• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Nov. 24 2005,13:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Nov. 24 2005,09:28)]Hullbridge Sports U18's vs Blackburn Rovers U18's in I think 1999, FA Youth Cup.
same here

Think hullbridge lost 5-0 didn't they IIRC.
Think it was 7-0 actually (though we can split the difference at 6 if you like
tounge.gif
). I remember current Hull striker Ben Burgess getting a hat-trick.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Nov. 24 2005,13:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Nov. 24 2005,13:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Nov. 24 2005,09:28)]Hullbridge Sports U18's vs Blackburn Rovers U18's in I think 1999, FA Youth Cup.
same here

Think hullbridge lost 5-0 didn't they IIRC.
Think it was 7-0 actually (though we can split the difference at 6 if you like  
tounge.gif
). I remember current Hull striker Ben Burgess getting a hat-trick.
That is correct. Remember now. If only the Hullbridge First Team could get to the third round - now that would be something to shout about!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Nov. 24 2005,12:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 24 2005,11:13)]Nah, don't do obscure.

Instead, I can sit here smugly knowing that no one on this site has been in a bigger crowd than I have at a football match...

wink.gif
Go on then, Matt... as no one else is polite enough to ask, when and where was that?
Knowing Matt used to live in Brazil...I'm guessing the Maracana, possibly for a Flu-Fla derby?

Mortain Reserves v Le Bourget Reserves in a Lower Normandy League match, during a year I spent living in France. They are bitter local (village) rivals, with a combined population of about 6,000, 300 of which turned up on a bitterly cold Sunday afternoon to watch one of the worst games of football I have ever witnessed. There was one hilarious incident in the second half where one of the linesmen, who'd just been told by a spectator what he thought of him, turned round and lamped the fan back!!

Fortunately that year I missed our last season in the old Div 1.

Bangor City v Bishop Auckland on a school football tour back in the early 90's. Fans swapped ends at half time!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ Nov. 24 2005,10:11)]Probably FC Torrevieja V CD Alone in the Spanish regional leagues, not sure how low down it was but the standard was pretty dire, as were the pitches.
Both play in the Spanish Third Division now after winning promotion last season through a set of play-offs from the Valencian Regional Preferente League, the one CD Jávea play in at the moment. The standard is indeed pretty dire at times but there's real passion and I wouldn't have anything else. The pitches are getting better - most clubs at this regional level have been laying artificial grass in recent months - but two or three still play on sand!

WS
Jávea

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Nov. 24 2005,09:57)]no Doubt Mike has Xabia vs the Catalonia Donkey Breeders Society reserves to tell us of  
smile.gif
Nah!

Best I can come up with is an ex-pats team from further down the coast that included Roy McDonough playing an ex-pats team from Jávea that included some lad who was released by Oldham Athletic last season. A 3-3 draw on goals and 2-1 on fights ...

WS

smile.gif

Going up to Grimo vs Southend during the Webby period our game was called off. It was December time. As it was -30oc at the time I was well up for going home by my Dad dragged me off to Rotherham vs Huddersfield 0-0 - Most boring Yorkshire Derby ever.

Also

Last day of season about 10 years we had someone obscure away so I went to Chesterfield vs Northampton with a mate. Wanted to see the star that is John Cornwall who was on loan from us but closest I got to him was in a betting shop in the town.

Mass fighting outside with Northampton taking a pasting. Half time Cobblers fans invade the pitch and charge the Chesterfield end. Like something out the 70's with blokes going toe-to-toe all round me. Mad day....

DtS

Marooned in Halifax one November week in the late 80's, I spotted in the local paper that Halifax Reserves were playing Barnsley Reserves in what was then called the Central League.
Can't remember the result, but do remember that Peter Springett(brother of ex international, Ron) was in goal for Barnsley.
smile.gif

Probably the most obscure match i have ever been to was Maidstone Untied Ladies v Chatham Town Ladies.
Was a Kent Ladies Premier game and was played infront of about 10 people.

The funniest thing was when I asked the linesman what the score was (as there had been many many goals) and he had lost count, someone thought it might be 14-5 to Maidstone.
I don't know what the score was but I went to a few more games each sunday and maidstone ladies used to knock 10-20 goals in each game, unsurprisingly they won the division.

A few Maidstone United fans who also went thought some of the ladies should be playing for the mens team, as they were and still are stuck in the Kent Energy Premier division, surely the lowest division an ex-league team are playing in.

