• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

superblue24

Director
I am pleased with the signing of Lee Sawyer, but would be disappointed if we don't see at least one additional face before the window closes. At the moment, I would shape the team around these players.

Morris(?)

???, Mohsni, Barker, ???

Hall, Grant, Sawyer, ???

Sturrock/Corr, ???

In short, I feel we need 2 full backs, an exciting winger and either an experienced forward, or an "impact" forward with pace and one who knows where the onion bag is.

We need to ditch Coughlan, Soares, Spencer, Paterson, Bouzid, Prosser and keep the rest for cover and competition.

Discuss.....

Harsh on Clohessy who you've not mentioned and who's been one of the best players this year! Push Barker to LB and Phillips trust me is a decent centre half (according to my Brentford supporting mate).

Also you seem to have overlooked Easton who has got better and better recently. Play Sawyer wide.

I'd say ditch Spencer, Bouzid and Prosser with the others as squad players who will all be fine to cover.

The problem is when we have more than 3 squad players in the side, which unfortunately has been a lot of the time.

Also... Sawyer is a great POTENTIAL player...he needs to do the business so lets stop putting all our faith in him. He conceded a stupid last minute penalty at Walsall to lose us 2 points and if that had gone in we may have escaped relegation last season. I'm delighted he's back but he does need to show us the form he showed us originally.

Last edited:
I am pleased with the signing of Lee Sawyer, but would be disappointed if we don't see at least one additional face before the window closes. At the moment, I would shape the team around these players.

Morris(?)

???, Mohsni, Barker, ???

Hall, Grant, Sawyer, ???

Sturrock/Corr, ???

In short, I feel we need 2 full backs, an exciting winger and either an experienced forward, or an "impact" forward with pace and one who knows where the onion bag is.

We need to ditch Coughlan, Soares, Spencer, Paterson, Bouzid, Prosser and keep the rest for cover and competition.

Discuss.....

What about Easton, the Club captain, cant see he not being include ! Also, in respect of the Coughlan, think its a tad unfair, yes he probably isnt first choice, but I wouldnt ditch him and see him as a good back up. Also, I think he works well with Barker and speaks alot on the pitch. Our problem isnt our defence, if you look at the league, our goals against is one of the best, its up front where we are struggling, this is just strikers, but creativity from the middle. I dont see a great deal wrong with our squad as a whole, we need a couple more "1st team" additions granted, but I am fairly happy, considering at the turn of the season we had 3 players signed !! Also just noticed that youve dropped Cohlessy, whats wrong with him, he has been one of our better players this season and is a more than ample replacement for Franno in this league.

Sturrock's made it quite clear that he harbours Prosser as "one for the future", so I don't think he'll be cast out as quickly as others. He's also on a pittance of a wage in comparison to other members of the squad. I'd say get rid of Spencer and Bouzid, possibly Herd (Gilbert, Barker and Comminges are all adept in that position) and see if we can find another prospect who can play on either flank in midfield.

I am pleased with the signing of Lee Sawyer, but would be disappointed if we don't see at least one additional face before the window closes.

Blimey can we not keep the "Lee Sawyer Wave of Optimism"™ going until at least kick-off?

for me and out and out winger is must. soares should not be classed a footballer yet alone a winger. so that leaves us with hall as the only winger at the club and I can see sawyer playing the josh simpson role on the right. but we need someone to bring off the bench and someone who has the ability to run with the ball. other than that another striker as per normal wouldn't hurt things.

I thought about Clohessey and Easton and I knew I'd get questioned.

Clohessey I am really unsure about. When he plays well, he plays very well.....But when he plays badly, he can be pretty awful.

Easton. Hmmmm. Is he better than Grant and Sawyer in the middle? I agree that he might bring a bit of discipline to the middle, but do we not feel that Grant could be just as capable.

You'd notice that I didn't say to get shot of them, just that they might not necessarily command a place in their berth for me.

Easton is captain, but does that make him immune?

P.S. Get rid of Gilbert as well....I missed him off.

EDIT: Of course there is always the option to go 4-5-1 which then would accomodate Easton (for me)....But I feel that I would then be looking for a different striker to Corr and Sturrock (Dont get me wrong, I rate them both, but not as a lone striker)

Last edited:
for me and out and out winger is must. soares should not be classed a footballer yet alone a winger. so that leaves us with hall as the only winger at the club and I can see sawyer playing the josh simpson role on the right. but we need someone to bring off the bench and someone who has the ability to run with the ball. other than that another striker as per normal wouldn't hurt things.

Maybe a pacey winger who knows where the goal is. I noticed Demontagnac was snapped up byu Blackpool in July. Someone we trialled about this time last year for a game or two. I still feel he could have been a great prospect, but admit that discipline could well have been a factor.

Not intended to be a pessimistic thread, just a "where does the team go from here" in terms of strengthening discussion

you are right though to bring this up, a great and popular signing can sometimes pave over the cracks and make you forget about the other posistions that need improving. wouldn't be surprised if sawyer did try to do everything himself haha.

Maybe a pacey winger who knows where the goal is. I noticed Demontagnac was snapped up byu Blackpool in July. Someone we trialled about this time last year for a game or two. I still feel he could have been a great prospect, but admit that discipline could well have been a factor.

He's on loan at Stockport and scored on his debut.

Back