• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Didn't Joe Jacques have a bit of a dodgy, straight fringe?? Ha ha. God bless him!

yes he did,in fact one of the worse hair "styles" ever.domnt know why i liked it,(had good eyesight&did not even drink then!) i was 14!! went in wanting to come out looking like joe jacques,but came out looking more like tony bentley. but at least i had hair then ...happy days

You've got to be kidding me, please tell me you didn't try to grow the dodgy Mexicana moustache as well.

johnsont.jpg

The Great Terry Johnson complete with 'tache.... The team from '70 - '71 including the infamous Jacques Fringe and magnificent Mexican 'taches from Keith Lindsey and Dave Chambers.

southendunited.jpg

Southend United 1970-71
Back row, left to right: Lawrie Leslie (Coach), Bill Garner, Brian Lloyd, Garry Steel, Mike Beesley, Keith Lindsey.
Middle row: Phil Chisnall, Joe Jacques, Gary Moore, Keith Fallon, Dave Barnett, Owen Simpson, Alex Smith, Ken Reynolds.
Front row: Ian Cowan, Billy Best, Dave Chambers, Arthur Rowley (Manager), Tony Bentley, John Baber, Peter Hunt.
From Picture by C.J. Mills, Football League Review no.5-24

Phil Chisnall (in picture) and Spud (not in pic) looked identical?!! Not sure if they were ever on the field together? Were they one and the same? An impressive array of high profile appearances between them... Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, Palace, England...peaking at Roots Hall!

Phil Chisnall (in picture) and Spud (not in pic) looked identical?!! Not sure if they were ever on the field together? Were they one and the same? An impressive array of high profile appearances between them... Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, Palace, England...peaking at Roots Hall!

my son thinks lewis hamilton & theo walcott !!(arsenal) are identical. its true, when lewis has a good weekend,theo has a crap one or vice-versa. something strange:omg:

I didn't get to that Scunthorpe game, but do remember we had a long unbeaten run and were playing Cambridge at home on a Friday in a game that was an absolute home banker. We'd beaten them easily at their place (the first side to do so I think since they became a league club) and this was a Friday night game that I couldn't go to for some reason.

I remember waking on the Saturday and rushing to the door to pick the paper up, flicking straight to the back pages for the result to see how many we'd won by... and then seeing we'd lost 2-1 and thought it was a misprint.

I still remember the feeling of despair and misery when I saw that result... I was gutted, absolutely gutted.

We still went up though behind Grimsby and I think Brentford and Scunthorpe went up with us too. Happy days, pre teletext, mobile phones and internet. It built up the anticipation more.
We did not beat Cambridge United away in 1971-72 we drew 1-1 (6,260) our goal was scored by Bernie Lewis.

Hey mate - that Cambridge away game was the first away game I went to. We won 3-0 and Cambridge had 3 of our ex-players playing for them - Trevor Roberts, Mel Slack and AN Other (can't remember who the 3rd was). I'd never seen a terrace as small as the one we were in behind the goal and the wall was so low that the ball kept going over it.
The above match was played in 1970-71 Southend won 3-0 at Cambridge with goals from Billy Best 2,and one from Phil Chisnall (5,701). The late great Trevor Roberts did not play in this match, neither did Mel Slack, however John McKinven did play & former centre-half Peter Watson was 1st.team coach. We were the first team to win a league match at the Abbey Stadium and in 2005 we were the last team to win there before they went back to the Conference.

Seven.

When they carried DB off the pitch on the stretcher, they had covered him completely with the blanket which rather worried me. We were already a goal up when he broke his collar bone diving into the post, Spud went into goal, and both their goals came from defenders not trusting Spud to come for the ball.
Both Cambridge United goals were scored by Brian Greenhalgh, he also scored in 1-1 draw earlier in the season an excellent goalscorer who scored 47 goals in 116 games between 1971-1974.

Both Cambridge United goals were scored by Brian Greenhalgh, he also scored in 1-1 draw earlier in the season an excellent goalscorer who scored 47 goals in 116 games between 1971-1974.

Did Bill Garner go in goal for a while?
I have had a dislike for Cambridge ever since that night, funny how things get to a 12 year old.
As an aside to this story, about 9 years ago I was on holiday in New Zealand. Visiting a Moari village the day after we did Col U in the LDV regional final, someone came up to me and asked if that was a southend shirt. He then said that his best man was a southend goalie, and did I remember Derek Bellotti?
Whilst chatting another bloke came up and asked if he had heard us right and were we talking about Southend? He went on to tell us he had been born in Gordon Place....

Did Bill Garner go in goal for a while?
I have had a dislike for Cambridge ever since that night, funny how things get to a 12 year old.
As an aside to this story, about 9 years ago I was on holiday in New Zealand. Visiting a Moari village the day after we did Col U in the LDV regional final, someone came up to me and asked if that was a southend shirt. He then said that his best man was a southend goalie, and did I remember Derek Bellotti?
Whilst chatting another bloke came up and asked if he had heard us right and were we talking about Southend? He went on to tell us he had been born in Gordon Place....
Not 100% sure but I think we were 1-0 up when Derek Bellotti(also known as "The Flying Dog") got carried off, he was replaced by Peter"Spud"Taylor then after we conceded the two goals he was then replaced by Alex Smith?.

Not 100% sure but I think we were 1-0 up when Derek Bellotti(also known as "The Flying Dog") got carried off, he was replaced by Peter"Spud"Taylor then after we conceded the two goals he was then replaced by Alex Smith?.

We were indeed 1-0 up, and I think you are right about Alex Smith - but it was too late.

Happy memories...not sure what number we're up to now ??

Didn't we have Bernie Lewis on one wing, Terry Johnson on the other supporting Bill Garner and Gary Moore up front.

Cambridge away...happy days...we started out at Cambridge City's ground until our driver got his bearings (pre Sat-Nav!!)

Back