Oxford V Wycome in early 2000 ish

Our game at Plymouth was called of because of snow i think and a coach load went to see this one.

We was in the Wycombe end singing we're wycombe till quarter to 5....

Funny times.

laugh.gif

Dagenham & Redbridge Reserves v Leyton Orient Reserves in the late 1990's. Can't remember the result, but there was only about 100 of us there.

We heard someone shout out 'Get away from the ball you f*cking fat c*nt'. We thought it was a fan shouting at one of the Orient players. Turned out to be one of the Dag & Red players saying it instead. Quite amusing....

Remember now I went to Chelmsford City vs Wisbech Town in 2001 with my Dad and his Wisbech-supporting mate. There was only 3 of us behind the goal and Wisbech scored (they'd gone 9 games without a goal if I remember) and my Dad's mate went absolutely ape-**** and virtually pulled the Wisbech scorer into the stand......so embarrassing for me and my Dad. He was the only Wisbech fan that night but was the loudest most drunken football fan you've ever seen in your life!!
biggrin.gif

Cracking 1st half, 2-2 at the break.....then after a MASSIVE downpour the game was called off without another ball being kicked and we went to the pub and got hammered!! Great times.....
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Nov. 24 2005,19:36)]and we went to the pub and got hammered!! Great times.....
wink.gif
I find that very hard to believe considering you don't drink
laugh.gif

Oh sorry mineral water seems to be your favourite at the moment. ho ho ho

Yes I only drink heavily on special occasions now and the aftermath of THAT game is one of the reasons why!!

Remember what you made me drink on my birthday this year do you Draft? Yes that was the last time I got hammered....you'll remember it also as we got "egged" by some chavs driving by in their rude-boy XR3i on the walk home
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ Nov. 24 2005,14:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Nov. 24 2005,12:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 24 2005,11:13)]Nah, don't do obscure.

Instead, I can sit here smugly knowing that no one on this site has been in a bigger crowd than I have at a football match...

wink.gif
Go on then, Matt... as no one else is polite enough to ask, when and where was that?
Knowing Matt used to live in Brazil...I'm guessing the Maracana, possibly for a Flu-Fla derby?
Ah, SiaK - you are a gent, sire... I was secretly hoping that someone would ask.

biggrin.gif

SotSU - v. impressive knowledge, sir! Ah, if only I'd got to see a Fla v. Flu - back in the early 80s, though, the rivalry was somewhat in abeyance as Fluminense were pretty poor at the time.

Also very well remembered, I presume, that I'm a Menguista. They were the biggest team in Rio, where we were living at the time. We were persuaded to become Menguistas by Regina, the girl who used to baby-sit my sister and me, since she was going out with one of the club groundsmen. She even got him to sneak us into the training ground so that we could meet the Brazilian football squad as they were training for the 1982 World Cup. Zico, Socrates, Junior, Alemão, Falcão... awesome!

biggrin.gif

Spot on with the Maracanã, though. The game was the Brazilian Championship final in 1983 - which was then run much like the rugby championships are run today in England, where all the top sides at the end of the regular season play off to produce two teams for the "final"... which in fact was a two-legged affair.

However, after all that to-ing and fro-ing, the final was Flamengo v. Santos. Santos won the first leg 2-1, and then came to the Maracanã for the second leg. Dad took my sis & me, and I just remember an unbelievable atmosphere... a wall of noise, a melee of flags and fans, and the unceasing rhythm of the samba baterias. As for the game itself, I don't remember much... I think Zico scored practically from the kick-off, and Flamengo won 3-1 in front of a gate of...

cool.gif

I can beat that for impressing people.
Went to visit my brother in February 1995 at Kent Uni. He asked me to watch him play hockey that afternoon. Rather rudely for a 14 year old being asked to watch his older brother play hockey, I declined.
Oh yes, I tootled along and watched Canterbury City v Kent Police (Winstonlead Kent League) on my own. Rather daunting - and sad - for a 14 year old.
It was 6-0 to Canterbury City and there were about 40 people there, all watching from the comfort of the bar. Of course, I felt right at home considering I couldn't drink and I knew no-one.
Then I got drunk at his Uni and pulled one of his ugly mates. (She must have been bad - I was 14, she was 18)
Very strange day all round.

No amount of drink could excuse pulling that, bruv - not even in the dark!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 25 2005,01:00)]...155,253.

cool.gif
wow.gif

Blimey - I'm not suprised you remember that!

Not much point starting a "Biggest Game" thread then...

upside.gif

Back