• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OLI THE LOW DOWN

1890-ARMY

Right you want the low down on OLI

Right, Dennis Oli played the major part for Grays on the right hand side of Midfield.  He is skillful, very very quick and has a wicked eye for goal.

He then switched to Striker for a FA Trophy game to try and out fox the opposition and it worked, he tore Exeter to Shreads and done the same to Burton.

In total he must have played about 8 games as striker, the majority of appearences was on the right of midfield.

Yeah he didnt have much luck in earlier career but his confidence was sapped ala Fredy and Mitch

You will get him while he is on fire.

Cheers 1890.  Sorry we keep nicking all your players!  Who is the one you're mad about - isn't it Leroy Griffiths?

Incidentally, what happened with Leroy and the incident in Spain in which (according to your website) he was involved, but not with another Grays player?  It said that he had been reprimanded and that his future would be decided after the FA Trophy Final - what happened with all that?

rock.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ July 25 2005,14:14)]With all due respect, can three Grays players all be good enough for league one?
Two Gray's players have scored against Championship teams, and didn't look out of place....

Yeah fair enough view but I cant say he is crap when I have not seen him play crap.

Its not down for me to care or worry if he is good enough for league one, he was good enough for us, as was Cole and Fredy.

With regards Leroy, the guy was 100% Grays and would sometimes let his frustration spill into dressing room, wanted too and was good enough to play every minute of every game but sort of could not accept being dropped.  Didnt make him a bad person because the fans loved him, just made him hard to manage.

He would be first person to tell a player he was having a poor game and would never accept his own poor performances and would beat himself up over it.

He will be missed a real Fans Favorite

1890 - what happened to Leroy, has he been released?

rock.gif

Shame about that. If he has been let go, should we be looking at him, or is he a bit of a nutter (which is the suggestion of your e-mail)...?!

oops.gif

From the sounds of it, though, you rate Oli - is that a fair summary? What are his strengths & weaknesses, where did he come from before coming to Grays, is he any good and how old is he?

rock.gif

Apologies for all the questions... but then this is the only story in town today!!

Matt

In answer to the question of can 3 Grays players can make is yes and why not.

There have been lots of sides that have come out of the conference and immediately done well in a higher division. Notably Macclesfield promoted in their first season & Yeovil in their second. Both clubs kept a large core of the players who were with them in the conference.

I realise Grays were in the Ryman southern section last year, but peed all over the league, scored goals for fun, and won the FA Trophy. This record was similar to Canvey in 2003/04, but Canvey did not win the trophy. I think the major difference between Grays & Canvey is that Grays are full time professionals and therefore their players can take the step up with that bit more ease. Canvey struggled in the conference last year & I expect Grays to be better than Canvey for that very reason of being full time this term. Although i do not expect Grays to be amongst the leaders they will finish top half.

We have seen Eastwood & know what he can do, a lot have seen Mitchell Cole and have all agreed he looks a good prospect so why not Dennis Oil??

Having said that i would definitely prefer an established and experiend forward.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Having said that i would definitely prefer an established and experiend forward

Why not Dennis Oli and an experience striker? Or am I just being greedy
tounge.gif

Ok

Strengths, obvious ones would be his pace he has bundles of it, he loves to get the ball down and run.  Runs changes direction and is away again.  He is very strong and holds off players easily

Weakness, well I never see any but thats probably more to do with the level we play at.

I think the good thing about our players moving up is that we are fulltime and the players hit the ground running.

LEROY

Leroy was awesome for us he really was, he has now gone to Fisher Athletic.

With Leroy he's journey went non league ->League->non league.  Players dont get looked at usually when thats their path, plus he was 27 so its a case of 'been there seen that' with most clubs.

He was argubaly our best player but others have that x factor where you knew they could go on, with leroy he found his level

Sorry to hear about Leroy's departure... that's a fair few of your side who have left in the summer now, isn't it?!

oops.gif

However, I'm sure Stimmo knows what he's doing - and besides, you must be in a position to cream off the best non-league youngsters in Essex, now, following your promotion to the Conference. Indeed, some might say that you're looking like the leading Essex side in the Conference now.  Very few have moved on successfully from Daggers (apart from Benno), and none from Canvey so far as I can make out.

However, at least one Grays player has had a huge impact in the League already (Freddy) and two more may do so next season (Mitch & Oli).  That being so, youngsters will see Grays as a real springboard - and so should be beating a path to the Blues. That in turn should help to drive you up the Conference.

What's the aim for next season - top half, or can you go higher?

rock.gif

Thanks for the info, though - and the players.

biggrin.gif

Matt

With Mitch Oli and Leroy top 5 or 6 could have been on the cards.

I know cup matches are cup matches but we put 11 goals in 3 games against conference opposition shipping 1 goal.

But now I would say midtable

We signed Kightly who use to be with you (I think) went to Basildon etc

Well apparently used to be lightweight but he impressed a hell of alot in pre season and scored against a near full strenght C********r (which we won 2-1)

We also signed Glenn Poole from Thurrock who we wanted for ages, really good left sided player (hard to come by at any level)

You never know we havent spent money on a player for 2 years and have taken alot in thru Prize money and selling so we are in strong posistion to bring players in

Damn, it's not former Betis hitman Oli moving toi us then.

It sounded mad but then it is silly season!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ July 25 2005,16:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 25 2005,14:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Having said that i would definitely prefer an established and experiend forward

Why not Dennis Oli and an experience striker? Or am I just being greedy
tounge.gif
Definitely not.
Well we still need two more, so after Oli, one more will still be required.

with regards too can grays players be good enough. Look at freddy, mitchell cole looks class. Look at yoevil! I know they werent in rymans but not much diff?
suspect.gif

As to the question whether two more Grays players can cut it at this level, well, time will tell. Grays had a super season last term and were so far above the rest of their division it was obscene (although if Hornchurch had not collapsed I reckon they may have given them a run for theirn money!) so their players must be at least good enough to cut it in the conference, maybe above.

This is all a bit speculative though until we actually sign the chap. Anyhow, good luck for next season to Grays, and thanks for the players!
cool.gif

Let's not forget that nothing was confirmed in the Echo, it appears to be just a rumour at the moment. Nothing is coming out of the Grays official website about it.

Back