• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So this is not even a fresh idea !!! .. sorry but to drag up an idea thats been done only 18 months ago is plagiarism at best so i'm withdrawing my entry

You obviously didn't read the OP.
SUFC Stu stated the old thread didn't get off the ground so it never got done.
Help it along or we'll have to call you Ebenezer.:smile:

Haha .. ok so i jumped the gun a little earlier .. most of the women i've known have commented on it actually :blush:

I've apologised to Stu via PM and if he'll let me i'll re-submit :cheers:

Coming back from 1-2 down against Newport County in the dying minutes, to win 4-2 and take an important step towards eventual promnotion in 1977/78.

Final day of 1984/85. We won at Roots Hall to avoid having to apply for re-election.
Although it would have appeared a formality, I was working at the club canvassing the other club thoughts. Division Four (as it was) was made up lkargely of clubs from the north who might well want to get rid of a journey to SE Essex.
More importantly, our finances post-Anton Johnson were abysmal. I remember emptying the fruit machines in the Shrimpers Club to pay out wages to the first team!!! Other clubs were aware and the possibility of us folding during the next season would have been a concern.
We had just set the record for lowest average league attendance in any season in our history, 2,103 and the club was at it's lowest ever ebb.
The voting might have been close and there was, according to our own forecasts, every chance that we would have been voted out. Remember, there was no promotion back in those days..just the annual vote.
We won and avoiuded having to apply for re-election by virtue of a superior goal difference of just 2..to finish above Halifax Town on the same points.

In the end it all paled into sad insignificance as images of fire sweeping through a stand at Valley Parade, Bradford brought celebrations to an immediate halt. The consequences of that fire are and were all too tragic.

Swansea away in the 2005-2006 season - freddy Eastwood double got us promoted thanks to results going our way. Game that finished 2-2.

Final day of 1984/85. We won at Roots Hall to avoid having to apply for re-election.
Although it would have appeared a formality, I was working at the club canvassing the other club thoughts. Division Four (as it was) was made up lkargely of clubs from the north who might well want to get rid of a journey to SE Essex.
More importantly, our finances post-Anton Johnson were abysmal. I remember emptying the fruit machines in the Shrimpers Club to pay out wages to the first team!!! Other clubs were aware and the possibility of us folding during the next season would have been a concern.
We had just set the record for lowest average league attendance in any season in our history, 2,103 and the club was at it's lowest ever ebb.
The voting might have been close and there was, according to our own forecasts, every chance that we would have been voted out. Remember, there was no promotion back in those days..just the annual vote.
We won and avoiuded having to apply for re-election by virtue of a superior goal difference of just 2..to finish above Halifax Town on the same points.

In the end it all paled into sad insignificance as images of fire sweeping through a stand at Valley Parade, Bradford brought celebrations to an immediate halt. The consequences of that fire are and were all too tragic.

kind of puts things into a little perspective really.

How about John Gymer's goal against Hartlepool on Saturday 9th November 1985? The goal timings were:

43' Hartlepool
44' Cadette
45' Hartlepool
91' Cadette
92' Gymer

This was against a backdrop of severe racial abuse of Cadette from the Hartlepool fans, whom me, my brother and my dad were sitting right in the middle of.

How about John Gymer's goal against Hartlepool on Saturday 9th November 1985? The goal timings were:

43' Hartlepool
44' Cadette
45' Hartlepool
91' Cadette
92' Gymer

This was against a backdrop of severe racial abuse of Cadette from the Hartlepool fans, whom me, my brother and my dad were sitting right in the middle of.

My Dad and I - despite my protests - left that game on about 85 minutes. When we heard the result on the way home I didn't know whether to cheer or cry.

43' Hartlepool
44' Cadette
45' Hartlepool
91' Cadette
92' Gymer

Ah now that was a cracking game. Don't remember the abuse, but remember Gymer scoring after coming on as a sub. For ages after I thought Gymer scored 2.

