• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Naming the Stadium

Javea Shrimper

(I've already posted this on another forum but I feel it warrants its own thread!)

I feel the new stadium should be called the "Broomfield Stadium" in honour of Sidney Broomfield, the man who was instrumental in the construction of Roots Hall; this man laid every single concrete step of the old South Bank (which once held over 13,000 spectators) by hand over a FIVE year period - there were 72 steps!

"Some days", Sid recalled, "we would arrive at the ground to discover that heavy overnight rain had swept mud from the top of the banking over the steps we had completed ... it was a real slog".

The man is a legend. He had his own testimonial a few years back. So I'm all for a campaign to name the new stadium is his honour ...

WS

Agreed Mike, certainly be a good way of bring a real piece of RH to a new stadium.

Id like to see the main stand named after Frank Walton.

The Broomfield Stadium sounds like a great idea and would be in keeping with the traditions of the club.

I mentioned in another thread, naming the main stand, the Fredy Eastwood stand... but I was only "joshing"! what I really meant was the "Go ahead, make my day"! stand.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Nov. 10 2004,08:06)]The Southend Astrodome
You are joking? Not really English now, is it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Nov. 10 2004,09:01)]I have a feeling that the 'Martin Dawn PLC Stadium' will be a success
or even the Ron Martin Stadium
tounge.gif

but if we are going for nostalgia what about the New Kursal Stadium.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HUMBLEPIE @ Nov. 10 2004,09:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Nov. 10 2004,09:01)]I have a feeling that the 'Martin Dawn PLC Stadium' will be a success
or even the Ron Martin Stadium
tounge.gif

but if we are going for nostalgia what about the New Kursal Stadium.....
Why? Kursal wasn't the club's first ground... it was Roots Hall.

I back the call for the 'Broomfield Stadium'... but I doubt it would happen.

Rename the club "Southend Sabretooths" call the stadium "The Soccer Sabre Dome"

Comprising of :

"The Ricky Otto security stand"
"The Mike Marsh insurance claims stand"
"The Garry Poole value for money stand"
and "The Gordon Connelly honourary main stand" housing "The Stan Colleymore women only enclousure", "The Gary Glitter family enclousure" and "The Ronnie Whelan all you can eat and drink before playing for £10 Irish bar and restaurant"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GNH @ Nov. 10 2004,11:13)]Rename the club "Southend Sabretooths" call the stadium "The Soccer Sabre Dome"

Comprising of :

"The Ricky Otto security stand"
"The Mike Marsh insurance claims stand"
"The Garry Poole value for money stand"
and "The Gordon Connelly honourary main stand" housing "The Stan Colleymore women only enclousure", "The Gary Glitter family enclousure" and "The Ronnie Whelan all you can eat and drink before playing for £10 Irish bar and restaurant"
The Graeme Bressington cigarette vending machine. The Paul Byrne bookmakers. The Gary Hone beauty parlour. The Ricky Otto creche (allegedly).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Nov. 09 2004,20:31)](I've already posted this on another forum but I feel it warrants its own thread!)

I feel the new stadium should be called the "Broomfield Stadium" in honour of Sidney Broomfield, the man who was instrumental in the construction of Roots Hall; this man laid every single concrete step of the old South Bank (which once held over 13,000 spectators) by hand over a FIVE year period - there were 72 steps!

"Some days", Sid recalled, "we would arrive at the ground to discover that heavy overnight rain had swept mud from the top of the banking over the steps we had completed ... it was a real slog".

The man is a legend. He had his own testimonial a few years back. So I'm all for a campaign to name the new stadium is his honour ...

WS
The way its going we will probably building it ourselves as well

[b said:
Quote[/b] (one flew over the cockles nest @ Nov. 10 2004,13:03)]The way its going we will probably building it ourselves as well
Hhhhmmm... not bad... THE SHRIMPERZONE COMMUNITY STADIUM!

rock.gif

So we'd then name the stands after the current and former SZ owners:

The Napster Name Dropping Stand
The Scriv Inside Man Stand
The Leeboy (can't think of anything) Stand
The Med Wading Part Time Supporter Stand

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 10 2004,13:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (one flew over the cockles nest @ Nov. 10 2004,13:03)]The way its going we will probably building it ourselves as well
Hhhhmmm... not bad... THE SHRIMPERZONE COMMUNITY STADIUM!

rock.gif

So we'd then name the stands after the current and former SZ owners:

The Napster Name Dropping Stand
The Scriv Inside Man Stand
The Leeboy (can't think of anything) Stand
The Med Wading Part Time Supporter Stand

smile.gif
The latter will undoubtedly be decked out with sun-loungers, a cocktail bar and li-lo's. To reserve your seat just place a towel on it 6 hours before you intend to use it...
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

I really don't see what would be wrong with "The Fossets Stadium", it has a nice ring to it. I'd back the "Broomfield Stadium" though.

"Broomfield" or "Broomfield Stadium" for me.

Stands named after Trevor Roberts and Bob Jack. Definitely have a North Bank too.

Back