• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official site virus?

ShrimperJim

Coach
Just found this on Shrimpers.net:

All,

Please note that the official site has a virus that installs MSN Messenger (Spanish Version) and a package of applications titled MIS Programs. Ensure that you have adequate system software to check viruses, if you don't download.com offers trails of Norton s/ware.

Just thought I would let people know.

Dave, if your lurking, is there any truth to this?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShrimperJim @ June 07 2004,13:36)]Please note that the official site has a virus that installs MSN Messenger (Spanish Version)
I blame Mike after he supplied his articles...

tounge.gif

OK, just saw it and thought i'd ask.

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, maybe this guy has a spyware problem.

Well I did get this rather strange pop up trying to install some Spanish Software in my machine last night. Luckily i have the sense to just say no. Dave I would check with FLPTV what the feck this pop-up is all about it. As it does seem a little odd and does smack of a virus.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ June 07 2004,14:31)]Guys do you know what advert and company this is coming from?
No I don't but I swear some Spaniard was trying to 'groom' me last night.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ June 07 2004,14:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ June 07 2004,14:31)]Guys do you know what advert and company this is coming from?
No I don't but I swear some Spaniard was trying to 'groom' me last night.....
thats was probaly just Mike
biggrin.gif

Yeah, possibly.

OUCH! It still hurts thinking about it ...

Scriv (and anyone else who is interested):-

I have mega protection against viruses, spyware, adware, hijacking etc etc. And I have it set up to tell me what goes on rather than just deal with it in the background.

There is no sign of any virus on the official site - certainly nothing that installs MSN Messenger in any language. HOWEVER, every time I visit the official site, my "dodgy download blocker" program warns me that it has intercepted an attempt to install something called "DoubleClick", which it describes as a "known threat" - not a virus (which is something that replicates itself &/or sends itself to all your friends &/or does nasty things to your computer) but spyware, which tracks your internet usage.

The very worst tracker programs can redirect you to pages that they claim would be of interest to you because of their analysis of your internet usage, whilst others may cause pop-ups to appear that you naturally assume are connected to the site you're visiting when in fact this is not the case. Others seem to be doing nothing more than "behind the scenes" market research, which nonetheless doesn't mean that you want it on your PC!

In the case of DoubleClick, my "dodgy download blocker" program's associated help states that it:-

"Uses information about your web surfing… that could include any information, like accounts and passwords".

DoubleClick's own privacy policy states that:-

"No personal information is used by DoubleClick to deliver Internet ads. DoubleClick does not use your name, address, email address, or phone number to deliver Internet ads. DoubleClick does use information about your browser and web surfing to determine which ads to show your browser".

Which seems pretty ambiguous to me (and pretty undesirable)!

Anyway, a good write-up on Doubleclick can be found at:-

http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/d/doubleclick.asp

This includes the fact that they can:-

"Tie cookie histories to personal identifying information, such as your phone number and address. In fact, a California woman sued DoubleClick for just that behavior".

Which doesn't quite fit in with their privacy policy, does it?

I have to wonder why this "threat" is on the official site, as I've never seen it anywhere else on the Net (and I have been known to visit some quite interesting sites over the years!  
laugh.gif
). BUT I have seen it on other clubs' sites run by the premium TV people, so it seems to be standard for them.

Hope this helps.

PS I strongly advise everyone to install something like PestPatrol to protect against these things. I especially recommend Spybot Search & Destroy, which is free and which you can get from download.com

Can you recommend any good free virus checkers that automatically update?

I was using Avast! but it is slow and sometimes has problems downloading updates.

I use the free edition of AVG - www.grisoft.com

I'm still using version 6, which is still fully supported, and have no idea what the free version is now but it'll either still be version 6 or an equally suitable free edition of version 7. Anyway, it's always done its job well for me and has an excellent reputation. As for auto updates, well, I just update when I want to (regularly though) but I think you may be able to schedule it - don't quote me on this though!

Hope this helps.

Yeah AVG can do auto updates as I have set it up on my sister's PC.

Dave - cannot remember too much about it. If it appears again I will let you know.

I've spoken to FLPTV and they have tracked down the advert. It appears that it was sold by an advertising company that works on their behalf. FLPTV don't except these sort of adverts but this one has slipped through. They have asked for it to be removed straight away.

Sorry for any problems!

Dave

Something's gone a bit funny on the site, that's for sure... Just gone to the "Football Today" section, and in the Division 3 News part of that page, I saw this story:

<span style='color:blue'>Southend Iron Out Third Deal

Southend have completed their third summer signing following the announcement that Notts County’s Ian Baraclough will wear the claret and blue next season.</span>

Either:

(a) It's the wrong SUFC; or
(b) There's been a massive gaffe, and the club has inadvertently revealed that we'll be wearing claret & blue next season in order to appeal to local West Ham fans, as well as new sponors Betterview, whose chairman is from West Ham and used to support them...

wow.gif
rock.gif

Matt

I&#39;d say the title suggests it&#39;s Sc**thorpe &quot;Iron Out Third Deal&quot; ...

WS

Back