• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nike agree Umbro deal

BBC News

I wonder if this would ever filter down into our Just Sport agreement?
Some of the Umbro kits this season are quite smart, be nice for a change from Nike maybe?

*** Doh, just noticed the spelling mistake in the thread title, can a king mod amend it please? ***

Last edited:
I think they reset when you change certain things in your profile (I believe the location is one of them)

Yeah, I changed my email address over the other day. That must be why it's reverted back to members!

I couldn't post while I was awaiting my email to reset (thanks to Yahoo it must have been sent straight away but got hidden in my bulk folder).

£285 million - think Nike have paid well over the odds for a brand in decline.

I don't know - I've seen a fair few more league teams wearing Umbro this season, although they don't seem to have many international takers any more.

Would like to see a Nike England shirt, though.

I don't know - I've seen a fair few more league teams wearing Umbro this season, although they don't seem to have many international takers any more.

Have to say, although they've gone down the route of trying to make the shirts start from a uniform design, e.g. logo high on right shoulder & on left arm, graffiti style trim, there's some really good ones. Hull, Forest & Morecambe away all spring to mind!

I think the only reason they have entertained purchasing Umbro is because of the links to football as it seems Nike are doing everything possible to become the leading sports merchandiser for football.

Without a shadow of doubt Nike have one eye on the future England kits. Sales of England shirts are already down with the likelihood of us not qualifying for next years Euro's - hence another reason why Umbro have been looking for purchasers for sometime.

In fact what footballers still wear Umbro boots? I know Owen does or used to and Shearer did as I remember having Umbro Special with a Shearer signature.

I think the only reason they have entertained purchasing Umbro is because of the links to football as it seems Nike are doing everything possible to become the leading sports merchandiser for football.

Without a shadow of doubt Nike have one eye on the future England kits. Sales of England shirts are already down with the likelihood of us not qualifying for next years Euro's - hence another reason why Umbro have been looking for purchaser for sometime.

In fact what footballers still wear Umbro boots? I know Owen does or used to and Shearer did as I remember having Umbro Special with a Shearer signature.

Owen & John Terry are Umbro's big players over here.
Think Luis Garcia still wears Umbro too (there's also another Spanish player (Guti maybe) who used to wear fluoro yellow XAI's).

Maybe the England sales are down because the kit this time around is very uninspiring and possibly a bit too similar to the one before it? Also I think they're still running scared from the Euro96 grey kit debacle, as pretty much every single shirt since then has been decked in St George's Crosses. I for one, saved my £29 or whatever it is now for an England shirt when I saw what it looked like, I really expected a smart one after the decent away shirt they brought out for the World Cup.

It's also probably a very good commercial decision for the US market where there's obviously room for a brand with such a history to supply the vast amount of women's & kids soccer! I'd say by the 2014 World Cup England will be playing in Nike kits & the USA will be wearing Umbro!

Also, maybe they heard adidas might be sniffing around, as they have a former tie-in and close working relationship with Umbro?

Owen & John Terry are Umbro's big players over here.
Think Luis Garcia still wears Umbro too (there's also another Spanish player (Guti maybe) who used to wear fluoro yellow XAI's).

Maybe the England sales are down because the kit this time around is very uninspiring and possibly a bit too similar to the one before it? Also I think they're still running scared from the Euro96 grey kit debacle, as pretty much every single shirt since then has been decked in St George's Crosses. I for one, saved my £29 or whatever it is now for an England shirt when I saw what it looked like, I really expected a smart one after the decent away shirt they brought out for the World Cup.

It's also probably a very good commercial decision for the US market where there's obviously room for a brand with such a history to supply the vast amount of women's & kids soccer! I'd say by the 2014 World Cup England will be playing in Nike kits & the USA will be wearing Umbro!

Also, maybe they heard adidas might be sniffing around, as they have a former tie-in and close working relationship with Umbro?

Deco wears them too, also read that the England shirt remains the best selling shirt in the world, that was a surprise, personally not a fan of Umbro, but good that they printed the size for West Ham fans on the front of their shirts as they have reading difficulties.

The chief executive of Umbro, Steve Makin, said the offer was an "excellent deal" for shareholders.

"We will be a stronger and better business as part of Nike and this deal will allow us to accelerate our existing growth strategy by leveraging Nike's global resources and expertise," he added.....
Translation.. Your out of a job by xmas along with 80 per cent of your staff..

Back