• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Posted in 'Programmes' thread but thought it would fit into this thread if missed there.

Kindly sent this programme by wakes123 as it was my first ever game.

Will be framed & placed in a suitable position in the home after, hopefully, a short negotiation with my good wife! (A flag celebrating 'Going Up to the Championship 2006' that I was given in the Spread after the Bristol City game, and somehow returned with me to London, found its way on the wall, of the loo, which it remains to this day, thanks dear!)

What a team that was, though sadly I wasn't quite aware of that at the time, aged 10!

Not sure if any of those firms advertising are going today as well 😄 (Any idea of the goal being scored on the front cover?)

Attachments

• 20231019_121044.jpg
    20231019_121044.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20231019_121221.jpg
    20231019_121221.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Posted in 'Programmes' thread but thought it would fit into this thread if missed there.

Will be framed & placed in a suitable position in the home after, hopefully, a short negotiation with my good wife! (A flag celebrating 'Going Up to the Championship 2006' that I was given in the Spread after the Bristol City game, and somehow returned with me to London, found its way on the wall, of the loo, which it remains to this day, thanks dear!)

What a team that was, though sadly I wasn't quite aware of that at the time, aged 10!

Not sure if any of those firms advertising are going today as well 😄 (Any idea of the goal being scored on the front cover?)

Hard to tell who is scoring ..... or is Trevor Roberts pushing it round the post as he did so often? (there might be a "cover photo" description on the inside page - have you looked?)
Refwatch - Danny Lyden from Birmingham was a goalkeeper for Walsall and Bradford City in his playing days. Made a FIFA international referee some 5 years after this match

Hard to tell who is scoring ..... or is Trevor Roberts pushing it round the post as he did so often? (there might be a "cover photo" description on the inside page - have you looked?)
Refwatch - Danny Lyden from Birmingham was a goalkeeper for Walsall and Bradford City in his playing days. Made a FIFA international referee some 5 years after this match
Yes, I had 'cheated' & it was in fact a Southend goal scored by Tony Beanland on the previous Tuesday's 4-0 home defeat of Aldershot in front of 6,824! I'll take both of those stats when we play them again next Feb. 😄

Great to see those Mid-week League fixtures, (I thought the full title was the London Mid-week League then), went along to a few of them back in the day, and that the QPR away fixture was postponed Dec. 6, bad weather in West London I wonder? (My part of the world now!)

However, 2 home fixtures against them later on, was one of them the Rodney Marsh return game or too early, next season perhaps?

Attachments

• 20231021_130732.jpg
    20231021_130732.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20231021_130745.jpg
    20231021_130745.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20231021_130759.jpg
    20231021_130759.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 23
A crazy game. And a free kick from Freddy, every bit as good as the Man U. one.
I was there that day, towards the right of the away end, fairly certain that's the first time I've seen highlights!

I've given 2 players 10 out of 10 over the years, and Freddie got one of them after that display. Even with ten men, I'd forgotten they had the guy sent off, I felt Chesterfield were the better side on the day but Freddie, on his own really, look at his goals, dragged us back and got the win.

I've been to their place twice and seen us win both times, seem to remember the other a 1-0 mugging in the snow, need some help on that one!!

A crazy game. And a free kick from Freddy, every bit as good as the Man U. one.
Have added the link to my hattrick thread.

In case anyone fancies an afternoon hunting around YouTube that thread is still missing the footage of:
Freddy v Bristol City
Lee Bradbury
Lee Barnard v Orient
Julian Hails
Leon Cort
Andy Ansah
David Crown and everyone else pre 1990

Home Programme 1934 v Aldershot and 1948 v Charlton. Don't recognise any of our team for the Aldershot game and the only one in the Charlton game was Les Stubbs.In 1952 we sold him to Chelsea for I think £10,000..In 1958 we signed him back for 2 seasons.
Born and buried in Great Wakering he ended his playing days with Great Wakering Rovers and remember him playing against Rayleigh Town at KG Fields probably 1967 where he still showed his skills. My brother ogshrimper played against him that day.
His granddaughter works in my local Waitrose.

Attachments

• 20231206_084205.jpg
    20231206_084205.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20231206_084313.jpg
    20231206_084313.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20231206_084341.jpg
    20231206_084341.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20231206_084400.jpg
    20231206_084400.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 23
Home Programme 1934 v Aldershot and 1948 v Charlton. Don't recognise any of our team for the Aldershot game and the only one in the Charlton game was Les Stubbs.In 1952 we sold him to Chelsea for I think £10,000..In 1958 we signed him back for 2 seasons.
Born and buried in Great Wakering he ended his playing days with Great Wakering Rovers and remember him playing against Rayleigh Town at KG Fields probably 1967 where he still showed his skills. My brother ogshrimper played against him that day.
His granddaughter works in my local Waitrose.
And Les started his career with the Rovers as well as finished it there. I played with him when he was in his 50s for the 3rd team! I wasn't very good......

Whilst at Chelsea he was part of the team that won the League and they didn't do that again until the Abramovich era 50 years later.

Oh.... and I married his daughter.

I don’t know whether this has been posted before. You’ll forgive me for not trawling through. How sparse was the East?????

There was a reason the East was sparse back then…

We use to back then have different prices for different stands and the east was the most expensive (this was in the 90s) then we streamlined it all to one price and it was more popular

I was there that day, towards the right of the away end, fairly certain that's the first time I've seen highlights!

I've given 2 players 10 out of 10 over the years, and Freddie got one of them after that display. Even with ten men, I'd forgotten they had the guy sent off, I felt Chesterfield were the better side on the day but Freddie, on his own really, look at his goals, dragged us back and got the win.

I've been to their place twice and seen us win both times, seem to remember the other a 1-0 mugging in the snow, need some help on that one!!
me @* ORM * and @Napster were there as well up the back behind the goal.
I forgot they had a sending off as well

Back