• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Really hope he does a good job and gets it full time. Can't stand Millwall but I like Neil Harris a nice guy and a shrimper too. Wish him the best of luck.

What's that? Another inexperienced white ex-pro walking into a top job?

9 points adrift, big ask. I guess this move was done to soften the blow of a club legend going down with the ship.

Why would you bring up the fact he is white?

Because in a multi-cultural sport there are only 3 black managers out of 92. Many black coaches and ex-professionals have publicly highlighted that there are barriers to becoming a manager when you're non-white.

Neil Harris is yet another example of it being relatively easy for someone of a particular 'type' being able to get a top job.

Because in a multi-cultural sport there are only 3 black managers out of 92. Many black coaches and ex-professionals have publicly highlighted that there are barriers to becoming a manager when you're non-white.

Neil Harris is yet another example of it being relatively easy for someone of a particular 'type' being able to get a top job.

But the difference is Neil Harris is a legend of Millwall their highest goal scorer. If their legend and highest goal scorer ever was Carlton Palmer then I'm sure he would have had the Millwall job at some point.

If it was a random club he had no connection to I could see your argument. With Neil Harris getting this job it makes total sense!

But the difference is Neil Harris is a legend of Millwall their highest goal scorer. If their legend and highest goal scorer ever was Carlton Palmer then I'm sure he would have had the Millwall job at some point.

If it was a random club he had no connection to I could see your argument. With Neil Harris getting this job it makes total sense!

People use things like 'he's a club legend' to justify why relatively inexperienced (white ex-pro) get a foothold on the managerial ladder. Non-white-male people aren't getting these opportunities, and therefore non-white managers aren't coming through. If they can't get a gig as a first team coach, or a caretaker manager, then understandably they're not going to get a chance to be a permanent manager.

This is Harris' second attempt after a pretty disastrous first outing.

People use things like 'he's a club legend' to justify why relatively inexperienced (white ex-pro) get a foothold on the managerial ladder. Non-white-male people aren't getting these opportunities, and therefore non-white managers aren't coming through. If they can't get a gig as a first team coach, or a caretaker manager, then understandably they're not going to get a chance to be a permanent manager.

This is Harris' second attempt after a pretty disastrous first outing.

It's not justifying it, it's the truth. When someone who is classed as a legend on the terraces of a club gets made manager/caretaker manager then it attracts the crowd. Just like it will when Henry gets made manager of Arsenal when Wenger leaves you know the inexperienced non-white male walking into a job. Have you ever thought that maybe these non white males don't want the jobs?

Bit harsh on Harris because they were already a sinking ship and when Lomas came in he didn't exactly do much better!

It's not justifying it, it's the truth. When someone who is classed as a legend on the terraces of a club gets made manager/caretaker manager then it attracts the crowd. Just like it will when Henry gets made manager of Arsenal when Wenger leaves you know the inexperienced non-white male walking into a job. Have you ever thought that maybe these non white males don't want the jobs?

Bit harsh on Harris because they were already a sinking ship and when Lomas came in he didn't exactly do much better!

LOL

"Bradbury, a lecturer in young people and sport at Loughborough University, interviewed dozens of current and former players for his report and found that black footballers are especially disinclined to think of coaching as a potential option for when their career winds down. One, whom he prefers not to name, is a 40-something ex-pro who played more than 500 matches at Premier League and Championship level and now holds a Uefa Pro Licence, the highest coaching qualification. He has applied for 43 jobs in football clubs, but only received three interviews.

“He’s absolutely despondent,” says Bradbury. “When he was a younger man and it was becoming apparent he wanted to go into coaching, some of the older black guys said to him: ‘You’re wasting your time, you won’t get an opportunity.’ And he was saying to these guys: ‘No, no, it’s different now.’ But now he’s in the same position and he was saying to me the other day: ‘I hate to say it, but they were right. I was naive. I didn’t think these barriers existed or were as strong as they are.’ The worst thing is when people are appointed to jobs with fewer qualifications and less experience than him and he’s not even granted an interview.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/14/why-so-few-black-football-managers
The Brian Deane story is interesting (and really frustrating) too.

It's not harsh oh Harris. Millwall were an utter shambles when we turned them over. It was a team 2 divisions below.

LOL

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/14/why-so-few-black-football-managers

It's not harsh oh Harris. Millwall were an utter shambles when we turned them over. It was a team 2 divisions below.

Bradford turned over Chelsea does that mean they are an utter shambles?

Maybe that pro didn't fit the bill of those jobs or have the right attitude. It's all good having the highest coaching qualification but is he the right man for the job? We can't tell as he doesn't name who it was.

Bradford turned over Chelsea does that mean they are an utter shambles?

Maybe that pro didn't fit the bill of those jobs or have the right attitude. It's all good having the highest coaching qualification but is he the right man for the job? We can't tell as he doesn't name who it was.

He wasn't even getting interviewed.

Harris will be able to go down with Millwall with considerably less fuss as he is a Millwall legend .

The Chairman has thrown in the towel for this season but Harris on board may placate the fans a bit.

And if he manages to keep them up its a masterstroke

Personally don't understand the sacking, Millwall are down. Holloway has a year left so the chairman's had to pay him around 1 mil in fees why not make him earn that money in league 1 next year?

That's interesting, as there are only 50 or 60 people with the UEFA Pro Licence, only a limited of number of which can have amassed 500 career apps with some of them having been in the Premier League. By my reckoning, the only person that might be is Terry Connor.

Back