• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nile Ranger

I'm all for redemption. If he wants to train with us it gives MM an opportunity to see him, and see any potential there is. On his day he is an excellent player, but we all know he has baggage. Let him prove himself on the training ground, let him prove to himself that he can still do the business with hard work and the right mindset. If there is a decent player in there, I trust MM to see and nurture it. I am proud that our club has a good record of giving chances to rogues who want to change.

He's not a trouble maker in that he doesn't cause trouble for anyone else in the way Billel did. He only causes issues for himself...

I was sitting in the directors box at home v Bradford. Just along form me was Anton and Cox, not in the squad but not injured. They looked completely p***** off, spent plenty of time on their phones instead of watching and almost in silence despite being great mates.

That was on December 16th and the first game we lost at home that season. I thought back then PB is in real trouble here. He was sacked less than month later.

Last edited:
I'm just going from what Ron said in front of me, i'm paraphrasing but it was something along the lines of I don't believe Nile will ever change and it is a closed chapter. Obviously time can change things but when it was said it was said with conviction and seemed very final.
I think its more to do with the manager at the time. If they are dead against then Ron will say this. Even now with a manager prepared to take a look the message is being carefully managed.

Of course it's wrong and hes had so many chances but your not going to be botherd about the old lady he robbed if he scores and the team win.
Ah, you totally misread me, friend.
Yeah, as loftily moral as it sounds, and I'm wobbling on the soap box as I tap, it would.
Just to hammer the point - even unto relegation.

I was sitting in the directors box at home v Bradford. Just along form me was Anton and Cox, not in the squad but not injured. They looked completely p***** off, spent plenty of time on their phones instead of watching and almost in silence despite being great mates.

That was on December 16th and the first game we lost at home that season. I thought back then PB is in real trouble here. He was sacked less than month later.
Even by your standards that is cryptic.
Anton and cox don’t play- therefore————-it must be that ranger caused problems.

how are those of us not on the know meant to understand the connection?

I'm all for redemption. If he wants to train with us it gives MM an opportunity to see him, and see any potential there is. On his day he is an excellent player, but we all know he has baggage. Let him prove himself on the training ground, let him prove to himself that he can still do the business with hard work and the right mindset. If there is a decent player in there, I trust MM to see and nurture it. I am proud that our club has a good record of giving chances to rogues who want to change.
What suggests after the many chances he had, this time is going to be any different?
There was a decent player in there; there is a decent player in there, so why does he consistently squander his talent?
Sooner or later, and the former is likelier, he'll resort to default mode.

My glass is always half full and I always look for the best in people. My wife calls me a sucker.
Nile is older now , he may/may not be different, we have a different manager now who may/may not be able to get the best from him. I trust Molesley to make the right decision, I can’t imagine he would consider it if the senior players told him “no way”.
I am hoping that we genuinely do have great team spirit and no cliques and IF that is the case then arguably with everyone pulling the same way it will be more difficult for him to screw up morale etc. I would like to think that macca would be very vocal on this point

re Nile a bad influence on the youngsters, could he not be the total opposite—- ie tell the youngsters-this is what happens when you have talent but ( for whatever reasons) you don’t apply yourself

I do wonder how fit he is , he admits to being a bad trainer so if he can’t/won’t follow a fitness program then it becomes a non decision.

I must admit if he did join for the first time I would be happy we had no fans. I sing all game but cringe and don’t join in on some of his songs which really **** me off

Last edited:
If you’ve watched the True Geordie interview and the one with Theo Robinson and Frank Nouble he comes across as a genuine bloke. Unfortunately I think his circle of friends are the bad influence and he is easily lead.

The only way to get a trouble free Ranger would be for him to be monitored and kept away from any outside influences. Which is almost impossible! Such a shame because he is a talented player, Newcastle didn’t give him a 5 and a half year contract for no reason.
A convicted confidence trickster comes across as a genuine bloke. Who'd a thought it.

I'm a firm believer in people being able to reform and change themselves, and he does seem to have a genuine affection for our club. I think sod it, give him a chance!
I am a firm believer in a leopard not being able to change its spots.

Ron also said he visited NR in prison whilst PB didn't. He seemed quite proud of that for half a second and then realised what he was actually saying and quickly moved the conversation on with a guilty tone about him.

There are also rumours that PB wanted to drop him on the morning of a home game but Ron overruled him.

So the best thing MM could do is Ring PB and be told the 90% of stuff that most don't know about. PB might also warn him that once Nile gets his contract MM wont be making the decisions and that will undo all the hard work so far.

Me personally i wouldn't have him anywhere near the training ground. If anyone will break the Tier 4 rules it will of course be Nile.

That aside he is one of the most overrated players to pull on a shirt for us. I hear people say "on his day" and "unplayable" but that never happened. Not even at Sheffield. I was there that night and that whole game has become a myth.

He is not a natural goal scorer, his positioning in the box proves that. He missed easy headers from 4 yards and got a nose bleed on every 1v1.

He could flick a ball on, at times he held it up well and could turn an create to odd goal. Wimbledon and Oldham away come to mind. He could also defend the near post from corners but I have seen Calvin Andrew do all the above only better and he bring his own team into play......Yet most of you would be horrified if he signed.
I don't want Nile back but in our 3-0 away win at MK he was fantastic; one of the finest performances I've seen from a number nine. He, Cox and Wordsworth tore MK apart that day.

Was he overrated? Maybe. But I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest he wasn't unplayable because on that day he certainly was.

I'm just going from what Ron said in front of me, i'm paraphrasing but it was something along the lines of I don't believe Nile will ever change and it is a closed chapter. Obviously time can change things but when it was said it was said with conviction and seemed very final.

I hear ya.

All I can say is Ron must have had a change of heart since he said that. I know for fact he left the decision to Sol, and has done the same with Molesley.

The fact that he’s training with us should be a clear indicator that Ron hasn’t shut the door on him.

I don't want Nile back but in our 3-0 away win at MK he was fantastic; one of the finest performances I've seen from a number nine. He, Cox and Wordsworth tore MK apart that day.

Was he overrated? Maybe. But I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest he wasn't unplayable because on that day he certainly was.

In fairness i was not at the game as I was going to see the Specials that night and MK never have had a penny from me.

Back