• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
Was it just me or did time seem to stop/slow donw in a surreal way for the Gillingham team when the ball bounced straight to Bentley?

Now, I appreciate that the stand had the mystical power to obstruct almost everyone's view at most instances during the match but I swear no-one even reacted in the slightest.

Every other time I have seen something like this (Whittaker's goal for Macc against is still a visible memory) the keeper realises his error and sprints back to the net, one or two defenders realise the danger and try and cover the goal at all costs and the midfield close the player down as soon as possible so he doesn't get a shot at an empty net.

Today, the keeper seemed none the wiser as to what had happened (although may well have been injured by his own player), the defenders seemed to assume their keeper sprinting out and collidihng with his own man was a foul and the midfielders presumably had a bet on whether Benno would do it or not.

Let's be honest, Benno's left foot isn't quite in the class of Giggs or Recoba yet he was given time, space and a clear shooting root to goal. He literally rolled it in from miles out*!

(*not literally miles though)

I agree, time seemed to stand still for 10 seconds!! A possible league record for ball leaving boot to crossing the line?

I thought that too, everyone stopped except Bentley, and even he just rolled it into the net with no purpose. Then our players just had their hands in the air, it was very surreal indeed.

Saw it this morning on 'the championship' and it did not seem to take as long as it did yesterday though!

Maybe they edited the speed or something!

rock.gif

Indeed it was a surreal moment - you'd have expected someone (except Bentley of course!) to have reacted. Looked just as silly on the Championship this morning!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Museshrimper @ Oct. 02 2005,09:55)]I thought that too, everyone stopped except Bentley, and even he just rolled it into the net with no purpose. Then our players just had their hands in the air, it was very surreal indeed.
Did it even hit the net!?

it seemed to me that everybody just stopped and didn't know what to do. When the ball eventually hit the net I had to look at the ref to see if he actually gave it

I think everyone was waiting for the referee to dream up some reason for disallowing it.

Incidentally, I think it was a high quality finish from Benno. I was very impressed by his calmness in just rolling it in: he didn't panic and blast it over.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 02 2005,19:52)]I think everyone was waiting for the referee to dream up some reason for disallowing it.

Incidentally, I think it was a high quality finish from Benno. I was very impressed by his calmness in just rolling it in: he didn't panic and blast it over.
Totally agree - it was a fantastic finish.

Back