• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nile Ranger

If you’ve watched the True Geordie interview and the one with Theo Robinson and Frank Nouble he comes across as a genuine bloke. Unfortunately I think his circle of friends are the bad influence and he is easily lead.

The only way to get a trouble free Ranger would be for him to be monitored and kept away from any outside influences. Which is almost impossible! Such a shame because he is a talented player, Newcastle didn’t give him a 5 and a half year contract for no reason.

If you’ve watched the True Geordie interview and the one with Theo Robinson and Frank Nouble he comes across as a genuine bloke. Unfortunately I think his circle of friends are the bad influence and he is easily lead.

The only way to get a trouble free Ranger would be for him to be monitored and kept away from any outside influences. Which is almost impossible! Such a shame because he is a talented player, Newcastle didn’t give him a 5 and a half year contract for no reason.

come on that was the best part of 10 years ago.

This bloke is rotten.

As others have said we have turned a corner why go back and get this waster anywhere near our young impressionable squad. We have enough old pros (Ox, Demi, Halford, Macca,etc) who can guide the youngsters in their early careers- show them that if you look after yourself then you can still be playing in your late 30’s. Alternatively they get messed up by Ranger and we start all over again..

come on that was the best part of 10 years ago.

This bloke is rotten.

As others have said we have turned a corner why go back and get this waster anywhere near our young impressionable squad. We have enough old pros (Ox, Demi, Halford, Macca,etc) who can guide the youngsters in their early careers- show them that if you look after yourself then you can still be playing in your late 30’s. Alternatively they get messed up by Ranger and we start all over again..

Yes it was 10 years ago but you don’t just lose natural talent and skill! Some people are born with the talent and it comes natural and others have to work their nuts off to get to a high level. Nile has natural talent!

I think coxy had a love \ hate \wind up relationship with loads of players definitely including those two! But there was a mutual professional competetive respect when it came to on the pitch. Ranger had a lot of help from one of those three but it still didn't help. RM was very supportive of ranger too in ways beyond his requirements. He couldn't have been given better circumstances to turn it round. Although the younger boys will love what they see and hear, I hope they don't see or pick up his habits. He's just lazy and selfish I'm afraid. Time after time. A waste of talent , which he undoubtedly has.
tommy2holes paints a rosy version of what could be, but with ranger there's always side issues, repercussions, unknown problems, disrespect .... I'm really not sure that will help us right now

Yes it was 10 years ago but you don’t just lose natural talent and skill! Some people are born with the talent and it comes natural and others have to work their nuts off to get to a high level. Nile has natural talent!
Bags of talent but minimal effort
He needs to prove himself on the training ground first.

He’s probably full of good intentions right now, convincing himself he can earn a contract & be our saviour.
People can change & grow up, Otto was a good example. Be interesting to see if Nile can do it

My advice to you Mr Ranger is to take it a day at a time.

Last edited:
So you seriously don’t believe Ranger’s natural ability isn’t miles above what we currently have? Christ.
Above what we have, yes absolutely.

Above what we can get in 10 days time with less baggage I'm not convinced, especially with most teams now behind closed doors and a cheeky little cash injection (approx. £7m) into Citizen housings accounts.

Everyone will have their own picture of Nile and it will be taken from various sources. My picture is no different. The 1st thing that sticks out for me is something Ron said at a Q&A when Chris Powell 1st took over, he said that Nile being a trouble maker was a misconception and unfair on him, he did however say it is his belief that he would never be a model professional. Backing this up is the ball don't lie podcasts with Nouble and Theo, they are always alluding to PB being Niles "Dad" and how he got away with everything. Also speaking to players you got this picture that he was a lovable nightmare. You can see how a guy like this would rub up those who are passionate in their professionalism the wrong way.
I don't believe Ron will ever take Nile back, I do believe he likes him though which is why I wouldn't completely rule out Ron softening in his stance. I'm not sure if it is still the case but Ron said that Niles car was still in his name when he left and Niles mum was making sure Nile kept up payments to him.

I wouldn't be against Nile coming back but like others have mentioned it would have to be on a 1 strike and you are out basis.

Above what we have, yes absolutely.

Above what we can get in 10 days time with less baggage I'm not convinced, especially with most teams now behind closed doors and a cheeky little cash injection (approx. £7m) into Citizen housings accounts.

Fair point. I completely understand why people are against signing Ranger, and respect everyone’s opinions. Personally though I think if Ranger proves himself and doesn’t upset the squad we’ve got to gamble on him with a short term contract. We’ve all seen how p*iss poor this league is and Ranger would tear it a new one even half fit!

Bags of talent but minimal effort & lots of misplaced
He needs to prove himself on the training ground first.

He’s probably full of good intentions right now, convincing himself he can earn a contract & be our saviour.
People can change & grow up, Otto was a good example. Be interesting to see if Nile can do it

My advice to you Mr Ranger is to take it a day at a time.
Otto hadn’t been through four league clubs (and two on loan) saying the same stuff over and over. Words are easy.
Ron didn’t give Nile one chance he gave him several.
If he was to come he’d have to knuckle down and be professional and really want it. To be honest I’d be chuffed to bits if he could do that but I’m not sure it’s possible.

Everyone will have their own picture of Nile and it will be taken from various sources. My picture is no different. The 1st thing that sticks out for me is something Ron said at a Q&A when Chris Powell 1st took over, he said that Nile being a trouble maker was a misconception and unfair on him, he did however say it is his belief that he would never be a model professional. Backing this up is the ball don't lie podcasts with Nouble and Theo, they are always alluding to PB being Niles "Dad" and how he got away with everything. Also speaking to players you got this picture that he was a lovable nightmare. You can see how a guy like this would rub up those who are passionate in their professionalism the wrong way.
I don't believe Ron will ever take Nile back, I do believe he likes him though which is why I wouldn't completely rule out Ron softening in his stance. I'm not sure if it is still the case but Ron said that Niles car was still in his name when he left and Niles mum was making sure Nile kept up payments to him.

