• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

National League 2020/21 - who goes up, are we bothered?

Not strictly relevant but interesting in terms of a system which decides promotion and relegation. My French side, Toulouse (tfc), annoyingly missed out on automatic promotion back into League One of french football. They now face an interesting passage in order to go up through the play-offs. As they finished third (the first two are automatically promoted), they wait until Tuesday night to see who will win in a game involving fourth and fifth places. They will meet the victors in Toulouse on Friday night. The winners of that game will then have a two-legged tie against the League One team who finished just above the two automatically relegated sides, to see whether the remain where they are or get promoted. Is there a similar system in Scottish football?
Yes,more or less the same in Scotland.
These set-ups are in one way definitely a lot fairer:— two games between the team facing relegation and the “next best “promotion hopefuls, give a reasonably valid comparison of standards,but I’m not sure we’d have beaten Hartlepool,Wrexham or whoever,anyway.

Yes,more or less the same in Scotland.
These set-ups are in one way definitely a lot fairer:— two games between the team facing relegation and the “next best “promotion hopefuls, give a reasonably valid comparison of standards,but I’m not sure we’d have beaten Hartlepool,Wrexham or whoever,anyway.
It used to happen that way in the first few seasons with play-offs.

I'm surprised the football league are still so opposed to those pitches, excellent source of income for some clubs and less postponements in the winter months, surely a godsend in L1/L2 where pitches are not exactly up to the level of Emirates or Wembley in December.

The technology has advanced massively from when QPR and Luton had them in the 80s.

It was noticable how much better the pitch was in the FA Cup than the ones we were playing on week in week out in L2.

Hope that TQ stay down as that will be my nearest game next season and it's a good day out for me and Grumpy Blue, particularly with our pre-match routine, i.e. a pint at the Railway next to Newton Abbott station between trains and several at The Hole In The Wall before getting the cab up that steep hill to Plainmoor.
Torquay would be my nearest ground as well

Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney will likely pump money into Wrexham next year, could probably do with them going up.

Three more games to go for most with automatic promotion seemingly just between Sutton and Torquay. Personally I'd prefer Sutton to go up as Torquay is almost a 'local hop' for me, plus it will bring back fond memories of our 80/81 promotion win down there, and Torquay ain't a bad place for a footie weekender either.

As for the play-off position you can perm any one from Sutton and Torquay plus Stockport, Hartlepool, Notts County, Chesterfield, Halifax, Bromley, Wrexham, and even Eastleigh (who have two games in hand). Personally I'd be happy for either Stockport or Hartlepool to join Sutton in the EFL, both are northern outposts which have been to before

But we'll all have our own preferences for different reasons ..............
I can walk to Sutton. For them to be in the league above us would rub salt into so many wounds.

If Sutton go up, they'll have to rip up their 3G pitch, which is also one of their main income sources due to being able to hire it out all year round.

Are there many other clubs in the National League with artificial turf?
When Sutton looked like being promoted (year before last?) they were debating opting not to be promoted as much of their income is from letting out their pitch. I understand their finances are in a better place this time round so they would go up and rip up the pitch and make changes to the stands and turnstiles to fit league regulations.

I go on quality of away day, so Sutton and Hartlepool to go up for me. Sutton is a crap away day and Hartlepool is ok by the marina but nothing else.
I've also been to Sutton twice and Hartlepool three times, yeah I don't know why I've been to Hartlepool three times either, including a Tuesday night!

I go on quality of away day, so Sutton and Hartlepool to go up for me. Sutton is a crap away day and Hartlepool is ok by the marina but nothing else.
I've also been to Sutton twice and Hartlepool three times, yeah I don't know why I've been to Hartlepool three times either, including a Tuesday night!
Same goes for me. Would always rather having to make a jaunt down to Devon or the north east over dog dirt ridden parks that are within an hour and a bits travel.

Still don't care.

Can't even begin to think about playing NON league football week in and week out ?

Just looking at league two for next season orient have only to localish games Sutton and colu
We may be non league at least we should have a better time going away well for one season then we will be ****ed off going to these ****e ground s

Back