• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nobby Snide

I saw this in one our local papers, and I just wanted to see what your thaughts are, especially if you are one of the recreational drug takers mentioned.

'Columbias vice-president, Fancisco Santos Calderon, appealed last week to recreational cocaine users in the UK to ponder the impact on Latin America's vanishing rainforests before pandering to their tastes. He told a conference for senior police officers, that not only did land mines protecting plantations and processing laboratries kill 900 Columbians each year, but 30,000 hectares of rainforest were destroyed for coca cultivation. he did not say in so many words that middle-class users were hypocrites, but he did point out they were often concientious individuals who drove hybrid cars, recycled and were concerned about the environment. Perhaps santos's stats will succeed where the law has failed, by persueding users with green conciences, not only in Britain, but throughout the West, that once and for all, the time has come for them to put their money where there mouths are, not their noses.'

I find that astonishing.

Also the recent insight how Coca-cola behave in these countries towards farmers, and individuals as well as how much land is dissapearng to pasture, in able to supply Macdonalds and Burger King.

Does any of this concern people enough to stop your habits?

I think he failed to criticise Coca Cola , the choclate firms as well as Beef producers quite as wmuch (most deforestation was for cattle herds for teh American burgur chains)

I think he failed to criticise Coca Cola , the choclate firms as well as Beef producers quite as wmuch (most deforestation was for cattle herds for teh American burgur chains)

I know..that surprised me a little, maybe it just wasnt mentioned in this news article?

That Amazon series had a great episode where they showed what goes into the drug trade.

Unbelievable how shoddy the making of this stuff is. Bleach, meths, hyrdochloric acid... it takes literally gallons of all of these and about another 7 chemicals to extract a few handfuls of cocaine. Its a tricky problem though; without the drug trade, there is no work for the locals - but equally with it, they run the risk of arrest or death?

I saw this in one our local papers, and I just wanted to see what your thaughts are, especially if you are one of the recreational drug takers mentioned.

'Columbias vice-president, Fancisco Santos Calderon, appealed last week to recreational cocaine users in the UK to ponder the impact on Latin America's vanishing rainforests before pandering to their tastes. He told a conference for senior police officers, that not only did land mines protecting plantations and processing laboratries kill 900 Columbians each year, but 30,000 hectares of rainforest were destroyed for coca cultivation. he did not say in so many words that middle-class users were hypocrites, but he did point out they were often concientious individuals who drove hybrid cars, recycled and were concerned about the environment. Perhaps santos's stats will succeed where the law has failed, by persueding users with green conciences, not only in Britain, but throughout the West, that once and for all, the time has come for them to put their money where there mouths are, not their noses.'

I find that astonishing.

Also the recent insight how Coca-cola behave in these countries towards farmers, and individuals as well as how much land is dissapearng to pasture, in able to supply Macdonalds and Burger King.

Does any of this concern people enough to stop your habits?

Interesting post SS.

With regards the drugs part...can't say I've ever used any substances, and I don't think the links he's making between concientious individuals & drug takers is correct, but maybe that's just me. I tend to think of cocaine user's as either poor people who end up stealing to fund their habit or rich selfish idiots who only care about themselves anyway, maybe that's wrong. So those facts might stop a handful maybe but not many I wouldn't have thought.

As for Coca-Cola & McDonald's etc.

Coca-Cola's actions are deplorable, i saw a documentary about it a while back, taking remote villages water supply aswell. I don't drink a great deal of fizzy drinks anyway, just occasionally, but it does make me more wary.

Well I think the land clearance for cattle for McD & BK is pretty well known, and I'm sure I was taught about that at school over 10 years ago.
Personally I don't eat at any of the big fast food companies mainly because I think the food is crap (and I'm veggie), and knowing how they behave puts me off ever going back. I think both McD & BK could take a leaf out of the coffee companies books, I know starbucks is still poor in it's behaviour but both starbucks & costas have recently signed up to 'rainforest friendly' initiatives, one signs up so the other follows suit so they don't look bad - so if one fast food company did this the rest would follow i think. Having said that just how 'rainforest friendly' are these schmes? any improvement is good i suppose.

