• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nick Alliker stepping down from BBC Essex commentary

Not a fan of any lefty who uses football to virtue signal their nonsense ......Including forums.
I suppose it depends whether you think Celebs.Have the right to voice as private opinion 0r not.I do,you obviously don't-Anway I notice we both contributed to the Nick Alliker fund.Well done you.

Last edited:
There's something about the voice of a commentator... not all of them have got "it". For TV games, the ones who did (in my opinion, and I'm going back a few years with some of them) were David Coleman, Barry Davies, Gerald Sinstadt, Hugh Johns, Kenneth Wolstenholme (obvs), John Motson, Clive Tyldesely, Peter Drury and Martin Tyler. There were others who were not bad and who almost had "it"... Brian Moore (controversial, as he did get better after a loud, screechy start), Gerry Harrison, Jonathan Pearce (for a brief period soon after he'd started but then for some reason became not good at all) and Peter Brackley.

There are others who have left no impression on me at all, so much so that I can't remember any of their names.

Radio is different... you have to describe everything a way that pictures the scene for the listener. Alan Green on BBC 5 Live - for my mind - is a fabulous commentator because of his knack of describing the action so that you can visualise it pretty clearly in the mind. His voice has just the right level of inflection at the right times, and he transmits just the right amount of excitement. Jim Proudfoot on Talksport isn't bad either.

When I hear the dross served up by other local BBC stations and the buffoons who commentate on their matches... bloody hell they are awful. Neil Kelly and Glenn Speller are both high quality commentators. Victoria Polley is a far better presenter than a commentator and Stuart Smith I'm afraid is not very good at all. And as for the commentary from the away teams on National League TV, blimey, I could do better. Tonight's at Wealdstone was particularly dull and awful.

But Nick Alliker is by far the best radio commentator there is, with the possible exception of Alan Green. He is right up there, has had a fantastic 35 year career and now wants to do something else. Either Glenn or Neil would be decent replacements, but SUFC games without Nick Alliker on commentary just aren't quite the same.

He will be sorely missed.

There's something about the voice of a commentator... not all of them have got "it". For TV games, the ones who did (in my opinion, and I'm going back a few years with some of them) were David Coleman, Barry Davies, Gerald Sinstadt, Hugh Johns, Kenneth Wolstenholme (obvs), John Motson, Clive Tyldesely, Peter Drury and Martin Tyler. There were others who were not bad and who almost had "it"... Brian Moore (controversial, as he did get better after a loud, screechy start), Gerry Harrison, Jonathan Pearce (for a brief period soon after he'd started but then for some reason became not good at all) and Peter Brackley.

There are others who have left no impression on me at all, so much so that I can't remember any of their names.

Radio is different... you have to describe everything a way that pictures the scene for the listener. Alan Green on BBC 5 Live - for my mind - is a fabulous commentator because of his knack of describing the action so that you can visualise it pretty clearly in the mind. His voice has just the right level of inflection at the right times, and he transmits just the right amount of excitement. Jim Proudfoot on Talksport isn't bad either.

When I hear the dross served up by other local BBC stations and the buffoons who commentate on their matches... bloody hell they are awful. Neil Kelly and Glenn Speller are both high quality commentators. Victoria Polley is a far better presenter than a commentator and Stuart Smith I'm afraid is not very good at all. And as for the commentary from the away teams on National League TV, blimey, I could do better. Tonight's at Wealdstone was particularly dull and awful.

But Nick Alliker is by far the best radio commentator there is, with the possible exception of Alan Green. He is right up there, has had a fantastic 35 year career and now wants to do something else. Either Glenn or Neil would be decent replacements, but SUFC games without Nick Alliker on commentary just aren't quite the same.

Totally agree, its not just what they say, there is a tone of voice that just works.

Been very impressed with victoria polly as a presenter. The way she handled the cliffs pavillion show was excellent, but as a full match commentator not for me.

:Off Topic: Well slightly off topic.

@fbm I would have to add the late great Peter Jones to your list. In my opinion unrivalled for his ability to paint word pictures.

Jones was the Commentator at Hillsborough on that fateful day, 15th April 1989.

Forgetting that the TV cameras would be their for MOTD (and not knowing that Grandstand had gone live to Hillsborough), I stayed glued to my radio and listened to him firstly commentate on the beginning of the Semi final and then later his mellifluous tones described his thoughts and feelings at the deserted stadium.

He continued to broadcast regularly, but it has been said that he never really got over, emotionally and personally, from the experience of witnessing the Hillsborough disaster. On 31 March 1990 he collapsed on the BBC launch during his commentary of the Boat Race. Peter Jones never recovered and died less than two weeks short of the anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster.

I’ll probably be in the minority here but I don’t really rate him as a commentator. I find the way he describes the action pretty predictable and I think Glenn Speller is much better.

But despite that I still really respect Nick Alliker and do enjoy his commentary because listening to games with him on commentary is like one of us doing it, such is his love for the club. Some of those clips others have posted from big games in our recent history make me quite emotional coz you can hear in his voice how much the goal or success of Southend means to him.

So I agree with others who say listening to games won’t be the same anymore and he will be missed.

Is anyone else still listening to BBC Essex and the GWR commentary? The commentator is really good. Could he be a replacement for Nick?

I attend most away games and even when I do not I usually just follow the game on Twitter and Gillette soccer Saturday.
Today I felt I should tune in as Nick’s voice has become so familiar over the years with both his commentary’s and post match reports and interviews. He will be missed.
That said I do find listening to commentary’s on the radio frustrating so do not think I will be tuning in again too often.

As someone who'd done the job, I know just how good Nik Alliker is.
Try it sometime, like commentating a game on TV with the sound turned down.

A) You have to have done your homework, so you can say: 'Joe Bloggs may have scored 14 this season, but he mucked up that chance for no 15'.

B) Talk fluently, as in sentences. Not: 'Oh! or 'Heck!' when there's a near thing.

C) Deal with the other things going on in your headphones, like a producer telling you there's been a goal at Great Wakering, while you're describing a corner.

D) Bring excitement to the commentary without overdoing it. That last part is crucial.

E) Be funny on occasion, and share listenable banter with your co-commentator while clocking the action.

F) As some have said, a distinctive voice is handy. That moment when you know the commentator immediately.
That usually comes with the confidence of doing the job over and over again.

Mind you, I don't blame Nik for calling it a day.
Flogging up and down motorways toting equipment; imagine getting back in the car at Gateshead on a freezing night after you've dealt with frustrating technical issues?

Thanks, Nik. Maybe, a rest and a return some day, budget allowing?

Last edited:
Back