• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
We seem to be running out of options, so what do you think is going to happen?

Goater must still be a possibility - although according to The Sun, he was on £8000 a week at Reading so he will need to take a hefty salary cut - although as that's now paid up, he may be able to afford to do so:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] From "The Sun"

SHAUN GOATER revealed his bitter contract row at Reading left him on the brink of quitting football.

Striker Goater, 35, is finally free to join a new club after Royals paid up the final year of his £8,000-a-week contract.

Reading refused to play Goater from December as they would have owed his previous club Manchester City £50,000 if he made one more appearance.

He said: “I was pretty certain I was going to pack it in. I was really low.

“But I went on loan to Coventry in April and got motivation back. I know I’ve still got a lot to offer.”

Royal Gazette - Bermuda

Dyer is on trial at Stoke City and scored in their defeat with Stockport the other night, but he must still be a possibility

The Neil Harris story has gone very quiet recently, although I still feel he fits the Tilly-mould more than either Dyer or Goater.

The big lad, Darius Henderson, from Gillingham scored the other night and has been given the number 9 shirt for the season so I can't see us getting him.

The other possibility is Grant Holt, but that story has gone quiet since he signed a new contract.

I suppose the final scenario is the cheaper option of re-signing Dudfield and a younger player like Oli and then, if things don't work out, have another look in the January transfer window.

What about Tes?
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, we've had stories every single week about how various sources have said we'll sign blah blah blah by the end of this week and that.

Unless we have an injury we'll probably start the season with those we have now, maybe a loan signing later on.

Frankly, it's worrying to hear people say we'll start with what we've got, becasue we only have two strikers. Whilst I don't advocate buying players for the sake of it, we really do need to sign someone before the transfer window, or we'll be shockingly short of cover. If Freddy gets injured and we haven't got adequate backup, we're completely screwed.

There is no logic to the Goater scenario. Reading would not play him so they could avoid paying Man City £50k, but pay up his contract for £400k. Beats my logic, they obviously could not sell him.

All the others Henderson, Ferdinand, Harris et al either all seem to either paper talk or the products of febrile imaginations.

We do need 3 or 4 more in - two up front and at least one more in defence. I think we have 17 full time pros, of which 16 can be selected for games. An injury or suspension then you are down to the bare bones. If this happens and we go into the season with this staff then January maybe to late for us.

So we really do need to get some more players in before the end of August. It looks like Tilly will not be rushed into panic buys and is happy to be patient and get the people he wants. On that basis we should support him although it is frustrating when you note the activity of other clubs in the market.

I agree , we dont want to buy a player just for the sake of it. Lets be patient (I know its frustrating and there is not long left) but long term its better to get the right man

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scamps @ July 28 2005,12:06)]Ipswich have said they are not intrested in Goater, after being linked with him. Sky sports news.
Along with us and Gillingham according to Clubcall.

Why? You don't know he would've got injured if he''d signed for us.

And yes, we need someone soon. Gray has been poor in pre-season so we need a good parnter for Freddy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lucus @ July 28 2005,12:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (scamps @ July 28 2005,12:06)]Ipswich have said they are not intrested in Goater, after being linked with him. Sky sports news.
Along with us and Gillingham according to Clubcall.
Sorry, I misread your post scamps. Let me re-phrase. Southend and Gillingham have been linked with Goater according to Club call.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ July 28 2005,12:08)]Why? You don't know he would've got injured if he''d signed for us.

And yes, we need someone soon. Gray has been poor in pre-season so we need a good parnter for Freddy.
You misunderstood me.

If we had signed him, he had got injured, we would have been gutted.

I believe they signed him on loan with a view to a permanent move? Can Oldham now send him back if they want? they wouldn't want to pay his wages whilst he's injured i guess.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stickyboy @ July 28 2005,11:45)]I agree , we dont want to buy a player just for the sake of it. Lets be patient (I know its frustrating and there is not long left) but long term its better to get the right man
But we're now at the stage of needing to sign anybody just to boost squad numbers. Even with the loan system it is unrealistic to expect us to make it through to January with only two recognised strikers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MarkBentleyAppreciationSociety @ July 28 2005,12:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ July 28 2005,12:08)]Why? You don't know he would've got injured if he''d signed for us.

You misunderstood me.

If we had signed him, he had got injured, we would have been gutted.

I believe they signed him on loan with a view to a permanent move? Can Oldham now send him back if they want? they wouldn't want to pay his wages whilst he's injured i guess.
Most loan moves indicate that it is cancelled if a serious injury occurs. For example Forssell went bect to Chelseas last season when he got injured, even though he was on a season long loan to Birmingham.

Birmingham had to ask Chelsea to take him back though. If it were any other club they probably wouldn't have done, but of course Chelsea don't care how large their wage bil is.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 28 2005,14:27)]Birmingham had to ask Chelsea to take him back though. If it were any other club they probably wouldn't have done, but of course Chelsea don't care how large their wage bil is.
Norwich had the same when David Bentley got injured towards the end of the season, and I believe Arsenal said Norwich had to keep him until then end of his loan.

Where is Lawrie now then who is he training with? Its all gone very quiet recently. He would be a briliant 3/4th choice striker to have and he knows the team already and how we play!

i wouldnt be surprised to see dudfield back esp as the season starts next week and we are short of strikers

the club as far as we know havent taken back his contract offer like nicolau's

i'd rather the club sign him than say Ibe, after all he couldnt get in the yeovil side, dud's had an frustrating year last year but he's as good as gray and the league 1 football style, played on the deck will suit him more than the hoof merchants of div 3

[b said:
Quote[/b] (statski77 @ July 29 2005,08:43)]i'd rather the club sign him than say Ibe
That's exactly what I said when "you rang" last night - Ibe is NOT the kind of player we should be looking to bring in. Good on Tilly for the standard of striker targets he has been chasing, sooner or later (preferably sooner) we'll get one - but we can't afford to be taking on average at best players for a campaign in L1, particularly after having seen Ibe play for Yeovil last season.

1) Dudfield won't be playing for us again (from Tillys own mouth at the "Meet the Blues" Day)
2) Goater is a possibilty - watch this space.
3) Grays won't sell Oli.

Back