• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Having now watched the goals, Oxley should have stopped the first and third goal an could have done better with the fourth. We have got no chance of getting out of this situation if we are going to give opposition teams cheap goals every week.

An awful defeat, made even worse by the fact that we were actually slightly better in the first half and could've easily got a result if it wasn't for a ridiculous mistake from Oxley and a stupid penalty (and soft red card). Our attackers must take some blame as well for their reluctance to get shots off in the first half.

Oxley 3- Mistake cost us the game. Game could have gone either way if he hadn't gifted them the lead. Tough to go from Bentley winning us points to Oxley losing us points. Actually looked decent in the first half but it's not acceptable for a goalkeeper to make so many mistakes. His confidence will be gone now so struggle to see him improving.

Demetriou 5- Looked good going forward in the first half, could improve his end product. A silly foul but a red card looked harsh.
White 6- He had a fairly good game but don't understand playing him centre back when he had two on the bench.
Thompson and Barrett 6- Both had average games. A rare good decision from Brown to rest Barrett when the game was over, one of the few things he doesn't deserve criticism for.
Coker 6- Some poor passes but his first half performance looked an improvement on recent weeks. Like everyone else didn't really do much in a second half as we didn't see much of the ball.

Atkinson 5- Closed the ball down well but held onto the ball for too long and kept giving away.
Leonard 6- Like most other players a good first half but nothing much in the second half.
McLaughlin 6- Shouldn't have been brought of as he was a threat. Should have pulled the trigger more quickly though.
McGlashan 7- Didn't stop running all game. Some clever skills but his end product does need to improve.

Mooney 7 MOTM- Good to see him play with a bit more confidence. He held the ball up really well and would have benefited with a strike partner.

Wordsworth 5- Glimpses of quality but was never likely to make a big impact after 6 months out in a game where we had 10 men and not much of the ball.
Cox 5- No time to do anything.
Innis 5- Same as above but looks a real presence which could be useful.

Brown 1- Please just go.

There's so many goals both our keepers could have saved this season. I said a while back that both aren't good enough.

Agree... both not good enough, sorry Ted is not ready....and won't be for a while, who knows if ever....look at the good keepers this club used to have in the old days, Royce, Sansome....... our current are not half as good... it's not just the keepers, it's all over the pitch.

How many times have we been here before?? Isn't this why we support our team? We always hope that things will get better.
Maybe they will, maybe they won't but trust me, we will always support our beloved team. COYBB

Just caught PB's reaction on the radio, and him saying it's game over when 2-0 down with 10 men is game over has irked me a bit. I feel like there should be a least a shred of fighting spirit, even if the odds are against you. Is it a possibility that this is always PB's mentality towards unfavourable situations, and he passes this dead and buried attitude to the team? Might explain why the heads go down after bad things happen, how are you supposed to believe you can still win if not even your manager does! - May be over extrapolating from one quote, but I suppose it's a possibility.

If nothing else you keep it at 0-2 because of goal difference (currently -9) turning 0-2 's into -4's will effectively cost you a valuable point at the end of the season

How many times have we been here before?? Isn't this why we support our team? We always hope that things will get better.
Maybe they will, maybe they won't but trust me, we will always support our beloved team. COYBB

What? Brown broke the club record of loses in a row, these players have no fight, Leonard, Coker the lot...

Agree... both not good enough, sorry Ted is not ready....and won't be for a while, who knows if ever....look at the good keepers this club used to have in the old days, Royce, Sansome....... our current are not half as good... it's not just the keepers, it's all over the pitch.

Ted isn't ready. But based on the fact that in my opinion, he has far more potential than Oxley, Smith should be starting ahead of him. The only problem is that Smith's confidence could be absolutely shot to bits if he's picking the ball out of his own net several times a week.

We needed a solid, experienced, 30-something year old keeper to come in and do a decent job for us whilst mentoring Ted and grooming him as his successor. I wasn't expecting us to sign someone of Bentley's capability, but I'm not unreasonable for expecting a keeper far better than Oxley.

Brown has made a catastrophic error in recruiting poorly in that area. It's far too late to rectify it now and it's something that could end up hurting us badly by the time January comes.

Add it to the long and growing list of Brown's **** ups. I've had enough.

At half time we discussed that the game was there for the taking and that the ref had been the best so far this season. We did lament the lack of shooting from situations that demanded a swing at it (especially the hard working Mooney) plus the goal line clearance from McGlashen who should have scored.

But we came out all square 2nd half and then Thommo was harshly adjudged to have handled, poor by Oxley and O'Toole scores with his first touch.
Then we went headless chicken mode; pen for shirt pulling? red card? all very harsh and the ref seems to have found some BlueHate in the break, he became a right homer.
2 nil and as PB, rightly but unwisely, stated the game was over.
Some players seemed to shrink, notably Len, Cokes, Atko; but McGlashen, the sub Wordsworth, Mooney DID keep working 100%.
Before the 3rd goal the N'ton GK took the ball out of play, corner? not today, and 30 seconds later 3 nil.
Inniss practically had his shirt pulled off in their box, pen? not today.
4 nil.
JW gets good header saved but all too little.

On to Tuesday; if we play like first 45 minutes then we will be ok , BUT once again the half time talking really needs some work.

Oxley signing will cost Brown his job,solid teams are built around a good keeper who gives confidence to the back line and is decisive on calls .Not even an average league 2 keeper, unfortunately our season will be over by the time this mess is sorted out.

I've really nothing positive to say other than it was good to see Wordsworth on the pitch.

