• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Most disliked Blues player ever

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ Jan. 15 2005,11:26)]Billy Kellock
Yep Kellock would be my choice he had such a nasty streak when he tackled even Southend supporters booed him when he was on the pitch.....
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seenyeva kryevyetka @ Jan. 15 2005,10:27)]What I always remember though is it was because of Silkman that Richard Cadette (my favourite player) decided to join us. That's something to thank him for.

My least favourite player was actually Mike Marsh (await flak) as, despite a few nice touches and penalties, always gave me the impression that he was just here to make money and p*ss it up with his mate Ronnie. His usual on-pitch demeanour always made me feel that we fans should have been grateful that he had actually bothered to put a shirt on and leave the warmth of the dressing room.
I seem to remember Silkman acted as his agent when he went to Sheffield Utd.

Marsh only came to us as he was stranded in Turkey after Graham Sourpuss got the sack and left him and Dean Saunders and one other in Turkey....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seenyeva kryevyetka @ Jan. 15 2005,10:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Jan. 15 2005,08:46)]Barry Silkman, who thought he was far better than he actually was and surely a sign of desperation from manager Bobby Moore.
What I always remember though is it was because of Silkman that Richard Cadette (my favourite player) decided to join us. That's something to thank him for.
Actually that's only half true. He came because Bobby Moore was manager.

Lee Hodges- f**king flash hogger with no end product. the fact that he plays for Thurrock proved I was right at the time which I take great pleasure in. I remember at the time we were trying to get him permo he said he had 'an offer from Cannes'. Ended up joining Sc**thorpe.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 17 2005,11:14)]Has to be Conlon, absolute dog poo !!!
In recent years I always thought that the Newman era team was full of to**ers: Belgrave, Rawle, Jones, McSweeney (aggro Basildonian tw*t) Thurgood (no brain to speak of) Flahavan (thinks he's the goalkeeping Pele,) Broad (couldn't give a toss,) and Beardo (hates us all one minute, then plays the fans favourite when he comes back.) Supporting that lot was a tough job.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 17 2005,11:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 17 2005,11:14)]Has to be Conlon, absolute dog poo !!!
In recent years I always thought that the Newman era team was full of to**ers: Belgrave, Rawle, Jones, McSweeney (aggro Basildonian tw*t) Thurgood (no brain to speak of) Flahavan (thinks he's the goalkeeping Pele,) Broad (couldn't give a toss,) and Beardo (hates us all one minute, then plays the fans favourite when he comes back.) Supporting that lot was a tough job.
Just think Newman now has the chance to prove what great management/coaching material he is at Cambridge....it should settle the arguement once and for all....
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Jan. 15 2005,08:28)]Now, I'll take a stab at Matt the Shrimps most hated shrimper...

ooohhh...

let me see....

Jeroen Boere?
Ooh, you've stuck your neck out there...

tounge.gif

Even if the Japan comments were untrue (and I don't know either way), I still loathe him.

I try to judge most players on a "wages / ability / end-product ratio" - and I see that I'm not the only one. The mentioning of Marsh on this list would seem to confirm that other people look at that ratio too. Marsh was someone of enormous talent, and for whom we paid a lot of money - £500K in transfer fees to Galatasaray; and, presumably, a substantial amount of money in wages.

And the end product was... well, a little over adequate. He was the best midfielder at the club - but when your competition includes an ancient Whelan (who often still managed to look a better player) or Phil Gridelet - then that's not hard.

Boere is another who fails abjectly on the wages / ability / end-product ratio. Boere was a player of "low-Premier$hite" quality - someone who had the ability to play in a side in the bottom third of the Premier$hite, and to get by and score goals.

Instead, he trousered £3,500 a week (so far as I know - and that was in 1997, let's not forget) to play in Division 2 - perhaps 40 league places or so below his ability.

In that context, and on that wage-bill, 14 goals in a season is utterly derisory. Can any of those people who like Boere honestly say they ever saw him bust a gut for us? Did he ever make out like he cared?

It's why I can forgive the likes of - say - Neil Campbell. He was an atrocious player, a donkey of the utmost order. But he usually played like he gave a sh*t. At least he bloody tried, at least he appeared to care, and at least he didn't cost us the sort of wages that drove us to the edge of the abyss...

mad.gif

*and breathe*

Other players I disliked include:

1. Graeme Jones - not merely for his crapness; but his surliness too. For a seasoned pro to rip the ball off a young Tes Bramble at Rushden in order to take the penalty - and it was done purely to silence his critics amongst the travelling support - was petulant. For him to then miss the target completely showed him up for the walking bucket of excrement that he was.

2. Gordon Connelly - for being the least talented player I have ever seen in the hallowed blue shirt.

3. Mark Rawle - for welching on a deal.

4. Barrington Belgrave - for always talking the talk, and then always spectacularly failing to walk the walk.

5. Neville Southall & Mark Prudhoe - both for failing to call it a day, and instead believing that it would be acceptable for them to eke out their days at Roots Hall. In other words, for having the gall to think that we wouldn't mind having someone in goal for us (and on our books) who was utterly past it. A pretty disgraceful display from two men who should have known better - and whom in their day had been good (or, in Southall's case, superb) keepers, but whose days had left them long before they came to Roots Hall in search of an utterly underserved pay-cheque. It is a category which Kevin O'Callaghan possibly fits into as well - one of the few players whom Webby badly misjudged during his Midas period.

