• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

count me in - that makes 9

(didn't someone else go in goal that night as well?)

Alex Smith - a bit taller. Perhaps with hindsight he should have gone in first.

PS Alex was a qualified referee and refereed a number of Sunday League matches.

I can remember the Scunthorpe game - think it was a Tuesday night match. I bunked off school for the day and started hitching at Kent Elms Corner, got one lift onto North Circular (pre M25) then another out onto the A1 where a Birds Eye lorry stopped for me and gave me a lift all the way to the ground! He even dropped me off after advising which part of the ground NOT to go into. Seem to remember that Billy Best's goal was a header which bounced a couple of times before ending up in the net for a 1-1 result which was all we needed. God knows how I got back again.

Happy days with the Leigh Comm lads, including the Gillingham invasion.

Had a chat with Spud Taylor a few years ago in a pub here in Rutland when he was managing Leicester as he lived locally.

.....just 41 years ago, we clinched our first ever Football League promotion at Scunthorpe.

Away support in those days was not what it is today and there were very few of us there to witness the historic occasion. Billy Best's goal secured the necessary point.
i was also at that game,went with brother grimms coach.saw every game home&away that season(lucky boy),remember some of the lads drinking beer at the back of the coach,on the way home,thinking what do these lads need booze for!!!:omg:
now i know:smile:. also remember them smashing up a wooden bus stop,on the way home,again thinking ,why do they drink&do this!! when i get older i wont do that:blush:

My Dad and me were part of the 17,059 - Belotti going off injured and the Villa cup game pitch invasion earlier that season are my earliest SUFC memories

Lets start the 17,059 club. Three of us found so far.
12, also at that game,when it all kicked off, i was at the top of the south bank,talking with the "brother grimms",at there "shed",where you could by old progs,etc. we are still in the 4th and they went on to be europeon champions(1982)!!

I had a brief look at that season and saw that 2 players won player of the season. Bill Garner, who scored 26 goals, and Brian Albeson.

Brian Albeson was a centre-half. He played 110 games for us before moving back to the North. He later opened a hairdressers in Darlington, where he played his football before us.

I found this on the Net:

Farewell to stalwart Alby

Brian Albeson, Darlington's stalwart centre half for four fourth division seasons in the late 1960s, has died, aged 56 (October 2003).

Alby, as generally he was known, signed from Bury in 1967, made 154 first team appearances and scored twice before moving on to Southend.

After a total 302 Football League appearances, he returned to Darlington where he ran a hairdressing business,

"He was a quiet, conscientious, consistent centre half, not the sort of harem-scarem you get these days," says Jack Watson, the club's assistant manager at the time.

Mind, adds Jack, you didn't get many harem-scarems in those days. Brian's funeral was on Tuesday 21st October 2003.

me again(you can tell its friday!!)..... rip brian albeson, a great centre half, like joe jacques. in fact when i was a child then,i went to the barbers & asked for a haircut like joe jacques, he had never heard of him,so he gave me a short back & sides instead....tosser,never went back again

Vivid memories of both games, recall hearing a massive 'Villa Villa' chant as we walked along West Road behind the old South Bank, by the time we had got into the ground the Pak had, shall we say, 'silenced' them. The Cambridge defeat was galling and Spud looked tiny in goal, think that was the same year that me and bruv gate-crashed his wedding reception at Lindisfarne in Westcliff.

me again(you can tell its friday!!)..... rip brian albeson, a great centre half, like joe jacques. in fact when i was a child then,i went to the barbers & asked for a haircut like joe jacques, he had never heard of him,so he gave me a short back & sides instead....tosser,never went back again

Didn't Joe Jacques have a bit of a dodgy, straight fringe?? Ha ha. God bless him!

i was also at that game,went with brother grimms coach.saw every game home&away that season(lucky boy),remember some of the lads drinking beer at the back of the coach,on the way home,thinking what do these lads need booze for!!!:omg:
now i know:smile:. also remember them smashing up a wooden bus stop,on the way home,again thinking ,why do they drink&do this!! when i get older i wont do that:blush:

Mr Osgood. that is the most amusing few lines I have ever read on Shrimperzone!! "I won't do that"!! Classic.

Seem to remember our best run of the season started after a 4-1 home defeat by C*l U :omg:. Add 2 more to the list of being there ,If only my Dad had lived to see us promoted to div 2 for the 1st time years later.Anyway a season of great memories ,big gates and Billy B and big Bill in full flight ,and Spud on the wing.

My Dad and me were part of the 17,059 - Belotti going off injured and the Villa cup game pitch invasion earlier that season are my earliest SUFC memories

Lets start the 17,059 club. Three of us found so far.

Remember that game and also the Villa League Cup game, as a young kid in the Paddocks watching the mass punch up on the field between the fans, I remember us playing a Russian team, Torpedoes somethink some time in early 70's, all very Cold Waresque. Anyone remember it ?

I was at Cambridge game as well with my dad and little brother -both sadly no longer around. I seem to remember Bill Garner was going to go in goal but the howls of the crowd seeing our main striker being sacrificed made him change his mind and Spud went in instead.

Remember that game and also the Villa League Cup game, as a young kid in the Paddocks watching the mass punch up on the field between the fans, I remember us playing a Russian team, Torpedoes somethink some time in early 70's, all very Cold Waresque. Anyone remember it ?

Yes. Zenit Leningrad, One all, and in the warm up they were doing shooting practice at the South Bank end and one rocket of a shot screamed over the bar and caught a guy plum on the side of his head as he carried two drinks along the terrace, knocked him flat.

Match Report from Robin's Excellent Data Base ​

Yes. Zenit Leningrad, One all, and in the warm up they were doing shooting practice at the South Bank end and one rocket of a shot screamed over the bar and caught a guy plum on the side of his head as he carried two drinks along the terrace, knocked him flat.

Match Report from Robin's Excellent Data Base

"SOUTHEND youngster Bobby Bennett grabbed last night's unique opportunity to lay the foundations for his first team future.

Bennett 20, whose skills have been confined to reserve football since his impressive debut against Chelsea in the League Cup two months ago used this Roots Hall friendly to remind manager Arthur Rowley of his talents.

And if he didn't actually overrun the Russian First Division side single-handed, the power and promise of his performance was unquestionably the most exciting feature of the match. Rowley may wish lo continue his policy of covering up a player who started last season as a Staines Town amateur. But he must have it in the back of the mind that the youngster could grow into a replacement for £100,000 Bill Garner
."

Sometimes things don't work out. Just the one League appearance for Bennett !

You've got to be kidding me, please tell me you didn't try to grow the dodgy Mexicana moustache as well.

So how did that one workout, sounds like another plan that didn't quite pan out right.

Back