That was utterly soul destroying because...

a. after last week we had clearly turned a corner and we were all hopeful of getting something today
b. after 45 minutes we were more than in the game and should have been looking at getting a point at least
c. Northampton, weren't actually that good.
d. our second half performance was truly dreadful. Words do not do it justice.

It is absolutely clear we do not have a League One standard goalkeeper. Oxley nearly spilled one in the first half and was clearly culpable, even from the other end of the stadium, for the goal. You simply cannot parry shots like that at this level. McGlashen and Mooney ran all day but go support from the midfield. McLaughlin particularly guilty in this area.

I'd like to see the sending off again, because I don't understand how he came to that decision.

See you all at Rochdale.....

I said to somebody after the millwall win this just papers over the cracks which appeared today, None of these players are good enough for this division, we seem to want to blame the goal keepers at this club, but we do not have quality strickers yes Mooney worked hard, but he is not a goal scorrer, and as for Brown no chance of keeping this lot in this leauge time to go, NOW

We were the better team first half. Oxley messed up, heads dropped and we barely pressed the ball after that. The pen was harsh as they collided more than it was a deliberate trip, but Demi was the wrong side of his man. Clearly not a red card from seeing it again as the guy would probably not have to the ball anyway. 3rd goal, like the first came from a mystery free kick that the ref was the only person to spot an incident, but it was a quality finish from Matt Taylor and no fault on Oxley. We then kind of gave up, maybe mcglashan aside who kept trying. Ox should have saved the 4th but then again if the rest of the team were still playing someone would have looked to close the man down who was in our box with no one within 20 yards of him.

Chants of "This is embarrassing" and a muffled chant of "brown out" followed. I can't disagree.

I said to somebody after the millwall win this just papers over the cracks which appeared today, None of these players are good enough for this division, we seem to want to blame the goal keepers at this club, but we do not have quality strickers yes Mooney worked hard, but he is not a goal scorrer, and as for Brown no chance of keeping this lot in this leauge time to go, NOW

Mooney is not a target man and like cox is a poacher of goals. Playing either of them up top on there own is criminal.

I'm not sure I have ever seen a manager who is so devoid of getting a team to attack. Whilst we were keeping clean sheets and winning 1-0 it was accepted. The fact is that we don't score goals and can't keep a clean sheet. That is a recipe for certain relegation.

Brown has to go if we are to have any chance of staving off relegation and being mid table at best.

We have been leaking goals alarmingly since last Spring. The pairing of Thompson and Barratt looks vulnerable every time a cross comes in. We desperately need more height in the team, if fit then Innis and Ferdinand together could make a massive difference and it would probably be better to give Ted Smith another chance. At the other end of the pitch we also have problems, looking at today's starting lineup it was hard to see where the goals were going to come from. Phil Brown is under real pressure and his main downfall will be his very poor record in signing players, he has built this team and league tables don't lie. Hopefully he can turn things round but the odds are against him.

We have been leaking goals alarmingly since last Spring. The pairing of Thompson and Barratt looks vulnerable every time a cross comes in. We desperately need more height in the team, if fit then Innis and Ferdinand together could make a massive difference and it would probably be better to give Ted Smith another chance. At the other end of the pitch we also have problems, looking at today's starting lineup it was hard to see where the goals were going to come from. Phil Brown is under real pressure and his main downfall will be his very poor record in signing players, he has built this team and league tables don't lie. Hopefully he can turn things round but the odds are against him.

Browns record with players is horrendous....I mean Hunt, cost us loads of money...why did he sign a player who has played a few games in years...

Ferdinand? What has he been upto? Is he going to be a 1 match in 8 or 9 type...

He is a joke.... goal records, injury records, 90 mins played they are there to be used, he ignores them every time....now he is after a donkey who has been at countless clubs, but does not even have a club because know one wants him...plus he is at the end of his career.

judge me after the transfer window?

Oxley is obviously not good enough, problem is Ted isn't either :'(. The blame stops with Brown, how on earth did he think Oxley was good enough when Hibs supporters were slagging him off for his poor performances? Because he remembered him from the 'good old days' at Hull? If so, how pathetic, ignoring recent form for the fact he was 'highly rated' years ago. :angry:

Edit. - To be fair those calling Oxley the worst ever keeper obviously didn't see Prudhoe, he's running Emberson close at the moment though.

Last edited:
Oxley is obviously not good enough, problem is Ted isn't either :'(. The blame stops with Brown, how on earth did he think Oxley was good enough when Hibs supporters were slagging him off for his poor performances? Because he remembered him from the 'good old days' at Hull? If so, how pathetic, ignoring recent form for the fact he was 'highly rated' years ago. :angry:

Edit. - To be fair those calling Oxley the worst ever keeper obviously didn't see Prudhoe, he's running Emberson close at the moment though.

I'd go along with that but due respect to emberson and Prudhoe, they were around under dark days when staying in league 2 was the height of our ambitions.

We are a league one club now. We also had an opportunity to sign the players to make us a top 10 side. The opportunity has been wasted. I disagree that we are one of the poorest payers in the league.

We are miles from the top but given that the likes of rochdale bury etc average around 3k and us 6k+ we should have more than enough budget to compete.

Revell, beauty man, Taylor, zakuani why didn't we make an effort to sign them instead of chasing over the hill rejects and players clearly not good enough to play at this level.

Certainly not looking to pin all the blame on the keepers, christ we have other problems too! But no-one can deny that the goalkeeping situation is alarming and there is no way to solve it before January. And whose fault is that? Brown. And that's undeniable.

Back