• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

......we have a manager that not only has just 6 months left on his contract but also seems to be bending over for any other job within the footballing pyramid.

To be fair to PB - these two situations are probably intrinsically linked - if my contract was expiring then I would be looking around for my next job as well.

Be careful what you wish for. Sometimes - and I emphasise sometimes - the only thing worth reading on this site is the PB Diaries.:winking:

Just a prediction.
Our next manager will either get us relegated or will be sacked when we are almost relegated
We are long overdue a crap managerial appointment , its been a good few years since Mr Wignall .

I have that fear as well, despite what some on here are saying I don't think our squad is talented at all aside from Oxley, Leonard (who's off anyway), Kightly (although he's a bit rusty at the moment), Wordsworth and Coker, and the squad is aging as it is (although we do have some kids coming through and Kiernan to come back from injury). If we have a new manager next season we could be in a relegation fight if he doesn't pull off some shrewd signings.

Can I ask that other MOD's review my post that was deleted? Ken (MacNasty). This is a case of someone who doesn't like a post because theyre a MOD and I went against something they said. What right does this person to play god because it's not what they believe is right or wrong.

Ken, can you look into this please, it's not right and bordering on manipulating this site.

You obviously don't like the truth YORKSHIRE, deleted a post (why) because I criticised you? Grow up.

I had already warned you to keep on topic and you didn't heed that warning so take your own advice and don't start crying about off-topic posts being deleted.

This thread isn't about me, unless you are proposing me as the next manager of Southend United.

I had already warned you to keep on topic and you didn't heed that warning so take your own advice and don't start crying about off-topic posts being deleted.

This thread isn't about me, unless you are proposing me as the next manager of Southend In.ited.

Where did you warn me? It's all about you, if anyone goes against them then you delete them. You're very much a bully.

Don't read it then and stop hijacking this thread with your moaning.

Fully agree. If you think a thread is pointless then jog on, no one is asking you to read it, add to it or agree with it.

Too many people on here looking for clique brownie points by trying to belittle others. Pathetic human being's.

The people that do this need to have a little think about how rude this is and how it can put people off posting or reading anything on here. I know too many people that stay away because of these reasons. I have done it myself several times.

Like I said, you don't need to agree with it but don't shut someone down because it's not what your thinking. Would you like it if someone did this to you?

Can I ask that other MOD's review my post that was deleted? Ken (MacNasty). This is a case of someone who doesn't like a post because theyre a MOD and I went against something they said. What right does this person to play god because it's not what they believe is right or wrong.

Ken, can you look into this please, it's not right and bordering on manipulating this site.

Ok, I'll step in.

I don't want to see our manager leave right now but a pet peev of mine is people saying 'manager out' and then not having sensible suggestions for the next step. This thread is an antidote to that and also distinct from ones that are just about whether or not Brown should be in a job. It is a legitimate thread.

I can see YB deleted one post as threads are better for all concerned if they stay on topic and don't have posts like...erm...this one dotted around them.

Case closed, nothing to see here, Up The Shrimpers, etc.

Do we go for:

A coaching novice but someone who already knows the players?

A first time manager who has already cut his teeth in coaching and is looking for a promotion to the top job. The only time Ron went this way, he made his most successful appointment with Tilly.

An experienced manager who is available as has already failed elsewhere? This is Ron's favoured route but the appointments (Alan Little, Steve Wignall, Paul Sturrock and Phil Brown and the (fortunately failed appointment of Ian Atkins)) have had at best mixed success.

An experienced manager at the lower levels looking for a promotion to the big time?

What direction would you be looking to go in?

Personally, I'd love to have a manager here who is connected with the club and has a bit of a feel for it.

A kind of Powell/Maher/Barrett combo. There's a blend there of experienced manager/recent ex-player liked by people/someone who is already working with the younger players.

In an ideal world and as a business sense move, developing our own players and bringing them through is the future. The issue is, as fans, we would need to be patient and possibly even accept dropping a level for the longer term gain.

Tilly was a great appointment, in the end. Initially he was keeping the seat warm for Ian Atkins, whose contract at Oxford was expiring, but he did such a good job that we stayed with him. He did have Brushy as an ally, like Webby did with Kevin Lock. Hence why a combination of the three mentioned earlier could work well.

Add to the fact that Coxy is doing his coaching badge, I believe and Anton would fit well into the set-up and the prospect of all these guys is quite exciting for me.

All in all, I think we should continue to bring through youngsters, but must be mindful of our league status, as well.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll step in.

I don't want to see our manager leave right now but a pet peev of mine is people saying 'manager out' and then not having sensible suggestions for the next step. This thread is an antidote to that and also distinct from ones that are just about whether or not Brown should be in a job. It is a legitimate thread.