6. Steve Jones - for being a fat, useless waster; and for having the gall to state publicly that the only reason he wanted to play for us was because we happened to be convenient for his family home in Benfleet. What a nob.

7. Any player who has had the opportunity to do what most of us would give our left bollock for - i.e. play professional football - but who appear to have sacrificed that opportunity on the altar of arrogance or sloth. Such players might include:

*Gary Cross (the ciggies?)
*Lee Hodges (the arrogance?)
*Scott Forbes (ciggies again?)
*Stephen Broad (not having his heart in it?)

Much as it pains me to say it, if David Lee doesn't succeed at Kidderminster (or if they go down), he will also fit into this category... and he has only himself to blame.

Right, that's enough detesting on a Monday morning...

sad.gif

Matt

P.S. Here's a great stat for you, and perhaps explains why we're so high up the table this season. This season, if I exclude Ryan Clarke (the Brizzle keeper who played once for us), and exclude players who have been on the bench rather than on the pitch, then the number of players who have appeared for us this season is:

Comapre that to previous years:

03-04: 27
02-03: 28
01-02: 26
00-01: 29

Ah, the benefits of a settled squad, eh...?!

biggrin.gif

I always thought that Jerome Bore stood for everything that was bad about the club at the time. Useless and uniterested yet still picking up about 3k a week. Atleast todays crop of players entertaining with the willingness to work up a sweat for there money.

I don't know how Whelan often seemed the better player than Marsh when they never actually played in the same side, to my knowledge anyway. Besides, Mike Marsh was absolutely superb in his first season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 17 2005,09:41)]Lee Hodges- f**king flash hogger with no end product. the fact that he plays for Thurrock proved I was right at the time which I take great pleasure in. I remember at the time we were trying to get him permo he said he had 'an offer from Cannes'. Ended up joining Sc**thorpe.
As much as I'd like to think you were right, he was quality for at least a couple of seasons in a division above us. Kind of vindicated his decision really.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ Jan. 17 2005,12:37)]I always thought that Jerome Bore stood for everything that was bad about the club at the time. Useless and uniterested yet still picking up about 3k a week. Atleast todays crop of players entertaining with the willingness to work up a sweat for there money.
Jeroen Boere was a talented player who had played for some of the giants of European football such as Go Ahead Eagles and West Ham United.

Oddly enough I quite liked him and he had a decent scoring record for us despite playing alongside utter pony and being suspended half the time..

You're right Mad Cyril.

'Big' Jeroen was a talented player with the world at his feet. In fact we were lucky to get him for only £150,000 because I know for a fact that only a year before AC Milan had a £10 million offer for Boere turned down. They apparently saw him as the next van Basten.

At the end of the day how can anyone slag off Boere? This guy was totally committed to SUFC. A really nice bloke as well by all accounts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 17 2005,14:36)]You're right Mad Cyril.

'Big' Jeroen was a talented player with the world at his feet. In fact we were lucky to get him for only £150,000 because I know for a fact that only a year before AC Milan had a £10 million offer for Boere turned down. They apparently saw him as the next van Basten.

At the end of the day how can anyone slag off Boere? This guy was totally committed to SUFC. A really nice bloke as well by all accounts.
WHOSE GOING TO BITE FIRST....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 17 2005,14:36)]You're right Mad Cyril.

Neva! He woz total cr@p!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 17 2005,14:36)]At the end of the day how can anyone slag off Boere? This guy was totally committed to SUFC.
I'm sorry, but that's total b******s.

He was low-Premier$hite quality, but was instead in Div 2, bagging £3,500 a week. For that money, I'd expect him to bust a gut for us.

Instead, he barely broke sweat, scored a pitiful number of goals for us (given his ability) and leeched wages off this club which drove us to the point of extinction.

OK, so the contract which that moron Whelan gave him was hardly Boere's fault. But there's no doubt that his wages contributed massively to the near-downfall of the club that we all love... and what did we get for that? 14 goals and an apparent devil-may-care attitude (or did I imagine that?) en route to relegation.

If that's you're idea of someone being "totally committed to the club", you're a very strange boy indeed.

If you want an example of someone who is "totally committed to SUFC", might I put forward Steve Tilson as a far better example...

rock.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Jan. 17 2005,16:45)]Wasn't Boere our top scorer one season?
Yes, with a "massive" 14 goals in the season following our relegation from Div 1 to Div 2.

And let's be under no illusions, people - it wasn't a strong Div 2 that season. Grimsby - who had been relegated from Div 1 with us the previous season, bounced straight back up to Div 1 via the play-offs at the first attempt.

Meanwhile, we sank, like a lead-encased ****, to the very foot of the division, embarking on a winless streak of (I think) 10 games... despite the fact that we still had in our squad the likes of:

Royce
N. Jones
Hails
Gridelet
Stimson
Andy Thomson
Rammell
Roget
Stimson
Richard Jobson
Byrne
Dublin
Gridelet
Simon Coleman

Let's be clear. I'm not blaming Boere for our relegation - that's entirely Alvin the Chipmunk's fault, not least because we used a staggering 31 players in our first team that season.

But I repeat what I've said before - in terms of the ratio of wages paid / talent possessed / end-product, I struggle to imagine who has been a bigger waste of space at this club, and one who appeared not to give a sh*t about us at the time, than Jeroen Boere.

Maybe I'm mad and I'm imagining it all... but it seems that there's at least a few people who agree with me (if not Mad Cyril - but then we've had to agree to disagree on this issue before).

sad.gif

Matt

Back