But then i don't drink coffee either. I may not eat at the fast food places or drink coffee and avoid CC but I'm sure there's still plenty of products I consume that are responsible for destruction of the planet / poor living conditions. We should do more, but we can't help wanting stuff either!

Interesting post SS.

With regards the drugs part...can't say I've ever used any substances, and I don't think the links he's making between concientious individuals & drug takers is correct, but maybe that's just me. I tend to think of cocaine user's as either poor people who end up stealing to fund their habit or rich selfish idiots who only care about themselves anyway, maybe that's wrong. So those facts might stop a handful maybe but not many I wouldn't have thought.

As for Coca-Cola & McDonald's etc.

Coca-Cola's actions are deplorable, i saw a documentary about it a while back, taking remote villages water supply aswell. I don't drink a great deal of fizzy drinks anyway, just occasionally, but it does make me more wary.

Well I think the land clearance for cattle for McD & BK is pretty well known, and I'm sure I was taught about that at school over 10 years ago.
Personally I don't eat at any of the big fast food companies mainly because I think the food is crap (and I'm veggie), and knowing how they behave puts me off ever going back. I think both McD & BK could take a leaf out of the coffee companies books, I know starbucks is still poor in it's behaviour but both starbucks & costas have recently signed up to 'rainforest friendly' initiatives, one signs up so the other follows suit so they don't look bad - so if one fast food company did this the rest would follow i think. Having said that just how 'rainforest friendly' are these schmes? any improvement is good i suppose.

But then i don't drink coffee either. I may not eat at the fast food places or drink coffee and avoid CC but I'm sure there's still plenty of products I consume that are responsible for destruction of the planet / poor living conditions. We should do more, but we can't help wanting stuff either!

I'm the same as you on all your reply, except I tried to be veggie..lasted about a month, but I wont eat burgers or kfc for that matter.

I worked at a restaurant where the owners not only partook of said substance, But are/were in the import/export side of the powder. Also staff were selling it, as well as other drugs from the premises. So yes, totally agree, stupid rich and stupid poor.

cheers, thanks for reading

I do not believe the information the guy Santos presented will change any recreational drug users habits. If somebody wants to take drugs and some people need (so to speak) to take drugs, then they will, its as simple as that. For example, say somebody buys one gram of coke a weekend, I personally dont think he will be thinking about his (small) part in killing 30,000 hectares of rainforest!!

If im not mistaken, didnt the bloke also say drug users directly funded terrorism?! That would probably be more of a concern if you ask me..

I'm the same as you on all your reply, except I tried to be veggie..lasted about a month, but I wont eat burgers or kfc for that matter.

I worked at a restaurant where the owners not only partook of said substance, But are/were in the import/export side of the powder. Also staff were selling it, as well as other drugs from the premises. So yes, totally agree, stupid rich and stupid poor.

I've been V for 8 years now, the first year was difficult though, kept falling off the wagon especially after a heavy night drinking would often end up down aforementioned burger bars next morning replacing lost iron!

I do not believe the information the guy Santos presented will change any recreational drug users habits. If somebody wants to take drugs and some people need (so to speak) to take drugs, then they will, its as simple as that. For example, say somebody buys one gram of coke a weekend, I personally dont think he will be thinking about his (small) part in killing 30,000 hectares of rainforest!!

If im not mistaken, didnt the bloke also say drug users directly funded terrorism?! That would probably be more of a concern if you ask me..

and if EVERYONE who bought a gramme of coke stopped...that would then begin to make a reduction in the deforestation

you bit!! it was also a sincere, thanks for reading.

Youre right, i dont think anything that the Columbian govt says will rectify the situation...but thats no reason for us just to shrug our collective shoulders.

More should be done to boycott legal and illegal trades....

Back