• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

those days the police,thank god!!,had no idea what was going on,anywhere!!!
This was the 70s....and they were still DIXON of Dockgreen...
We would talk about..sing about --where,what were going to do!!!!
Normally we would meet up,top of the high st,then loads of us ..off to..Wdon,Bford,etc...not one copper..
nowadays..thank god..police everywhere...they know before you do whats up...but the police WERE very slow then......evening all

My first game 43 years ago. Stood in the West stand as a boy with dad, then later on my own in the North bank as a teenager. Remember catching the bus from Rettendon to Southend, alas none of my mates liked footy. But i was part of a David Webb era and life as a Southend fan was quite good under Webby. Pie at halftimes with dad and a cuppa. Walking along the West stand at halftime to be closer to the end we were attacking. Big games at various years of supporting, i recall Cambridge United with their physical side. I remember a very loud Leicester City on a Saturday, getting the better of us. Recall an away fan from oop north coming into the North bank with an iron bar and offering it to all (Scunthorpe?). Fri nights under the lights, incredible banter and fantastic memories. My boy is 12 now, going since he was 4, on and off. He's seen us win at Wembley! Some great memories on this thread. Liverpool in the snow when i was 12, standing packed in like sardines in the open vast South bank. Club really become a part of our lives.

My first game 43 years ago. Stood in the West stand as a boy with dad, then later on my own in the North bank as a teenager. Remember catching the bus from Rettendon to Southend, alas none of my mates liked footy. But i was part of a David Webb era and life as a Southend fan was quite good under Webby. Pie at halftimes with dad and a cuppa. Walking along the West stand at halftime to be closer to the end we were attacking. Big games at various years of supporting, i recall Cambridge United with their physical side. I remember a very loud Leicester City on a Saturday, getting the better of us. Recall an away fan from oop north coming into the North bank with an iron bar and offering it to all (Scunthorpe?). Fri nights under the lights, incredible banter and fantastic memories. My boy is 12 now, going since he was 4, on and off. He's seen us win at Wembley! Some great memories on this thread. Liverpool in the snow when i was 12, standing packed in like sardines in the open vast South bank. Club really become a part of our lives.

yes its nice to see and read others post about their memories.

In my years attending home matches between 83-98 I sat / stood in all areas. I always remember the crowd in the West moving at H/T to be nearer to (hoped for) action at the end we were attacking.

How's this for an anecdote - Having moved up North I decided to have two stag dos one in Southend and then one in Sheffield, it was perhaps providence that two weeks before my wedding Southend were at Home to York and then the weekend before they were playing at Rotherham.

So I drag a load of my Yorkshire mates down to meet my southern chums and take in the game. It was the dark period Steve Jones was upfront, Gordon Connelly in midfield, Scott Houghton on the wing, Dave Morely in defence with the splendid Mel Capleton in nets / jeez were weren't good in those days. The game was a numbingly dull 0-0 draw.

Nevermind lads I said next week when we play the Millers we'll at least see a goal - so fast forward to the following week, we all pile over and sit in the away end at Millmoor to witness a hard working Southend claim another 0-0 draw at the high flying promotion chasing Millers!

So two stag dos two matches and 0 fecking goals! ah happy memories:smile:

Been clearing out and going through old newspapers and thought some of these old celebration photos were worth another look at.....Happy memories 20170301_160726.jpg

Great pics 'Chairman'.

I'm on the terrace, there, at both matches, but can't make out if I'm in shot, yet.

Great days! :happy:

Great pics 'Chairman'.

I'm on the terrace, there, at both matches, but can't make out if I'm in shot, yet.

Great days! :happy:

These were great days to be following the Blues home and away. A life before marriage and children with Football, Beer & Curries the staple diet of life. My home was either on a coach to far distant crappy grounds or in the Bar at the Railway where for exercise we went for a run once a week then a workout in the gym in the outbuilding behind the pub before a few more beers.
OH HAPPY DAYS !

Been clearing out and going through old newspapers and thought some of these old celebration photos were worth another look at.....Happy memories View attachment 4559

Sorry, i know i have already 'spoken' to this photo once but it brings back so many memories. And in mitigation i didn't have time early to respond fully.

Infact, this whole thread has been wonderful for me and i guess a host of other 'oldies'. I too was at both London Road and Gigg Lane on those memorable days.