Everton away 1992 we were riding on a crest of a wave at the time just beaten Newcastle 4-0 and even though we lost the game 1-0 we totally dominated Everton. But for Neville Southall we would have won that game. The 2nd half saw us totally dominate a pretty decent Top Division side on their own ground. Southall made 2 wonder saves. At the end of the game so many Everton fans stayed behind to clap the Southend team off the pitch. At the end of the game we truly believed we would be back next season at Everton as a Premier League side.

Wigan at home Good Friday 1988. Wigan go 2-0 up early in the 2nd half they are up the top we are near the bottom, it doesnt look good then an amazing comeback with wonder goals by Ling and Crown win us the game 3-2. We go on to stay up and Wigan miss the play offs.

Ah now that was a cracking game. Don't remember the abuse, but remember Gymer scoring after coming on as a sub. For ages after I thought Gymer scored 2.

That's seriously unfair to Cadette, who's second was from such an acute angle it seemed impossible to score from there.

When we went to Everton we were only 4 places below them in the league ladder, us being 3rd in tier 2 and them 2nd bottom of the top flight

To speed this up a bit, maybe time to take some from the old list. Some classic in that one and some have not been said here.

Only the ones who have not nominated already here of course.

We had Roy McDonough's penalty vs Derby County (with then-England keeper Peter Shilton in goal) in 1987 yet?

No chance of winning, but a fine moment and deserves nomination.

Added,

This is a proposed list with some from the old thread, Wait a bit longer for people who may have not seen this or go ahead with this now?

Dont think I have repeated anything.

1) davewebbsbrain - Ian Benjamin goal that put Southend into the second tier for the first time.
2) Cockles,Shrimps&Whiteweed - The 4-0 mauling of Newcastle in 1992.
3) Shrimpboy - Wayne Gray's goal against Bristol City to win League One in 2006.
4) MK Shrimper - Eastwood freekick against Manchester United
5) Barnablue - The 6-1 away victory at Bournemouth in 68/9 in the old league cup.
6) Ricey - The play off final 04-05 vs Lincoln when Duncan Jupp scored.
7) CanveyShrimper - Billy Best's 5 goals in 20 minutes in our 10-1 romp against Brentwood in the FA Cup.
8) Bluesmike61 - Eastwood's debut goal vs Swansea in just 8 seconds.
9) Badger74 - 3-0 home win against Blackburn rovers
10) Southchruch Groyney Mark Warren putting us 3-1 up at Swansea after we were down to 8 men
11) Gt Yarmouth - Playing host to the Champions of Europe
12) sufc_dave - Clarke's equaliser at Chelsea 2009
13) yogi bear up the cagire - Our 2-0 FA Cup Third Round win at Swindon, January 1969,
14) Shrimpe2thecore - Beating Colchester 6-1
15) Drastisc Sturgeon - Oliver Tigg in the Blue Boar, 19 May 1906
16) fbm - Beating a full strength Tottenham 3-2 in the second leg of a league cup tie
17) Shrimpers Are Magic - The Donuts goal to make it 4 all against the Cobblers in the FA cup. 86/87
18) BlueBlood - Away at Leyton Orient Details to follow.
19) Napster - 10-1 rout with Angell and Tilson getting 7.
20) Kevin Hogg - Coming back from 1-2 down against Newport County in the dying minutes, to win 4-2 and take an important step towards eventual promnotion in 1977/78.
21) OlvisIII - Swansea away in the 2005-2006 season - freddy Eastwood double got us promoted thanks to results going our way.
22) LondonBlue - John Gymer's goal against Hartlepool on Saturday 9th November 1985
23) Csboy - Everton away 1992 we were riding on a crest of a wave at the time just beaten Newcastle 4-0 and even though we lost the game 1-0 we totally dominated Everton.
24) ORM - Promotion at Stockport
25) Nzamba Legend - Maher's beating QPR 5-0
26) DTS - Andy Sussex and staying up v Luton
27) UL - Roy McDonough's penalty vs Derby County
28) TTS - beating Birmingham 3-1 a few weeks after Fry left.
29) BILLERICAY BLUE - Crownys goal v Wigan
30) Manor15 - Opening day 1-0 win against in the championship season.
31) DSLC - Searle V Rushden
32) Silencer - Drewes goal against Colchester in the Southern Final 2nd leg.

Back