• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Morecambe v Southend United

What mathematical limitations are saying it's too late? You might want us to be relegated already if you think it will ease your pain but it's not really the mindset of a true fan, is it?

None of us want relegation, every week we cling on to hope & expectation that we're suddenly go on a winning run?.
To suggest any true fan wishes for our departure from the football league is total nonsense?.

Perhaps you'd care to define what a "true fan " is in your opinion?
As I've just outlined, one readily identifiable trait might be acting purposefully defeatist, shrouding themself as a 'realist' and offering "incessant, triumphant calls of 'we're down'". I'll leave that there.

A decent battling performance tonight against a team that is clearly better than we are. It won’t be this result and performance that sees us relegated. What struck me about our goal was the quality of Elvis’s cross. Even we would have been hard pressed to avoid getting the ball in the net. But I can’t remember any other crosses this season of that quality. We either balloon them high or fail to beat the first defender and its the same with corners. Hard though we have battled in a lot of games we fail to execute the basics consistently enough to exert pressure and make it count. Of course, having a striker worthy of the name would help!

I agree that would be a tautology. I would also label the incessant, triumphant calls of "we're down" from 'realists' as not coming from true fans.

I've never heard the word 'tautology' mentioned before, have no idea what it mean's?. Certainly wasn't ever mentioned in my English lessons at Belfairs High nigh on 50 years ago!.
I consider myself a 'true fan', having attended games for 54 years, & probably travelled more miles to watch away games, than Phillias Fogg did in his travels!.
I'm a glass 1/2 full guy rather than 1/2 empty, but alas i really don't see how we're get out of this tragic mess?.

As I've just outlined, one readily identifiable trait might be acting purposefully defeatist, shrouding themself as a 'realist' and offering "incessant, triumphant calls of 'we're down'". I'll leave that there.

IF you think I, or any other SUFC fan, enjoys the prospect of us playing in the NL next season you're mistaken.

Otherwise I fail to understand what point you might be trying to make,

I've never heard the word 'tautology' mentioned before, have no idea what it mean's?. Certainly wasn't ever mentioned in my English lessons at Belfairs High nigh on 50 years ago!.
I consider myself a 'true fan', having attended games for 54 years, & probably travelled more miles to watch away games, than Phillias Fogg did in his travels!.
I'm a glass 1/2 full guy rather than 1/2 empty, but alas i really don't see how we're get out of this tragic mess?.
Exactly that, being a realist makes you a lesser supporter to some folk on here which just isn’t true in most cases.

Exactly that, being a realist makes you a lesser supporter to some folk on here which just isn’t true in most cases.
A realist "we're in a very tough situation. I can't see us gaining enough ground to stay up(, but stranger things have happened.)" [I've added the bit in parentheses cos you get some optimist and some pessimistic realists, eh]
A defeatist "we're down. There's no way back."
A noticeable difference, although it might only subtle to some people, but a difference nonetheless. Also, it's one defeatists often like to ignore so they can pretend they're actually realists.

I think the point being made is that statements like "we are down" are defeatist, but also are clearly not true.
So what do you say on Saturday if Col U lose at Oldham on Friday night and we defeat Crawley on Saturday?
5 games left, 2 points in it and away games left at Col U and Barrow. Away games crucially, where our form since the beginning of December has been good.
Yes the position is not great, but we are categorically not down.

Was surprised by the lack of urgency shown at times in the last 20 minutes
Totally agree. Not least Mark Oxley, who absolutely MUST go back to the goal-line to tap his sodding boots against the post for no apparant reason.

Back