• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nick Alliker stepping down from BBC Essex commentary

To me he is the voice of Southend United.
Of the games I don’t go to, it is his voice I look to listers to on the radio.

I hope the next commentator we have will not have a high pitched voice.
To be politically correct.
I listened to a game with a person that had a higher pitched voice and when ehs got excited their voice went straight through me, had to turn the game over.

Actually I feel like an old git now.

The only commentators that have come even close to Nick and the BBC Essex team in the past few seasons of listening to the radio/stream were last weeks at Hartlepool.

Head and shoulders above anyone else! Will be difficult to replace.

Shame, enthusiastic,knowledgeable, good voice and we were lucky to have him, Compared to all the other teams we had John Motson. Let’s hope the replacement is decent and not pretty Polley (does a good job in the studio) Stuart Smith or end of me listening, the recently demoted Ned (col u) Kelly

The BBC Essex commentators are all decent and far better than other local BBC commentators. Nick and Glen Speller are particularly good, however Victoria Polley and Neil Kelley are better than most others.
I have a feeling that we will get Neil Kelly next season which I would not be too disappointed with.

A real shame and a big loss, he will be very difficult to replace. Hope we don’t get the dreadful Stuart Smith, or the even worse Mark Babbage, who both like to talk about anything other than the actual game!!

Jupp’s goal in 2005. A classic by Nick Alliker.
We were about 6 rows from the side of the pitch, out of our seats screaming at Juppy to keep going down that wing, then he collected that ball off Freddy and slotted it. That was it, back in L1 right there. When i saw the footage and Nick's commentary it was bang on.
Thanks for the memories Nick.

There was a reporter who covered the Chelmsford match last Saturday on BBC Essex who sounded pretty competent. I have never heard him before, I think his name was Peter something. Maybe he is a new recruit who could take over from Nick.

I didn't say I wanted her Tommy, but it wouldn't surprise me if BBC Essex used her more for commentaries.
I spent the 21/22 and 22/23 season's in the press/radio boxes covering stats and for large parts of last season Nick was very much coaching Victoria when she was on comms, helping her with players squad numbers and certain stats of a particular player (just back from injury, x amount of goals etc)

So I wouldn't be surprised to see Victoria given more opportunities.

It will be a shame to see him go, he was a good commentator over the years. I hope it was fully Nick’s decision as he indicated in his social media post and he wasn’t influenced into the decision in any way by the BBC, who I would not trust as an organisation. They seem to make a habit of removing older broadcasters to suit their own agenda.

Back