• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Lets be honest here. Steve Tilson is southend through and through and what has achived at this club has been nothing short of miraculous. What worries me most is that given money to spend he has spent it on players that have by and large done nothing for the football club and worse in the case of paynter are out on loan scoring goals for other teams. The loses of jupp bentley gray and i feel most importantly the goat were a major part on early season slump. We never replaced these key players and what we brought were less effective and overpriced. Tilly has shown naivity on more than a few occassions this year and it has cost us dearly. It is down to the manager to find the right players , attract them to thew club and play them in there best postion to make a positive impact. That has not happened this year. I honestly beleive now that we will be down in league one next year. Next year will be the year when tilly will become a long term manager or another who had a couple of years and didnt do much else. If he doesnt get atleast play-offs next year i can see him being replaced.

Lets be honest here. Steve Tilson is southend through and through and what has achived at this club has been nothing short of miraculous. What worries me most is that given money to spend he has spent it on players that have by and large done nothing for the football club and worse in the case of paynter are out on loan scoring goals for other teams. The loses of jupp bentley gray and i feel most importantly the goat were a major part on early season slump. We never replaced these key players and what we brought were less effective and overpriced. Tilly has shown naivity on more than a few occassions this year and it has cost us dearly. It is down to the manager to find the right players , attract them to thew club and play them in there best postion to make a positive impact. That has not happened this year. I honestly beleive now that we will be down in league one next year. Next year will be the year when tilly will become a long term manager or another who had a couple of years and didnt do much else. If he doesnt get atleast play-offs next year i can see him being replaced.

The expectation from most fans is 'we will come straight back up' - which never really works out. Look at Brighton, Millwall etc...

this summer it's all about how he works in the transfer market, and then how quickly we can get back to winning ways next season (whether in the champ or league 1)

if we don't sign some real quality during the summer i can see us struggling in league 1. if none of your players can score then you struggle. simple as. (this saying if we go down)

Totally agree! Well put!!

Another thing I can't understand is him signing on Adeamo and Moussa and not giving them the chances. We are really struggling for options at the moment, why not give the kids wanting to prove themselves a chance! Harrold certainly can't do it, Hooper was never given a proper chance.

Paynter I think after his loan spell I recon he might have a slight bit of confidence to do it. But the question is will he be given the chance or will Tilly let him go for half the price we paid or as per usual FREE!!

Guttridge aswell what a revelation he was last season why get rid of him!

I love Tilly to bits for the last few seasons but now we are in with the big boys he has just crumbled! He really needs to sort it out in the last 3 games if he wants us to stay up! Motivate the team get the right set up and then IF we do stay up get some DECENT players in.

Totally agree! Well put!!

Another thing I can't understand is him signing on Adeamo and Moussa and not giving them the chances. We are really struggling for options at the moment, why not give the kids wanting to prove themselves a chance! Harrold certainly can't do it, Hooper was never given a proper chance.

Paynter I think after his loan spell I recon he might have a slight bit of confidence to do it. But the question is will he be given the chance or will Tilly let him go for half the price we paid or as per usual FREE!!

Guttridge aswell what a revelation he was last season why get rid of him!

I love Tilly to bits for the last few seasons but now we are in with the big boys he has just crumbled! He really needs to sort it out in the last 3 games if he wants us to stay up! Motivate the team get the right set up and then IF we do stay up get some DECENT players in.

did you see him play? he was atrocious, a shadow of the player last season and it was like playing with 10 men. he had one good game at Cardiff but we all knew his time at Southend was over.

Well I dunno some players just need time to adjust I saw him play Yes! And I admit the few games other than the Cardiff game he was crap! But to be honest he needed a bit longer and maybe he would of done it. I just always liked Gutts and was a shame to see him slip out of the team.

Well I dunno some players just need time to adjust I saw him play Yes! And I admit the few games other than the Cardiff game he was crap! But to be honest he needed a bit longer and maybe he would of done it. I just always liked Gutts and was a shame to see him slip out of the team.

last year he was one of my favourtie players, i liked his commitment and he's a good midfielder but it was blatantly clear something was wrong with him, at Leicester i think it was he blazed a great chance over the bar and for the rest of the game trotted around like a school-boy who'd had his sweets taken away from them.

League 1 and League 2 are so unpredictable, one season we may be fighting relegation, the next we might be fighting to go up.

last year he was one of my favourtie players, i liked his commitment and he's a good midfielder but it was blatantly clear something was wrong with him, at Leicester i think it was he blazed a great chance over the bar and for the rest of the game trotted around like a school-boy who'd had his sweets taken away from them.

