• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The current issue of BACKPASS magazine has just landed on my doormat and it contains a team photo of the 1964/65 Southend team.

It was about 5 years before I started watching but I remember the names and both Bentley and Beesley were playing in 1969 when I started.

View attachment 4490
View attachment 4491

For those who don't know BACKPASS, it is bi-monthly and subscription only - not in shops as I understand. It is retro football from the 60's and 70's and right up my street. Brilliantly nostalgic. I thoroughly recommend it to any fans in their 50's or above.

WOW, look at that kit. I hope one day we play in a retro kit for one season, voted by Southend fans. That would be in the list for me.

For those who don't know BACKPASS, it is bi-monthly and subscription only - not in shops as I understand. It is retro football from the 60's and 70's and right up my street. Brilliantly nostalgic. I thoroughly recommend it to any fans in their 50's or above.

Bstard, you've just cost me £14+ for the latest copies of BACKPASS and its cricket equivalent BACKSPIN (though the latter seems to have been discontinued now). Quite expensive to get sent to a non-UK address but as you say it looks like it hits the spot for 50-somethings. My first game was in 66-67 so I recognise quite a few from the photo. And agree, that looks a great kit, even if it also looks like it will give you a headache if you keep staring at it!.

Bstard, you've just cost me £14+ for the latest copies of BACKPASS and its cricket equivalent BACKSPIN (though the latter seems to have been discontinued now). Quite expensive to get sent to a non-UK address but as you say it looks like it hits the spot for 50-somethings. My first game was in 66-67 so I recognise quite a few from the photo. And agree, that looks a great kit, even if it also looks like it will give you a headache if you keep staring at it!.

You can buy Backpass at WH Smiths .

Anyone know anything about a joint Cambridge United/Southend United team?
4564248988_283x420.jpg

Trevor Roberts is seen on this in 1966. In the 1966/67 season, Trevor Roberts was Player of the season.

great clip,but in that clip V Forest...i think i saw Nobbler & DoDTS(Peter)????:smile:

Just seen the clip from 1967 re the market.apparently we were £60,000 in the red but on the way to financial stability.50 years on something went seriously wrong

My first ever season ticket was in the North Paddock. Happy memories of Friday night under the lights, onions, pessimism about us ever getting out of lower two tiers and bad language from grown up's.

southend-united-roots-hall-east-stand-2-1970s-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

Great photo 'Kev'.

When's that taken? .. I'd say around mid-seventies?

Difficult to say Andy. The alphabetic half time scores give a clue I guess. I initially thought the Jobbo era as weeds growing through concrete which I do not remember earlier. However, Vic would have sold that space for advertising and I can hardly remember that lettering along South Paddock wall.

Difficult to say Andy. The alphabetic half time scores give a clue I guess. I initially thought the Jobbo era as weeds growing through concrete which I do not remember earlier. However, Vic would have sold that space for advertising and I can hardly remember that lettering along South Paddock wall.

Yep, it's difficult to exactly date it, but has a seventies feel about it, with the limited advertising.

One thing you do get from that picture is how good the view was from the South Bank. I'd say that shot is taken about 1/2 way up, so those who never experienced it, imagine what the view was like from the top! :thumbsup::cool:

Did a bit of digging on that website and the below link should be a 1960's shot of the East Bank :-

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/...nd-1-bw-1960s-legendary-football-grounds.html

If you then scroll "prev" on the link, there's 'Kev's' picture and a couple more before that.

I couldn't seem to copy & paste them on here, individually, but if you haven't seen them, worth a quick scroll through. Superb shot of the North Bank in there.

Also, some old photos of other grounds included, as well.

Apologies if they have been posted before.

Did a bit of digging on that website and the below link should be a 1960's shot of the East Bank :-

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/...nd-1-bw-1960s-legendary-football-grounds.html

If you then scroll "prev" on the link, there's 'Kev's' picture and a couple more before that.

I couldn't seem to copy & paste them on here, individually, but if you haven't seen them, worth a quick scroll through. Superb shot of the North Bank in there.

Also, some old photos of other grounds included, as well.

Apologies if they have been posted before.
Think I might go for the shower curtain:smile:

Back