• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Most expensive ever XI

Hong Kong Blue

The multitude of posts all but calling for Tilson´s resignation as a result of his failure to break the club´s transfer record and sign Jevons/Hayter/Henry/Ronaldinho etc got me thinking: what is our most expensive XI .

GK: Paul Sansome (40,000)
RB: Gary Poole (350,000)
LB: Mark Stimson (25,000)
CB: Mike Lapper (150,000)
CB: Keith Dublin (100,000 plus Tommy Mooney)
CM: Mike Marsh (500,000)
CM: Keith Jones (175,000)
RW: Paul Byrne/Steven Clark (50,000)
LW: Ricky Otto (100,000)
CF: Andy Thomson (250,000)
CF: Andy Rammell (150,000 plus Dave Regis)

I´ve ignored sell on percentages, as these aren´t really a cost for the club, and straight player swaps.

A few of those positions eg GK, LB, RW look a little on the low side. How much did Jim Stannard cost? Is Shane Wardley really the only other left back we've paid money for since the 1980s and I´ve gone completely blank on who was playing left-back pre Paul Roberts/Justin Edinburgh.

Can anyone think of anyone more expensive not included?

Also what other GBP150,000plus signings have we made to sit on the subs bench? Can think of only Stan Collymore, Jason Lee and Jeroeon Boere.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Feb. 01 2006,21:40)]Didn't Stan cost £750,000 all told?
Something like that, but i´ve ignored sell ons.

The club only had to stump up 150,000 to sign him.

for the right wing, soccerbase rather depressingly suggests that we paid £100k for the legend that was Roger Willis... anyone confirm/deny? i thought he was involved in one of those strange swap deals we loved at the time- 35k and Declan Perkins for a pint, and so on.

I am sure that Jim Stannard cost £50,000 from Fulham.
Andy Sussex cost £100,000
Surely we've had a more expensive LB than Stimson?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (loz @ Feb. 02 2006,01:40)]for the right wing, soccerbase rather depressingly suggests that we paid £100k for the legend that was Roger Willis... anyone confirm/deny? i thought he was involved in one of those strange swap deals we loved at the time- 35k and Declan Perkins for a pint, and so on.
I'm pretty sure we signed Willis and Dave Regis in a straight swap with Birmingham, we gave them Hunt, Poole and A. N. Other who I can't remember - anyone enlighten? I liked Regis but this HAS to rank as the worst piece of business in Southend United history - Poole cost £350k so you'd expect to recoup a decent fee for him and Jonathan Hunt was one of our best players at the time and went on to score 20+ from midfield for Brum that next season!!!
mad.gif
And obviously I don't need to tell you all just how BAD Willis was......

Who was the other player in the deal? Was it Bodley?

And at today's prices, having seen them, what do you think they were really worth ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobM. @ Feb. 02 2006,12:41)]Derek Payne went as part of the deal I think, all 5'5" of him.
Nope Payne went to Watford with Mooney + £100k as part of the Dublin deal - what a HORRENDOUS transfer for Southend United
down.gif
mad.gif

I'm pretty sure that Hunt & Poole for Willis & Regis was a straight swap (not in terms of talent though, obviously). There was no third player involved from us. Although Jae Martin went up there shortly afterwards I believe.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Feb. 02 2006,19:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Feb. 02 2006,08:17)]Andy Sussex cost £100,000
Both were fair value for their money methinks
Really? I always thought that Sussex flattered to deceive... and bearing in mind we had spent £100-150K on Ooh Bretty Angell, Sussex (by comparison) always struck me as a bit of a disappointment... never produced the goods where it really mattered.

But then again, I suppose you are a rather strange individual who seems to think that a striker's worth should be measured in anything but his goals-to-games ratio...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 03 2006,11:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Feb. 02 2006,19:41)]
Andy Sussex cost £100,000

But then again, I suppose you are a rather strange individual who seems to think that a striker's worth should be measured in anything but  his goals-to-games ratio...

tounge.gif
Always thought he did a better job in centre midfield for us, and was a good utility player. Someone who could hold their own in the now championship for 100k cant be bad. And scored some cracking goals....

According to the RPI...

Dec '05 - 194.1
Dec '79 - 60.68

So the multiplier is c. 3.2. So you're not far off with that guess! According to my calculations, the £111,111 transfer fee in 1979 is worth £355,416 in today's money... which is quite a lot of cash!

smile.gif

Then again, has the football transfer market inflated at the same rate as the RPI? Who knows...

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 03 2006,14:27)]According to the RPI...

Dec '05 - 194.1
Dec '79 - 60.68

So the multiplier is c. 3.2.  So you're not far off with that guess!  According to my calculations, the £111,111 transfer fee in 1979 is worth £355,416 in today's money... which is quite a lot of cash!

smile.gif

Then again, has the football transfer market inflated at the same rate as the RPI?  Who knows...

Matt
Interesting idea, how many league 1/2 clubs were paying over 350k for players this season.

Trevor Francis was the first million pound footballer in 1979
Ferdinand cost 30 million
so that is a 30 fold increase making, Spence worth 3.3M

**Random post update**

GK: Jim Stannard (50,000)
RB: Gary Poole (350,000)
LB: Mark Stimson (25,000)
CB: Peter Clarke (300,000)
CB: Keith Dublin (100,000 plus Tommy Mooney)
CM: Mike Marsh (500,000)
CM: Keith Jones (175,000)
RW: Paul Byrne/Steven Clark (50,000)
LW: Richie Foran (150,000)
CF: Andy Thomson (250,000)
CF: Andy Rammell (150,000 plus Dave Regis)

Back