• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Moussa LW or CM?

Franck Moussa: Left winger? Midfield magic?

• Left Wing

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Centre Mid

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
On the basis of last season, I'd build my team around Moussa and Grant.

Grant provides the defensive base, Moussa provides the attacking quality. Put those in the middle and then fit the others around them. We'd then need a Bentley/Pettefer figure on one wing (maybe McCormack, like when he first joined on loan) and a more attacking winger with a touch more class on the other flank.

Moussa and Grant proved themselves not just against league one teams, but also against Chelsea, where they didn't look out of place. They both could play out wide, but you want your best players in the middle of the action and Grant is our best defensive player and Moussa our best attacking player.

The bottom line is, that we shouldnt be worrying about where to play him. He eithers plays CM or is on the bench competeing for the position. We should be getting in natural wide players. Tilson has a habit of playing square pegs in round holes. Yes moussa played well in that position but if we really want to survive next season we must play the right players in the right positions. Look at the teams that finished above us all had players playing in the right positions and in particular natural wide men.

The bottom line is, that we shouldnt be worrying about where to play him. He eithers plays CM or is on the bench competeing for the position. We should be getting in natural wide players. Tilson has a habit of playing square pegs in round holes. Yes moussa played well in that position but if we really want to survive next season we must play the right players in the right positions. Look at the teams that finished above us all had players playing in the right positions and in particular natural wide men.

but he isn't a peg, he's a bit like playdough... he'll evolve into the role he's asked to play as he's still young and learning

For me he is the best midfielder at the club in all positions, but as YB said you want your best players in the centre so it has to be there and imo the midfield should be built around him.

And don't forget he is still only 19.

On the basis of last season, I'd build my team around Moussa and Grant.

Grant provides the defensive base, Moussa provides the attacking quality. Put those in the middle and then fit the others around them. We'd then need a Bentley/Pettefer figure on one wing (maybe McCormack, like when he first joined on loan) and a more attacking winger with a touch more class on the other flank.

Moussa and Grant proved themselves not just against league one teams, but also against Chelsea, where they didn't look out of place. They both could play out wide, but you want your best players in the middle of the action and Grant is our best defensive player and Moussa our best attacking player.

sounds like a plan to me

I'd bring Moussa inside for the expense of Macca (who could maybe move to the right)

No. I'd rather see Macca in goal than on the wing. I like Moussa and he did a good job on the wing. Grant and Macca were good towards the end of last season and out of all our centre mids, Moussa's the only one I'd play on the wing. But we do need to sign another winger, Betsy and Scannell aren't good enough.

My answer: 4-3-3

We rarely get good production out of wide midfielders for some reason, whereas we've got players like Walker and Laurent who can work the channels effectively and might be difficult to accomodate otherwise.

Mildenhall

Francis
??
Barrett
??

McCormack
Grant
Moussa

Laurent
Barnard
Walker

That works for me, and hopefully even more so with a few decent signings.

My answer: 4-3-3

We rarely get good production out of wide midfielders for some reason, whereas we've got players like Walker and Laurent who can work the channels effectively and might be difficult to accomodate otherwise.

Mildenhall

Francis
??
Barrett
??

McCormack
Grant
Moussa

Laurent
Barnard
Walker

That works for me, and hopefully even more so with a few decent signings.

I've never seen 451/433 work for Southend, or most teams to be honest. Chelsea, 90's Brazil and Barca are the exceptions that I can think of. It requires a whole different way of thinking when playing football.

No. I'd rather see Macca in goal than on the wing. I like Moussa and he did a good job on the wing. Grant and Macca were good towards the end of last season and out of all our centre mids, Moussa's the only one I'd play on the wing. But we do need to sign another winger, Betsy and Scannell aren't good enough.

but when he's played on the wing he's been effective (when Bailey took his place, and when he first came on loan). The problem with Macca is that with either Grant or Christophe alongside him he hasn't been able to play a more creative, attacking role. Macca is almost traditional box-to-box midfielder whole break down play at one end and make a run into the box at the other... it's the play in the middle that often breaks down because his passing and creativity isn't quite as sharp. if it was he'd be in the CCC.

I've never seen 451/433 work for Southend, or most teams to be honest. Chelsea, 90's Brazil and Barca are the exceptions that I can think of. It requires a whole different way of thinking when playing football.

During the Championship season I thought that we played a lot of our best football after switching to 4-3-3, though in the context of that season it might not be saying much. Norwich at home stands out in my mind as an occasion on which a change of shape brought about a change in the game. Swansea also spring to mind as a side who employed 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 to great effect in League One.

I struggle to think of many wingers who've done well for us in recent times. Gower possibly, though I would argue that he did a lot of his best work coming infield. Other than that, even a quality player like JCR struggled. I just don't think that we move the ball around quickly enough to find players in space out wide on any regular basis. With the players currently at our disposal my personal inclination would be to at least look at whether a change of system might work.

