• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nick Alliker stepping down from BBC Essex commentary

I probably would not read too much into Nick going, he probably does just want a rest.

It is no secret thought that the BBC does not really value local radio, which is being cut to the bone despite taking up a tiny proportion of their budget.

It is the only service that the BBC provides that I want, everything else that they do is available elsewhere, often better.

Like the NHS, the BBC is the 'envy of the world' which presumably explains why no one else has copied the idea.

I can’t imagine anyone ever choosing to listen to Colchester commentary— but if such a person exists,listening to that Kelly bloke would have lasted seconds rather than minutes.

There are far worse commentators than Neil Kelly. Have you listened to some of the other local BBC commentators? BBC Essex have some decent commentators, Nick and Glen are exceptional (for this level) Victoria and Neil are definitely above average. If we were to have Neil next season I wouldn't be too disappointed!

Reactions: fbm
The BBC Essex commentators are all decent and far better than other local BBC commentators. Nick and Glen Speller are particularly good, however Victoria Polley and Neil Kelley are better than most others.
I have a feeling that we will get Neil Kelly next season which I would not be too disappointed with.
Listened to highlight commentary of Hashtag Utd by V.P on Saturday and sorry but is was mind screechingly terrible. Ned Kelly is very annoying but at least his voice is ok.
V.P in the studio is fine but if she is given the job of Southend commentator then listeners will halve overnight!

I worked with Nick before he came to radio and he was a smashing bloke then too. His commentaries and knowledge are always spot on, and I feel like I'm listening to a Blues fan, not just someone paid to commentate. Love to watch the match at RH and then immediately tune in to BBC Essex just to hear his match commentary highlights, especially when we've scored. Lovely sense of humour as well. His shoes are going to be incredibly hard to fill and I don't see any clear replacement. VP a bit shouty for me and the "zzz" has got to go and Neil Kelly totally unsuitable as I've heard him say "ones apiece" more than once. Aaaaaggghhhh!!!!!
Glenn Speller for me with the chuckle brothers, Paul Clark and Glen Pennyfather continuing as pundits.

Glenn Speller is probably the replacement I would be happiest with, but nobody can be better than Nick Alliker. He has been absolutely fantastic for years, making some of our most dire games still sound good.

Yes, I really hope that the club recognise his contribution and he is given the send off he deserves. Would be lovely to see him invited onto the pitch before the last game of the season so we can all show our appreciation for him!

As an exile it feels like a sad end of an era to me. Even when my dad was getting too old to come to matches we'd listen in together. His voice is synonymous with following my team. Will be missed.

Can only be glenn speller tbh, i dont care for any of the others for various reasons..

As a relative newbie (7-years a Shrimper) I would like the new person to know more about SUFC than I do.

Is it to do with money Nick's leaving, as in cost-cutting to fit a smaller budget?
Don’t think it’s cost cutting as I think he’ll still be doing news for them. Maybe he just wanted to step back, Glenn P is always ribbing him for being away and he seems to enjoy a good work life balance on regards to going away for long periods so probably a bit of both him and Auntie Beeb cutting back.

Back