Exactly what I was going to post in response to the "why get rid of Gutts?" comment!

Another 'it's Tilly's fault' thread and so typical that it has been started by Mr Negative ''Tommy****holes''.

I bet you could do a proper job eh?

Wayne Gray and Bentley would not have been up to much in this league, so it goes to show how much you know!

What worries me most is that given money to spend he has spent it on players that have by and large done nothing for the football club and worse in the case of paynter are out on loan scoring goals for other teams. The loses of jupp bentley gray and i feel most importantly the goat were a major part on early season slump. We never replaced these key players and what we brought were less effective and overpriced. .

Wow, so over the top.

No players who have done nothing for the team and never replaced "key" players.

Hammell - ever present until a serious injury.
Clarke - Dodgy start but has proven Tilly right with great performances .
McCormack - Huge impact on the team.
Francis - Confidence player, can have a nightmare but has had some great games and is a decent player and will get better.

Id take them over Bentley and Jupp any day.

The only area we havent had great success with is strikers, Harrold was always meant for the future and Paynter certainly a disappointment. However Id still not want Wayne Gray back!

One thing is certain, anyone expecting us to bounce back up is in for more disappointment next season, League one will be a challenge.

Regarding the youngsters - didnt Tilly say he would have 'no fear' putting Moussa in the side??...

Yet when Macca was out, Gower was moved into the middle...

did you see him play? he was atrocious, a shadow of the player last season and it was like playing with 10 men. he had one good game at Cardiff but we all knew his time at Southend was over.

Spot on - twice !

FWIW in fact I thought he was vastly overrated last season - still can't forget how he nearly cost us the game at Swansea with the needless pen he gave away ( which the ref fortunately didn't spot )

Regarding the youngsters - didnt Tilly say he would have 'no fear' putting Moussa in the side??...

Yet when Macca was out, Gower was moved into the middle...

Personally dont think a relegation fight with so much riding on each game is the time to be playing the kids. Does make more sense to use Gower in that case.

Another 'it's Tilly's fault' thread and so typical that it has been started by Mr Negative ''Tommy****holes''.

I bet you could do a proper job eh?

Wayne Gray and Bentley would not have been up to much in this league, so it goes to show how much you know!

This attitude from some people really p1sses me off.

Because someone raises some justifiable concerns, you instantly throw back the line 'I bet you could do a better job yourself' remark!

This isnt even about whether or not I think Tilly is the right man for the job (for what its worth, regardless of the mistakes he has made this season, the previous 2 years certainly warrant him having time next season to sort things out).

Are you seriously telling me you have never criticised anyone before in your life in a similar position?

What makes you more qualified to speak about the likes of Gray and Bentley than anyone else?

You may disagree with peoples arguments, but please stop all this nonsense about people being negative etc etc. Its not negativity ffs, it is people discussing all facets of out football club.

Some people are overly negative you have to admit.

Saying the players we have arent better than Jupp and Bentley is just playing whining for the sake of it...

Some people are overly negative you have to admit.

Saying the players we have arent better than Jupp and Bentley is just playing whining for the sake of it...

You make think so, others may not, but because of that, they are effectively getting abused by other posters, and that is not on.

This 'You can do a better job' response has been used before and it winds me up because they are basically saying you either agree with Tilson or there opinion is not worthy!!

Yes, some people can be over negative, but you will always get that when there team is where it is.

I noticed you left Wayne Gray out of your comparisons by the way :)

No doubt in my mind he would have been better for us than Lawson, Harrold, Hooper and Bradbury put together this season, but hey, I guess what do I know!!

The expectation from most fans is 'we will come straight back up' - which never really works out. Look at Brighton, Millwall etc...

Millwall & Brighton changed their squad & their manager, that why they did'nt bounce back up, and as for Crewe, they keep chop & change their team nearly every two game, that why they have an mixture of good display & cr@p one.

Southend don't need a clear out in summer, we just need to get rid of squad players that not up to it, get rid of Freddy for £2 million & some 2 of another forward & freshen the forward line with 2 new striker, get central midfielder & a left sided winger to improve the depth of this squad, we got a team that is good enough to go back up - our team know League 1 inside & out, unlike Luton, Leicester, Leeds & Hull who will struggle like Forest.

Back