• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Oldham Athletic v Southend United

Can we praise the back 4 they have been excellent for a number of recent matches. Also from the start of the season we were rubbish up with the worst sides I can ever remember look at us now I think we are becoming a good side. Clifford is becoming a really good player and hobson is improving every game. John white just gives everything
It's just the slight problen that we have the weakest ever forward line in our history.
Quite amazing really as we have had some pretty poor ones in the past as well.

H
No, not at 0-0....Absolutely the right decision.
Have u ever seen ricky holmes play? If not I suggest u go on you tube.We was in desperate need of a goal today and he was the obvious choice to bring on!! Not defenders!!

Yes but you have to take chances to win a game
1 goal in 28 appearances this season, and according to the stats he is a striker, with him up front might as well give up now, trouble is I dont think he is good enough for the National League.

1 goal in 28 appearances this season, and according to the stats he is a striker, with him up front might as well give up now, trouble is I dont think he is good enough for the National League.

Regardless of what level Emile is good enough for, who would you play in that particular role instead? MM would be playing Ranger if he could but he can't now, so it has to be Emile. Unless you can think of someone?

Regardless of what level Emile is good enough for, who would you play in that particular role instead? MM would be playing Ranger if he could but he can't now, so it has to be Emile. Unless you can think of someone?

Still think Dieng could do a job up there. Has some composure in the box too.

Mellis,olyinka,ferguson,goodship,holmes,egbri the list goes on!! Any other player then acquah! Just try somthing different!! We tried moshi there and it worked out incredibly well so cant see why it cant or wouldn't work out with one of the players I mentioned.

Give Dieng and Goodship a chance, we have to try something different, what we have at present is not working, it’s the same week in week out.

Mellis,olyinka,ferguson,goodship,holmes,egbri the list goes on!! Any other player then acquah! Just try somthing different!! We tried moshi there and it worked out incredibly well so cant see why it cant or wouldn't work out with one of the players I mentioned.

Egbri as a lone target man? Good one!

Well obviously!! he has played 2 seasons now and starts every week!! Ricky's had 75 minutes total

For us he has played 75 minutes. He played a lot more for Northampton. In the last 2 years, he has only completed 90 minutes once. If you think he is ready to be thrown in for every game, be ready for another Ranger incident.

Egbri as a lone target man? Good one!

For us he has played 75 minutes. He played a lot more for Northampton. In the last 2 years, he has only completed 90 minutes once. If you think he is ready to be thrown in for every game, be ready for another Ranger incident.
But ranger was thrown in and got injured after 11 mins! Ricky has played 75 mins in 3 games and hasnt injured himself and was raring to go yesterday.The guy needs match time.

But ranger was thrown in and got injured after 11 mins! Ricky has played 75 mins in 3 games and hasnt injured himself and was raring to go yesterday.The guy needs match time.
Also I wasnt saying egbri was or should be a target man I was saying mm needs to just try somthing different.Forget about Pacific roles we need a finisher!!

I swear I come away from watching every game with a leg ache. I'm trying to kick every ball at goal (wollop have some). If I don't die from a heart attack watching this **** week in week out, I will die with a leg ache :Frustrated:

You are Lionel Messi and I claim my £5

I've waited until today before posting my thoughts, as I was pretty angry after the game and my views at the time may not have been representative.

That performance in isolation was actually not that bad. Solid defensively away from home, and maybe could and should have won it - even in a mediocre season that game would have been forgotten by now and we would have all moved on.

The reason of course why so many of us are fed up, is that it comes on the back of a whole season of inept attacking performances.

Abuse of any player I personally hate. To say that Emile is not good enough to play League 2 football YET is certainly not abuse - it is not even a criticism of him, it is merely an observation, and one that I believe is accurate. There are signs that he may yet develop into a competent professional, and I certainly hope he does, but he is not what we need NOW, and hasn't been all season. In the interests of balance, none of our forwards have been good enough.

We all know we have had 4 competent strikers leave the club in the last 12 months, without signing any replacements. Who is to blame for that? Ron, yes. MM, yes. But surely there are other senior figures within the club who must take some share, directors and/or MM's backroom staff for allowing this to happen?

Yes, we nearly signed Akinde, but we should not have been putting all our eggs in one basket, especially when it was obvious to most that we needed at least 2 new strikers. I know we are not going to be able to sign anyone prolific in our situation, but even a striker who could have scored 5 goals by this stage of the season would probably make the difference of us not being in the bottom 2 (which is the limit of our ambition for this season).

If we do go down (and at this stage I'm 50/50 on that), I firmly believe there will be many people to blame, over and above the usual suspects. However, one person who should definitely NOT be shouldering any of it is Emile Acquah. To throw him to the lions at this stage of his career is quite frankly a disgrace, and Ron, MM, and crew should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen.

I've waited until today before posting my thoughts, as I was pretty angry after the game and my views at the time may not have been representative.

That performance in isolation was actually not that bad. Solid defensively away from home, and maybe could and should have won it - even in a mediocre season that game would have been forgotten by now and we would have all moved on.

The reason of course why so many of us are fed up, is that it comes on the back of a whole season of inept attacking performances.

Abuse of any player I personally hate. To say that Emile is not good enough to play League 2 football YET is certainly not abuse - it is not even a criticism of him, it is merely an observation, and one that I believe is accurate. There are signs that he may yet develop into a competent professional, and I certainly hope he does, but he is not what we need NOW, and hasn't been all season. In the interests of balance, none of our forwards have been good enough.

We all know we have had 4 competent strikers leave the club in the last 12 months, without signing any replacements. Who is to blame for that? Ron, yes. MM, yes. But surely there are other senior figures within the club who must take some share, directors and/or MM's backroom staff for allowing this to happen?

Yes, we nearly signed Akinde, but we should not have been putting all our eggs in one basket, especially when it was obvious to most that we needed at least 2 new strikers. I know we are not going to be able to sign anyone prolific in our situation, but even a striker who could have scored 5 goals by this stage of the season would probably make the difference of us not being in the bottom 2 (which is the limit of our ambition for this season).

If we do go down (and at this stage I'm 50/50 on that), I firmly believe there will be many people to blame, over and above the usual suspects. However, one person who should definitely NOT be shouldering any of it is Emile Acquah. To throw him to the lions at this stage of his career is quite frankly a disgrace, and Ron, MM, and crew should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen.

Just seen the "highlight's" of yesterday's game again.While I agree with most of your post I can't agree with this.He missed two great chances yesterday -one a 1 on 1 with the keeper.Clearly he's never going to make it as an L1/2 striker.Granted our problems go far beyond him.Like you, I believe that we're 50/50 to go down.We used to be a decent little club to support.Not any more.The Chairman and the current manager stand on the brink of taking us to our first ever relegation to non-league for the first time in our 105 year history.In God's name go.

Last edited:
Back