I wouldn't be against Nile coming back but like others have mentioned it would have to be on a 1 strike and you are out basis.
You comments I think go to a very important point. Loads of people with opinions and their versions of the truth regarding Ranger. The reason most must be nonsense is that there are about 5 contradictory versions where only one can be right or more than one partially right.
Ron I believe has kept in touch with Ranger and I think genuinely wanted to help him even after he left. If Ron had decided there was no way on earth he was coming back then frankly there is no way that he would have told him he needed to speak to Sol (who didn't want to know) and now MM. My guess is Ron's view is if the manager wants you then maybe we can talk but it them you need to convince.

Your comments regarding him being a lovable nightmare not a trouble maker kind of rings true, and explains why PB and Ron were so patient- too patient. And from what you say probably PB's handling of him did the player no favours at all.

In summary I don't think its about Ron having to soften his stance. Its 100% about MM wanting to take him on.

Of course he is not just here to "get fit". But I am certain that is exactly the agreed story (and probably Ranger was told to confirm likewise pronto after the initial story broke yesterday). Makes perfect sense. If, as still more likely, MM passes then both parties can just say thats all it was- no rejection, no false expectation raised. However, in the current environment, with COVID bubbles etc. etc. the idea that MM isn't taking a serious look is for the birds. On this in MM we have to trust given its clear that most of the stories cannot at the same time be true.

Ron also said he visited NR in prison whilst PB didn't. He seemed quite proud of that for half a second and then realised what he was actually saying and quickly moved the conversation on with a guilty tone about him.

There are also rumours that PB wanted to drop him on the morning of a home game but Ron overruled him.

So the best thing MM could do is Ring PB and be told the 90% of stuff that most don't know about. PB might also warn him that once Nile gets his contract MM wont be making the decisions and that will undo all the hard work so far.

Me personally i wouldn't have him anywhere near the training ground. If anyone will break the Tier 4 rules it will of course be Nile.

That aside he is one of the most overrated players to pull on a shirt for us. I hear people say "on his day" and "unplayable" but that never happened. Not even at Sheffield. I was there that night and that whole game has become a myth.

He is not a natural goal scorer, his positioning in the box proves that. He missed easy headers from 4 yards and got a nose bleed on every 1v1.

He could flick a ball on, at times he held it up well and could turn an create to odd goal. Wimbledon and Oldham away come to mind. He could also defend the near post from corners but I have seen Calvin Andrew do all the above only better and he bring his own team into play......Yet most of you would be horrified if he signed.

Last edited:
He has bags of talent but I just don't want the excellent team spirit that has been built to be ruined. Are we really this desperate? If it were to happen, and I really hope it doesn't, then it needs to be with a cast-iron clause that states his contract will be terminated without pay-off at the first sign of any indiscretion or disciplinary problem.

He has bags of talent but I just don't want the excellent team spirit that has been built to be ruined. Are we really this desperate? If it were to happen, and I really hope it doesn't, then it needs to be with a cast-iron clause that states his contract will be terminated without pay-off at the first sign of any indiscretion or disciplinary problem.

You mean the same as last time.

I don't believe Ron will ever take Nile back, I do believe he likes him though which is why I wouldn't completely rule out Ron softening in his stance

I can say with absolute certainty that Ron would have him back.

During Sol’s reign, Ranger was on the phone to Ron constantly. Ron eventually said to Ranger, that It’s Sol’s decision, and if Sol wanted him, then he could come back. Sol said no and then swerved his calls.

When MM came on board, Ranger did the same thing again, and was again told by Ron that it wasn’t upto him, it was the managers decision.

Make no mistakes, Ron would have him back today if it were upto him.

I don’t believe this story about him using the club to gain some fitness. I think Ranger has been given a very short leash, and told to prove himself over the next few weeks. If he can do that, then a short-term deal may be offered.

I don’t buy this. With Covid regulations you’d think we’d have as little amount of people using the facilities as possible, particularly now we’re Tier 4

Why now do we help Nile Ranger get fit?

Turn up on time. Train like a madman. Make it impossible for us not to offer him something but he’s gonna have to earn it.

Exactly what I was thinking, but apparently Drewe is doing the same, so maybe not.

Why take a chance on a known trouble maker. That bloke could start a fight inside a paper bag.

He's not a trouble maker in that he doesn't cause trouble for anyone else in the way Billel did. He only causes issues for himself...

I can say with absolute certainty that Ron would have him back.

During Sol’s reign, Ranger was on the phone to Ron constantly. Ron eventually said to Ranger, that It’s Sol’s decision, and if Sol wanted him, then he could come back. Sol said no and then swerved his calls.

When MM came on board, Ranger did the same thing again, and was again told by Ron that it wasn’t upto him, it was the managers decision.

Make no mistakes, Ron would have him back today if it were upto him.

I don’t believe this story about him using the club to gain some fitness. I think Ranger has been given a very short leash, and told to prove himself over the next few weeks. If he can do that, then a short-term deal may be offered.

I'm just going from what Ron said in front of me, i'm paraphrasing but it was something along the lines of I don't believe Nile will ever change and it is a closed chapter. Obviously time can change things but when it was said it was said with conviction and seemed very final.

Back