers are super human and nothing gets to them. In reality a lot of these guys who have been brought through the big clubs and find themselves slipping down the leagues to their natural level have spent a large chunk of their formative years being mollycoddled and generally not gaining as much understanding of the adult world so I would imagine that things like being targeted by your own would just simply not compute.

Strangely as an aside, the other day I did happen to say this team needs Corr in it, not enough true arseholes in this team now and despite his myriad of shortcomings one thing he could do well was being an annoying dicksplat to play against. We miss that.

BBBC :Worthy:....or should I move on :unsure:

David Mooney is a very clever player , his movement and finishing are brilliant .

Unfortunately, people seem to think that because he's tall he's a target man ... give him the ball to feet and allow him to attack face on and we will have a very good striker who at times is very annoying player for defenders to keep tabs on .

Also , may I add . He's wearing a Southend United shirt . If you want to boo and abuse him , I suggest you buy a Col.U shirt

No individual Southend player deserves that sort of treatment

Exactly. Using my example, if your old man has been a prick to you for your whole life when you end up seeing him years in the future he doesn't need to know everything but you're going to go all out to show him how much better you are than what he thinks and humble him.

I'm not going to change people's opinion but I do just find it funny that for some reason because you've paid money you can basically bully someone.

View attachment 4235

So here's the Cognitive Behavioural Cycle. Throw a crowd of angry, spiteful men shrieking abuse into this.

Thought: **** me, they really think I'm ****.
Emotions: What's the point? Even if I put in a shift they'll just say I'll be **** next time
Behaviour: A player trudging about trying to do things, but more going through the motions.

So then the crowd boos some more and the cycle starts again.

I'm not trying to paint David Mooney as a superstar who just needs positive reinforcement to become a world beater, he's a bang average lower league player. But the fact that he came here with a reputation as being a bit crap has hindered him from the get go and may be knocking 25% off his play, who knows? But shut the fans up. Applaud him on, shout "come on Dave", shout "chin up mate - it'll work next time" when he's just missed a long ball he'll feel better and could spur him on to actually try and gain more positivity and give him a buzz when he gives the fans something to cheer.

Keep kicking the man isn't going to help anyone. Even the boo boys get more depressed, they get it off their chest but then the environment becomes more hostile and the negativity has breeded more negativity, thus the circle continues.

Problem is now, we've got a cycle and breaking it requires several thousand people to just give it up and give being positive a try.

Yeah right, that's going to happen.

Peace out.

So it would be easier for the players to learn operant conditioning.
Scenario A). The crowd boos when the player performs like crap. Stop performing like crap and the crowd does not boo. Removing the crap is key.

For the many;
Scenario B). The crowd boos when the player performs like crap. Remove the manager, the player performs better and the crowd does not boo. Removing the manager is key.

You can choose whichever scenario suits your desires most.:smile:

Scenario A). The crowd boos when the player performs like crap. Stop performing like crap and the crowd does not boo. Removing the crap is key.

For the many;
Scenario B). The crowd boos when the player performs like crap. Remove the manager, the player performs better and the crowd does not boo. Removing the manager is key.

God I hope it's B....

This is the sort of thing I expect from Mooney this season.

[video=youtube;rfi_99FvizI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfi_99FvizI[/video]

They've just said on BBC Breakfast that the goal was disallowed for offside....

Think I'll leave that there and let others fill in the rest! ;-)

For the many;

Scenario A: Depends on the character I would say. I'm crap at playing the guitar, I can't just say "I won't be crap any more" and then mysteriously change, it requires a lot of things.

Scenario B: Removing the manager could bring about a more negative effect, this would result in the masses blaming the manager's manager (Ronnie Martini), then what?

I don't have the answers, but these solutions aren't long term fixes, they may create a short term fix but the moment Mooney shanks an open goal for example that's it, he's back to square one, even if he scored a hat trick the game before.

Scenario A: Depends on the character I would say. I'm crap at playing the guitar, I can't just say "I won't be crap any more" and then mysteriously change, it requires a lot of things.

Scenario B: Removing the manager could bring about a more negative effect, this would result in the masses blaming the manager's manager (Ronnie Martini), then what?

I don't have the answers, but these solutions aren't long term fixes, they may create a short term fix but the moment Mooney shanks an open goal for example that's it, he's back to square one, even if he scored a hat trick the game before.

Don't worry Crawliano, nobody has the answer. My post was not intended as serious suggestion. The thing to remember is that, when we know all there is to know about football, you will either be bored of football or merely as delusional as PB. :smile:

I wasn't listening to the other comments but the abuse as others have said was constant. His name was mentioned several times. How proud you must be

Judging by your previous posts about Brown I guess your one of the mob who 'bravely' abuse from the safety of your seat.

Well it's not like I can give him a text now is it? Christ.

Back