During the Championship season I thought that we played a lot of our best football after switching to 4-3-3, though in the context of that season it might not be saying much. Norwich at home stands out in my mind as an occasion on which a change of shape brought about a change in the game. Swansea also spring to mind as a side who employed 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 to great effect in League One.

I struggle to think of many wingers who've done well for us in recent times. Gower possibly, though I would argue that he did a lot of his best work coming infield. Other than that, even a quality player like JCR struggled. I just don't think that we move the ball around quickly enough to find players in space out wide on any regular basis. With the players currently at our disposal my personal inclination would be to at least look at whether a change of system might work.

I think that you're right that in game it's definitely a tactic that can be used... however I personally think that having a formation and tactic and finding players to fit that would be easier than changing the tactic and requiring existing and new players to adapt to it. I thought we often did a good job of getting the ball to JCR in space, and it was his decision making that was his weakness.

It'll be interesting to see what Tilly does in the pre-season games, with the players we've got you can see them fitting into a 433 as you say... so at least in non-competitive games it's worth a tinker!

Tilly seems quite locked into 4-4-2 so I can't really see the 4-3-3 happening. His stated intention is to look for a CB & LB as his priority. This would suggest he's not happy with relying on Johnny Herd as LB. If we do get a new LB, I can see JH doing a good job at LM as he runs well with the ball and he can cross with his left foot, unlike anyone else in the squad. I'd like to see The Moose get more opportunities in the centre of MF, but cannot see Tilly starting too many games with him and JH in the same line-up, unless we are up it with injuries, suspensions etc. I fear that if we don't get a LB, then we will be vulnerable on that side. We got away with it at the end of last season with Adam covering there but if the two youngsters are played at LB and LM, then what bets that's where the goals conceded will emanate from?

Well as we don't have any natural wingers i think you have to work with what you have got so i would go with a 4-3-2-1: Our 2 most creative players are Moussa and Freedman so i would like to see how this works maybe in a friendly.

Mildenhall

Francis/Sankofa A.n. Other Barrett Herd / A n Other

Grant McCormack JFC

Freedman Moussa

Barnard

Can always revert to 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 when defending as well.

We have an embarrsement of riches in the centre of midfield with Macca,Granty, JFC and maybe in my dreams Lee Sawyer. In comparrison we just have an embarrasment on the wing in Scannell.

I think Moussa did well at left wing and whilst he is no Marky Gower (Thanks a ****ign bunch Fasto) I think he is the best/only option that we have.

Well as we don't have any natural wingers i think you have to work with what you have got so i would go with a 4-3-2-1: Our 2 most creative players are Moussa and Freedman so i would like to see how this works maybe in a friendly.

Mildenhall

Francis/Sankofa A.n. Other Barrett Herd / A n Other

Grant McCormack JFC

Freedman Moussa

Barnard

Can always revert to 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 when defending as well.

Without wanting to **** on your chips we would be so narrow it would be untrue plus Freedman and Barney would olny be fit about half the games and you dont really have anyone to fill in for Dougie if he is absent.

Central midfield. Reason? None of our other central midfielders can find a blue shirt that isn't less than 3 yards away and therefore it would be nice if we actually had someone in the middle who could play a pass.

We have an embarrsement of riches in the centre of midfield with Macca,Granty, JFC and maybe in my dreams Lee Sawyer. In comparrison we just have an embarrasment on the wing in Scannell.

I think Moussa did well at left wing and whilst he is no Marky Gower (Thanks a ****ign bunch Fasto) I think he is the best/only option that we have.

Surely the embarrassment of riches was 2 years ago. Whilst we have sufficient numbers of central midfielders, there is a glaring lack of quality especially with regard to passing. We really struggled to break down packed defences last season, Crewe/Yeovil spring to mind.
Of course we need a new winger too but I feel that Moussa is the best of the 4 so should take priority and play in his favoured position. Macca could do a job out wide if need be.

Surely the embarrassment of riches was 2 years ago. Whilst we have sufficient numbers of central midfielders, there is a glaring lack of quality especially with regard to passing. We really struggled to break down packed defences last season, Crewe/Yeovil spring to mind.
Of course we need a new winger too but I feel that Moussa is the best of the 4 so should take priority and play in his favoured position. Macca could do a job out wide if need be.

I really dont think Macca could do a job out wide but have to respect your opinion as know you talk sense.

I personally think Macca is a fairly creative player and if you have decent wingers you dont need to rely so much on a creative midfielder as the ingers can create.

Sadly we have **** wingers....

I really dont think Macca could do a job out wide but have to respect your opinion as know you talk sense.

I personally think Macca is a fairly creative player and if you have decent wingers you dont need to rely so much on a creative midfielder as the ingers can create.

Sadly we have **** wingers....

Agree Dave, though when he was asked to play wide before he did do ok. For me, it's about being consistent and trying to keep a nucleus together rather than chopping and changing - I think Macca works better with Jeff in the middle than he does with either of the other two, both of whom can play wide.

Back