• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend4ever

I used to play a little.
Tilly is clued up for this coming season. He has bought well for the positions that needed filling. There wouldn't appear to be anymore signings besides Spinner, who has played pre-season anyway.

What I am getting at is that we should be able to gel very early on. After a good few seasons without an encouraging start to the season, I feel this time round it is going to be.

I think we have a lot of good players. The keeper looks good and Spinner, Gower and "Striking Sensation" Gray will be key players should they feel their potential. Good times ahead I feel fellow shrimps
laugh.gif

Everyone, as excited about the new season?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southend Shrimp @ July 22 2004,21:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ July 22 2004,19:39)]Not really. 12th for me ...
Oh come on Mr General, be a bit more optimistic.  
biggrin.gif
I cant be. We ae (once again) going to lack in the goal scoring department. We need more of the team to chip in, and i just cant see that happening ...

I think we will go up via the play offs. Another trip to Cardiff would go down a treat.

Realistically, our chance of promotion hinge on the injuries we pick up over the season. If we pick up injuries to key players like Edwards and Maher who comes in to replace them or do we bring someone in on loan?

I believe the starting 11 for the Cheltenham game will be:

Bartman

Jupp Edwards Barrett Nicolau

"Striking Sensation" Gray Maher Bentley Gower

Drewenaldo Dudfield.

With that starting 11 I think promotion is a possibility. If injuries are picked up by every player in that starting 11 at the same time we are looking at an 11 that would look like this:

Flahavan

Williams Hunt Prior (If we sign him, if not who?) Che

Husbands Smith (When fit he'd start) Bryan Kightly

Bramble Corbett.

If injuries are picked up to players like "Striking Sensation" Gray and Barrett they could be easily covered by Husbands and Hunt but who'd replace Edwards if Barrett is injured at the same time. Loan signings and injuries will decide whether we win promotion come may.

BoyWonder- Don't forget Pettefer, he'll be challenging for a place in the side when his leg heals.

I do agree with you, though. But I don't think that we are too dependent on any one or two players, so my confidence is high.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southend Shrimp @ July 22 2004,21:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ July 22 2004,19:34)]Good times ahead I feel fellow shrimps...
It's Shrimpers not Shrimps  
wink.gif
Take note southend4ever. We are the hunter, not the prey!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 22 2004,23:40)]I believe the starting 11 for the Cheltenham game will be:

Bartman

Jupp Edwards Barrett Nicolau

"Striking Sensation" "Striking Sensation" Gray Maher Bentley Gower

Drewenaldo Dudfield.
I pretty sure Pettefer is Tilly's preferred choice for left midfield and Gower for right midfield - at least to start the season.

And I'd guess "Drewnaldo" will be on the bench to start, with either "Striking Sensation" Gray or Bramble to partner Dudfield.

That gives 1st/2nd XI's of:
Bart/Flav
Jupp/Willo Edwards/Hunt Barrett/? Nicholau/Mr.Cheese
Gower/Husbands Maher/Smith Bentley/? Pettefer/Kightly
"Striking Sensation" Gray/Bramble Dudfield/Drew

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SoC @ July 23 2004,09:57)]I pretty sure Pettefer is Tilly's preferred choice for left midfield and Gower for right midfield - at least to start the season.
Yep

The strikers' positions are all up for grabs though...

Sorry I completely forgot about Petts.

The starting 11 would have Smith in place of Bentley when fit. I chose "Striking Sensation" Gray wide right because out there perhaps he can show us his electric pace.

Drewenaldo will start up front with Dudfield if Lawrie fully recovers in time. Thats just a gut feeling I have.

I'd always pick Corbett to play if fit.

My midfield would be:

Gower Bentley Maher Corbett

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ July 23 2004,12:45)]I'd always pick Corbett to play if fit.

My midfield would be:

Gower   Bentley   Maher    Corbett
What about Jay Smith...

wink.gif

BTW, Corbett on the right, surely?

rock.gif

My ideal line-up would be:

Griemink

Jupp Edwards (c.) Prior Nicolau

Corbett Maher J.Smith Gower

Dudfield Gráy

Subs: Flahavan, Pettefer, Hunt, Bentley, Bramble

However, that means the likes of Barrett, Kights, Husbands, Cheese and Droooo aren't even making the bench... in other words, competition for places this season is going to be enormous.

That, more than anything else, is a huge cause for optimism this season. For too long, players have been allowed to coast - at times Tes, Maher, Jupp and Flahavan (of the old guard) took their foot off the pedal.

If that happens this season, they won't even make the bench. And that is incredibly heartening to see.

In fact, Nicky Nicolau is probably the only member of the squad without genuine competition for his place (since we all know that Cheese is happier elsewhere on the pitch). Long may that continue.

Top 7 this season, I reckon.

COME ON YOU SHRIMPERS!!!

biggrin.gif

Matt

The way he finished last season, I'd say Bentley has an important role to play for us. He's a battler, which is something we occasionally lack, and I'd pick him over Smith until he can prove his form and fitness.

I was picking Corbett on the right, I'd normally say it looks like I've picked him on the left, but as I haven't put the rest of the team in, I was putting them 'facing up'.
wink.gif

I think that young kightly will get a few games under his belt this season. He is very good going foward and likes to tackle which gower doesnt!!

Starting line up when fit and signed etc

Bart

Jupp Edwards Prior Nicky

Gower Smith Maher Pettifer

Drew Duddfield

With the bench as follows

Hunt, Bentley, Grey, kightly, Flavs

I really do think that is the strongest squad and more importantly a promotion squad!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ July 22 2004,19:34)]Tilly is clued up for this coming season. He has bought well for the positions that needed filling. There wouldn't appear to be anymore signings besides Spinner, who has played pre-season anyway.

What I am getting at is that we should be able to gel very early on. After a good few seasons without an encouraging start to the season, I feel this time round it is going to be.

I think we have a lot of good players. The keeper looks good and Spinner, Gower and "Striking Sensation" "Striking Sensation" Gray will be key players should they feel their potential. Good times ahead I feel fellow shrimps  
laugh.gif

The one thing that will definitely work to our advantage, is the fact that we had the squad we are going to start the season with at the end of June!.

Lots of other teams in League 2 are still transferring players in/out and therefore, are nowhere near knowing their full squad for the campaign ahead, which will undoubtedly put them at a disadvantage.

It may take some of these teams 5-6 matches for the players to start working together properly... Hopefully, Cheltenham will be one of them & we get a similar result to that on the opening day of last season [which was also against them!].

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ July 23 2004,14:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ July 22 2004,19:34)]Tilly is clued up for this coming season. He has bought well for the positions that needed filling. There wouldn't appear to be anymore signings besides Spinner, who has played pre-season anyway.

I think we have a lot of good players. The keeper looks good and Spinner, Gower and  "Striking Sensation" "Striking Sensation" "Striking Sensation" Gray will be key players should they feel their potential. Good times ahead I feel fellow shrimps  
laugh.gif

The one thing that will definitely work to our advantage, is the fact that we had the squad we are going to start the season with at the end of June!.

Lots of other teams in League 2 are still transferring players in/out and therefore, are nowhere near knowing their full squad for the campaign ahead, which will undoubtedly put them at a disadvantage.

It may take some of these teams 5-6 matches for the players to start working together properly... Hopefully, Cheltenham will be one of them & we get a similar result to that on the opening day of last season [which was also against them!].
Completely agree - it has been the first time for ages that the squad has been so settled. As of today, there has only been four new players that have signed, that weren't at the club last season either on loan or pernamently. Got to be good to see....
rock.gif

Back