I can see YB deleted one post as threads are better for all concerned if they stay on topic and don't have posts like...erm...this one dotted around them.

Case closed, nothing to see here, Up The Shrimpers, etc.

So it's YB who starts a thread and if he doesn't like the reply he has a right to delete it...... Laughable, manipulating and bullying because it goes against what he believes.

No point having a debate on here when it's like that.

Someone told me to shut my mouth on Saturday, why wasn't that deleted?

So it's YB who starts a thread and if he doesn't like the reply he has a right to delete it...... Laughable, manipulating and bullying because it goes against what he believes.

No point having a debate on here when it's like that.

Someone told me to shut my mouth on Saturday, why wasn't that deleted?

Maybe because a mod didn't see it? I was hardly online at all on Saturday and certainly didn't fancy spending my evening raking over the coals of another cup defeat.

If we see something abusive like that, we will invariably deal with it. Please do use the 'report' function for any such cases.

This thread is about what style of manager Southend should be looking at in the future. Saying it is a boring or pointless thread doesn't really add anything to the debate.

Maybe because a mod didn't see it? I was hardly online at all on Saturday and certainly didn't fancy spending my evening raking over the coals of another cup defeat.

If we see something abusive like that, we will invariably deal with it. Please do use the 'report' function for any such cases.

This thread is about what style of manager Southend should be looking at in the future. Saying it is a boring or pointless thread doesn't really add anything to the debate.

Thank you, I will do in future.

Just a thought.

Shouldn't a post be reported to a moderator before it can be considered necessary to delete it?

The "off-topic" thing I've kind of never really understood. Pretty much all threads drift off-topic at some point.

I haven't seen the post that was deleted, so I'm not sure what was said.

This is a decent thread and some good points potentially will come from it.

I think we can all side-step the posts we choose to read/not read without the need to have them deleted.

Only my viewpoint.

Personally, I'd love to have a manager here who is connected with the club and has a bit of a feel for it.

A kind of Powell/Maher/Barrett combo. There's a blend there of experienced manager/recent ex-player liked by people/someone who is already working with the younger players.

In an ideal world and as a business sense move, developing our own players and bringing them through is the future. The issue is, as fans, we would need to be patient and possible even accept dropping a level for the longer term gain.

Tilly was a great appointment, in the end. Initially he was keeping the seat warm for Ian Atkins, whose contract at Oxford was expiring, but he did such a good job that we stayed with him. He did have Brushy as an ally, like Webby did with Kevin Lock. Hence why a combination of the three mentioned earlier could work well.

Add to the fact that Coxy is doing his coaching badge, I believe and Anton would fit well into the set-up and the prospect of all these guys is quite exciting for me.

All in all, I think we should continue to bring through youngsters, but must be mindful of our league status, as well.

I love the idea of Maher as he'd be the ideal person to bring through the u23s. It would be like the old Liverpool boot room, which worked so well for them for so many years. Promoting from within encourages managers to promote from within. I think Barrett or Ferdinand could maybe work as well from that perspective (if Cox is still doing his coaching badge he presumably wouldn't be ready just yet?).

Not sure I'd combine them, I'd look for an experienced number two to work with them (Coughlan? Preferably someone with extensive managerial experience themselves to mentor them).

I love the idea of Maher as he'd be the ideal person to bring through the u23s. It would be like the old Liverpool boot room, which worked so well for them for so many years. Promoting from within encourages managers to promote from within. I think Barrett or Ferdinand could maybe work as well from that perspective (if Cox is still doing his coaching badge he presumably wouldn't be ready just yet?).

Not sure I'd combine them, I'd look for an experienced number two to work with them (Coughlan? Preferably someone with extensive managerial experience themselves to mentor them).

Agreed and there would also be an association with the fans. Somebody pointed out the other day that one of the issues with PB is that people don't feel overly connected to him. You never hear any songs mentioning his name. Not like the old days of "Going up with Tilly & Brush" for example.

We are a family type of club and people who come down to Roots Hall do like to feel connected with the club. Looking at positive things like the work done for Alan Moody recently. Just feels like people almost personally knew him.

In that respect, keeping it in-house is the best move, for me. Coxy still has a few years playing left, but you can tell he is an organizer and likes the club and the area.

Definitely someone we should try to keep.

On the combining front. Maybe Powelly and Maher, with AB working with the youngsters for a while.

So was your private message you sent me the other day DWB :smile:

That wasn't off topic at all, it was very much on topic, as you well know. I take you you have taken no notice of the message or don't believe the contents of the message?

Back