• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

As far as conditions to freedom of speech are concerned, the one that I happen to think the most valid, is that people shouldn't be allowed to advocate violence.Otherwise,as far as I'm concerned,pretty much anything else goes.

I also happen to think that the way/manner in which people advocate their opinions is also of importance.Frankly, some of the foul mouthed,mindless and personal abuse,which seems to pass without comment or reprimand on SZ,is quite staggering.

You have no idea what passes without comment or reprimand as not everything happens on the public pages of the Zone. The required level of moderation tends to rise and fall depending upon conditions on the board but the one thing we've learnt over the years is that, except where our hands are truly forced, the board is best when it moderates itself. For the most part, posters who show others respect tend to receive it in return while those who set out to wind people up, purposely infuriate, push people's buttons, go out to get a reaction, hijack conversations and generally lessen their fellow posters' enjoyment of the site tend to attract unwanted attention. In some cases, the most effect means of moderation is to look not at the symptoms but who/what is actually causing the problems.

You have no idea what passes without comment or reprimand as not everything happens on the public pages of the Zone. The required level of moderation tends to rise and fall depending upon conditions on the board but the one thing we've learnt over the years is that, except where our hands are truly forced, the board is best when it moderates itself. For the most part, posters who show others respect tend to receive it in return while those who set out to wind people up, purposely infuriate, push people's buttons, go out to get a reaction and generally lessen their fellow posters' enjoyment of the site tend to attract unwanted attention. In some cases, the most effect means of moderation is to look not at the symptoms but who/what is actually causing the problems.

Actually,it was precisely what does appear on the public pages of SZ that I was referring to.

I accept the other points you make however.

We do try to jump on personal abuse when it appears, and often then get abused for doing so, what a thankless task we have !

We dont catch everything and you have the report post function to use, which you have yourself used and when you have the issue has been dealt with.

We do try to jump on personal abuse when it appears, and often then get abused for doing so, what a thankless task we have !

We dont catch everything and you have the report post function to use, which you have yourself used and when you have the issue has been dealt with.

I accept that but I've been using that particular function sparingly, ever since being warned for overuse of it, a while back.

If the abuse is bad then you wont get criticised for using it.

You do need to bear in mind that if you hijack a thread and people get abusive because of it then you arent putting yourself in a great position of course.

If the abuse is bad then you wont get criticised for using it.

You do need to bear in mind that if you hijack a thread and people get abusive because of it then you arent putting yourself in a great position of course.

And this is the point. We don't accept personal abuse on the Zone but, at the same time, we're not going to be wasting time taking people to task when the individual concerned has continually gone out of their way to cause annoyance and offence in the first place.

I accept the other points you make however.

I'm hopeful we've reached a point of enlightenment here and we can all move on.

A fair few on here going by your rep do not like what or the way you post and i include my self if the list and i have called you many a namemost have made me chuckle and all are in my very humble opinion deserved.
I call you a f"""""" idiot because i really beilive you are a f****** idiot,in the past you have put the most horrid comments on posts that i feel desevre your removal from the site,in my humble opinion you have a problem and heed help.
I know you are old and as such the functions start to wane with age but things like placing a Nazi death camp slogan at the bottom of your posts,calling a Serb whoes history you know nothing about a death camp denire(sorrys wifes asleep but you get the gist) and even wishing myself dead will not and do not endear you to the zone users.
Freedom of speech is a given but you take mine away more then the mods ever do,i posted a picture of you the other day gleemed from a open forum and in no way copyrighted so others can feel sorry for you as i do but it was pulled.
You have a opinion on everything and could be a valid poster on here but instead you try and set out to make yourself as popular as old abu hooky hand in a condom fcatory.

I'm hopeful we've reached a point of enlightenment here and we can all move on.[/QUOTE]

One of the things that I love about the Zone is the great variety of Shrimperfolk who post on here. It's always a treat to have a pantomime villain in the cast too and so I always know what threads to check out by checking BarnaBlue's rep first. Of course it would be nice if people didn't attack each other quite so viciously at times, but then there is often a bit of previous that goes with each new encounter and I guess we just have to accept that these are old conflicts wrapped up in a new thread. And I guess a mod's job is pretty thankless too ... so hats off to you guys ... it's probably like being a Social Worker: you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

A fair few on here going by your rep do not like what or the way you post and i include my self if the list and i have called you many a namemost have made me chuckle and all are in my very humble opinion deserved.
I call you a f"""""" idiot because i really beilive you are a f****** idiot,in the past you have put the most horrid comments on posts that i feel desevre your removal from the site,in my humble opinion you have a problem and heed help.
I know you are old and as such the functions start to wane with age but things like placing a Nazi death camp slogan at the bottom of your posts,calling a Serb whoes history you know nothing about a death camp denire(sorrys wifes asleep but you get the gist) and even wishing myself dead will not and do not endear you to the zone users.
Freedom of speech is a given but you take mine away more then the mods ever do,i posted a picture of you the other day gleemed from a open forum and in no way copyrighted so others can feel sorry for you as i do but it was pulled.
You have a opinion on everything and could be a valid poster on here but instead you try and set out to make yourself as popular as old abu hooky hand in a condom fcatory.
[/QUOTE]

I'm hopeful we've reached a point of enlightenment here and we can all move on.
And so it goes(on).
No need to feel sorry for me Tony.I'm happily married,have two great kids and do work that I really enjoy.Meanwhile, you continue your personal vendetta against me on an almost daily basis.
Age,most people find as they get older, is a relative concept.I'm certainly older than you(at 48)but you're hardly a spring chicken, either.
It's a pity you didn't take G.'s advice above.I'm prepared to move on.You're clearly not.

Barnablue said:
And so it goes(on).
No need to feel sorry for me Tony.I'm happily married,have two great kids and do work that I really enjoy.Meanwhile, you continue your personal vendetta against me on an almost daily basis.
Age,most people find as they get older, is a relative concept.I'm certainly older than you(at 48)but you're hardly a spring chicken, either.
It's a pity you didn't take G.'s advice above.I'm prepared to move on.You're clearly not.

You know what, I think we need to see how things pan out before we decide who's taken whose advice as so far, all we've seen are words. It's great if you're going to take some things on board, but I figure you're also going to have to be patient while others thaw out.

Anyway, a good place to start is with a line drawn under this thread I think.

Ooops, Ken beat me to that anyway!

THREAD CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back