Kevin Hogg (I remember you from way back. We were both in the same year at Westleigh Junior School, you went on to SHSB (?) me Belfairs). But, Kevin, can i offer you this image of me for your 'Post a pic' thread? In the photo there is a post with a guy wearing a white cap. Look above him and then count (going to the right of the post) one, two, three. I am the third person along, proudly sporting my 'Chrissy Waddle' Mullet hair cut. The fourth person wearing not sunglasses but reactalight glasses was my mate, Phil Reeve, a Chester City fan!

After the Benji goal, and the celebrations of our promotion to the second tier of English Football for the first time we left and 'bumped' into Vic Jobson in the Bury carpark (or something like that - memory fades). I obviously congratulated him and chatted briefly with him about the match and promotion. He then told us that he was off to try and buy some bottles of Champagne as David Webb had refused [superstitiously (?)] to take any on the team coach. I said goodbye to Vic who hurried away to find the fizz. My mate Phil asked who i had been talking to. When i told him it was the Chairman of SUFC he was amazed.

The encounter with Vic wasn't that amazing.

However, the result and all that it meant was.

Happy, happy days...

PS. Kevin, trust you are enjoying your early (!!!) retirement (?) in Spain.:angry:

Sorry, i know i have already 'spoken' to this photo once but it brings back so many memories. And in mitigation i didn't have time early to respond fully.

Infact, this whole thread has been wonderful for me and i guess a host of other 'oldies'. I too was at both London Road and Gigg Lane on those memorable days.

Kevin Hogg (I remember you from way back. We were both in the same year at Westleigh Junior School, you went on to SHSB (?) me Belfairs). But, Kevin, can i offer you this image of me for your 'Post a pic' thread? In the photo there is a post with a guy wearing a white cap. Look above him and then count (going to the right of the post) one, two, three. I am the third person along, proudly sporting my 'Chrissy Waddle' Mullet hair cut. The fourth person wearing not sunglasses but reactalight glasses was my mate, Phil Reeve, a Chester City fan!

After the Benji goal, and the celebrations of our promotion to the second tier of English Football for the first time we left and 'bumped' into Vic Jobson in the Bury carpark (or something like that - memory fades). I obviously congratulated him and chatted briefly with him about the match and promotion. He then told us that he was off to try and buy some bottles of Champagne as David Webb had refused [superstitiously (?)] to take any on the team coach. I said goodbye to Vic who hurried away to find the fizz. My mate Phil asked who i had been talking to. When i told him it was the Chairman of SUFC he was amazed.

The encounter with Vic wasn't that amazing.

However, the result and all that it meant was.

Happy, happy days...

PS. Kevin, trust you are enjoying your early (!!!) retirement (?) in Spain.:angry:

Haha...retired?Iwish. SHSB was wasted on me!
Westleigh... wow that was a long time ago. If you live in Crowstone Rd - we were neighbours until last year. I was round the corner in Kings Road.
Who are ya? Who are ya? Haha.

After the Benji goal, and the celebrations of our promotion to the second tier of English Football for the first time we left and 'bumped' into Vic Jobson in the Bury carpark (or something like that - memory fades).

The Bury Car Park, after the game, there was a fella selling "promotion" t-shirts and flags, IIRC.

We all bought one each and I still have my t-shirt in the loft somewhere.

Remember getting back to the Shirmpers Club that evening and partying until dawn, collecting the car from the RH Car Park on the Sunday afternoon, where people were still celebrating.

Amazing times!

We stopped at a service station south of Bury and saw people with picnic tables and chairs drinking Champagne. Got to a pub in Cheshire and we're greeted by Crewe Alex fans who had been relegated. The " weren't we in the same division this morning...now two apart" did not go down. well. We celebrated big time!

Last edited:
Lots of faces there. I can only see yself in bus parade pic..
Looking at the pics of Marilyn - she must of been around as long as Nobbler..if she still goes?

At Bury due to over heavy-handed policing a fan standing in-front of my Father-in-Law and me was arrested. We got access to the cells to let the police know they had got it wrong. Now, Bury police may have been over officious, but they were not the brightest and as made no attempt to stop us leaving by a door that led straight to the players tunnel and dressing rooms. Bingo. At the final whistle we was stood in the players tunnel and also wandered into the dressing room when players came off the pitch...until we were sussed out and led out by our ear'oles!

Back