• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

rabbloke

Coach
If as SUFC are proposing, a new stadium is on the way, how will a development company such as our landlords are, justify if as sound business.
rock.gif
No doubt the current Roots Hall stadium will realise a very tidy return in terms of being sold as prime development land, even though its existing infrastructure, road access, is fraught with complications, not least the fact that it is surrounded by single carriageway roads with no available space to improve it. Yet at the site where the proposed stadium is going a new superstore has already been given planning permission. This would undoubtedly allow for a landslide of other applications from the mega-corporate fat boys to establish a new, out of town retail park. That would make more financial sense than giving up the ground for a football team that with all the will in the world will never proffer the same level of return. Are our benefactors such ardent supporters or are we all being lulled into a false sense of security, to be dashed by the new DAWN?

There are many on this board far better qualified than I am to answer this but FWIW, my view is that had they just wanted to cash in, we would already be history - and they have just written off megabucks in rent. There has to be something in it for them, or we wouldn't have got even this far

I accept that we may already have been history, but if we had would the town, the council and planning been looking so favourably at them? Is their generous behaviour a smoke screen in order to attain phase two, the new site development? As for rent, how much have they really waved. If they had set the rent at a realistic level there would have been no debt to erase. Indeed, as their coffers are going to swell with the redevelopment of Roots Hall, why did they not allow the club to remain there rent free. They certainly are not interested in the paltry sums of rent the club can generate. Their interest is long time and far higher. Do not get me wrong. I am praying that their intentions are truly honourable, but when have you known sentiment and business to mix?

A covenant attached to the Roots Hall site which, IIRC, is supposed to ensure that the ground will never be re-developed unless Southend United FC are provided with an alternative playing site within the Borough. This sounds great ... but what if the club ceases to exist? Tear up that covenant ...

WS

Not wishing to sound increasingly cynical but a covenant made in the 1950's is a poor defence against the mega-buck modern day corporate lawyers.
Is there any chance our new stadium proposal will be accepted? Southend town council and planning have not appeared to go out of their way to assist proposals. Other clubs have new stadia or planning and their councils have worked hand in hand with the club recognising it as an integral part of their town. Not likely in Southend.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Aug. 14 2004,10:24)]Not wishing to sound increasingly cynical but a covenant made in the 1950's is a poor defence against the mega-buck modern day corporate lawyers.
Which is why I suggested that if the club ceased to exist ... ?

WS

cease to exist? They can do whatever they want but there will always be a blues. Might be jumpers for goal posts over Priory park, but we will live on.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Aug. 14 2004,14:34)]cease to exist? They can do whatever they want but there will always be a blues. Might be jumpers for goal posts over Priory park, but we will live on.
As AFC Southend perhaps but not Southend United (Ltd)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Aug. 14 2004,15:34)]cease to exist? They can do whatever they want but there will always be a blues. Might be jumpers for goal posts over Priory park, but we will live on.
Of course the Shrimpers will continue to exist in one form or another. We just have to get over the next few years, celebrate our centenary, then I'll be a lot more confident of the club's survival ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Aug. 14 2004,09:24)]Not wishing to sound increasingly cynical but a covenant made in the 1950's is a poor defence against the mega-buck modern day corporate lawyers.
The covenant was altered recently wasn't it? When the Bank of Ireland came in?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Aug. 16 2004,10:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Aug. 14 2004,09:24)]Not wishing to sound increasingly cynical but a covenant made in the 1950's is a poor defence against the mega-buck modern day corporate lawyers.
The covenant was altered recently wasn't it? When the Bank of Ireland came in?
Have you any further information?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Aug. 14 2004,18:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Aug. 14 2004,14:34)]cease to exist? They can do whatever they want but there will always be a blues. Might be jumpers for goal posts over Priory park, but we will live on.
As AFC Southend perhaps but not Southend United (Ltd)
Or as Shrimperzone FC!

I think you'll find that the B&Q development, the new Southend Hospital annexe (also to be built on Fossetts Farm) and the Stadium development are all very closely linked.
The new hospital annexe has already been given the go ahead. The B&Q plan needed to be given the go ahead before the plans for the stadium could be submitted as there's some sort of deal between the current land owners and SEL about the land on which the stadium is to be built. Without the go ahead for B&Q, the deal wouldn't take effect.
The council (I believe) are involved in all aspects of this and are also in favour of a new stadium for SUFC. I doubt they'd have given the go ahead for B&Q without the provision for a new stadium.

All of the above is my understanding of the current situation. Plans should be submitted by the end of this year. If they aren't, I'll be first in the queue to find out why!

when/if this goes through it is the end of the the spread and that other boozer next to it then?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hockley_Hobbit @ Aug. 18 2004,15:22)]Plans should be submitted by the end of this year.  If they aren't, I'll be first in the queue to find out why!
4th May 2004 : Official Site

"Martin also confirmed that the plans for the stadium would be submitted in the summer ... "

We just don't know which summer he means!

WS

wink.gif

I'd be inclined to say that the wheels will need to be oiled at frequent intervals or the new stadium could seem like a long time coming...

but IF, [as Ron would have us believe!] the stadium is to be ready for the club's centenary season of 2006/07, the foundations would need to be in place for building by about January or latest February 2005 if the 18 month build time is realistic... that would mean that the plans would need to be submitted [I am guessing the lead-time!] for approval by say October 2004!

I would be very surprised if the club didn't already have some early drawings roughly based on the original plans from 2000! but that is purely speculation on my part and I guess the club will announce something when they are ready...

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 18 2004,18:49)]I would be very surprised if the club didn't already have some early drawings roughly based on the original plans from 2000! but that is purely speculation on my part and I guess the club will announce something when they are ready...
4th May 2004 : Official Site

Martin ... confirmed ... [the plans] would differ from the original development proposal submitted to the council four years ago. “It will be similar in size but the architecture will be different,” he said. "We have moved on since 2000, both in the market and in the layout of Fossetts Farm, and we have to recognise that.”

WS

Just out of interest JS, was this the last press release from the club relating to Fossett's Farm? I vaguely remember something at the "end" of May... but cannot recall what? [it's the age getting to me!
sad.gif
]

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 18 2004,19:10)]Just out of interest JS, was this the last press release from the club relating to Fossett's Farm? I vaguely remember something at the "end" of May... but cannot recall what? [it's the age getting to me!  
sad.gif
 ]
Yep, 4th May was the last time any FF-related news was issued :

RON MARTIN claimed that it was “all-systems go” for the development of a new stadium at Fossetts Farm following the positive outcome of the B&Q public inquiry. Martin admitted he was delighted at the decision and hinted that it has helped secure a better future for Southend United. “It’s very positive for the club and for the town of Southend, and we‘re delighted,” he told the official site. “It’s a massive boost for us and I feel that the new stadium complex will bring further success to Southend United.” Martin also confirmed that the plans for the stadium would be submitted in the summer and that they would differ from the original development proposal submitted to the council four years ago. “It will be similar in size but the architecture will be different,” he said” We have moved on since 2000, both in the market and in the layout of Fossetts Farm, and we have to recognise that.” He admitted that the Southend United had no future at Roots Hall and that only a new stadium will allow the club to realise its potential. “We want to get Southend United out of the Third Division and back into the First as soon as possible”, he enthused. “Roots Hall is a tired old stadium that needs lots of maintenance and doesn’t have the facilities to satisfy the needs of the supporters.” But Martin did admit that there may be some short-term investment in the ground. “Now that the club has a future, we will be investing to improve the catering and toilet facilities.”

It's the middle of August. Summer ends around September 21 so there's not a great deal of time for that elusive submission.

WS

Back