• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Original songs and the best cover versions

Galaxie 500's cover of Yoko Ono's 'Listen the Snow is Falling' is utterly wonderful, which is a little surprising considering how bad the original is...

[video=youtube;qX-o3rN99pI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX-o3rN99pI[/video]

I love a bit of Galaxie 500

Reminds me of The Indie Chart from The Chart Show along with Joe by The Inspiral Carpets, Made Of Stone by The Stone Roses Indian Rope by The Charlatans, Here Comes Your Man by The Pixies and also runs such as Birdland, World Of Twist, etc.

House of the Rising Sun by the Animals. I guess it's a cover as like a lot of their stuff its a re-recording of an old folk song.

Daniella Andrade does some brilliant covers, including 'Where is my mind' and Gnarls Barkley's 'Crazy'. Check her out on Youtube.

the Gourds do a great cover of Gin and Juice.

Also, Richard Cheese is amazing, and check out the Coverville podcast for some incredible covers.

Al Green's How can you mend a broken heart > Bee Gees
George Benson's On Broadway > The Drifters
The Fugees' Killing me Softly > Roberta Flack

and obviously

Jimi Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower > Bob Dylan

Neil Young`s version of All along the Watchtower is pretty good as well :thumbsup:

Guilty pleasure time.................

All of me John England - Collabro

[video=youtube;TSIhtIm-3W8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSIhtIm-3W8[/video]

A new one for me. I've always loved the original version of the Sound of Silence, but this one is great in it's own right. A heavy metal band doing Simon and Garfunkel, outrageous! Great vid as well. by the way.

[video=youtube;u9Dg-g7t2l4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4[/video]

A new one for me. I've always loved the original version of the Sound of Silence, but this one is great in it's own right. A heavy metal band doing Simon and Garfunkel, outrageous! Great vid as well. by the way.

[video=youtube;u9Dg-g7t2l4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4[/video]

Was that the one played on Wittertainment a few weeks back? :stunned:

Was that the one played on Wittertainment a few weeks back? :stunned:

If I knew what Wittertainment was I could probably answer you, but I can't cos I don't. It is Radio 2 record of the week, which is a bit weird, having a heavy metal band as record of the week. It's still good.

Later.............I've googled Wittertainment now, so onward goes my digital education.

If I knew what Wittertainment was I could probably answer you, but I can't cos I don't. It is Radio 2 record of the week, which is a bit weird, having a heavy metal band as record of the week. It's still good.

Later.............I've googled Wittertainment now, so onward goes my digital education.

Poor show RHB....Wittertainment is an excellent show (Mayo & Kermode, R5 film show)! Get yourself converted and say hello to Jason Isaacs.

They have a playlist and (I think 'cos I can't see it at work) this was on it. I 'unking hated it.

I have a soft spot for Rufus Wainwright`s version

Nowhere near as good as John Cale's.Which sparked off all the subsequent cover versions in the first place.

Talking about covers, Martin Carthy didn't fancy playing his excellent version of Heartbreak Hotel, (which John Cale also does), in concert here last week-in response to a request from someone in the audience-but he did play his excellent version of The Third Man theme instead.

Back